IGNORED

Opcode ColecoVision wishlist....

opcode

Is it 100% certain that you will release arcade perfect ports of classics fore the SGM2?(Zaxxon, Front Line etc..) or maybe Collectorvision will?

I will. Zaxxon is already running on rev 1 board. Totally playable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/16/2019 at 7:50 AM, opcode said:

All of that is nice if they were aiming a very niche market of a few thousand people. Today’s entertainment world sells at the strength of familiar brands. None of that is. There is a different between a couple of guys doing this as a sort of hobby, and a team of seasoned people, with a full company infrastructure doing this as a business. You have to sell at least hundreds of thousands to make it work.

Although they are catering to the retro crowd with some of the remakes, they are mainly targeting the over 1 billion casual gamers out there, gamers that don’t buy a switch but would hopefully buy this System, with a clear understanding that all games are curated and targeting family friendly gaming with a focus on couch coop.  There is much clearer and expanded reasons discussed in the Amico thread in the Intellivision forum, feel free to peruse it to get a better understanding of what they are trying to achieve

bottom line: you will not be in competition with them, not targeting the same crowd

• Like 3

10 hours ago, doubledown said:

I think arcades do too...

Not interested in MAME(hate all the hassle of going from PC to CRT) i dont have the time or money to wire a arcade cabinet..

I want to be able to play arcade perfect ports(not revised versions) of Zaxxon,Popeye, Gorf etc..from my couch with my colecovision on CRT.(with a real physical media i can hold in my hands)

I think maybe in a naive way i am hoping that the SGM2 + Collector vison + Pixel Boy would deliver on that account.

Once all the early classic arcade games have been covered i will then look into brand new games.

• Like 1

Although they are catering to the retro crowd with some of the remakes, they are mainly targeting the over 1 billion casual gamers out there, gamers that don’t buy a switch but would hopefully buy this System, with a clear understanding that all games are curated and targeting family friendly gaming with a focus on couch coop.  There is much clearer and expanded reasons discussed in the Amico thread in the Intellivision forum, feel free to peruse it to get a better understanding of what they are trying to achieve

bottom line: you will not be in competition with them, not targeting the same crowd

I was just surprised that during their first presentation they talked about sprite specs, thousands of sprites in screen, and that is why I was expecting something more retro inspired in terms of hardware.
But from the screenshots it seems to me they are using some generic 3D chipset with no dedicated sprite generator. Sort of misleading.

Anyways, I don’t think it would be a good idea to go to the Intellivision forum to discuss this. Any negative comment coming from me would sound self-serving, but my humble opinion is that I would be very surprised if they pull this off. As software for an existing platform or as a service, maybe. But requiring a new platform, I just don’t see how it can work. Comparing to Wii is a stretch, as is comparing their controller to the Wiimote. There is no recognizable brand involved. People want familiar nowadays.

That is the nice about hobby. You can just do what you love and believe in, no pressure. As long as you can sell enough to pay for all the costs involved, that is good enough. :)

I would appreciate some input. I am looking for 50 and only 50 people that would be interested in getting my printed boxes for DKA and SGM Pro. No actual game or module, only boxes. Boxes are in new shinny state, and no more will be sold or made available, remaining stock will be discarded (for the game, even if when it get released, I won't be able to offer boxes anyway). The money would go to fund a very special project that I would present later this year. I want to speed up thing with this project and I know a lot of people have been waiting. Please contact me if you be interested. Eduardo [at] opcodegames [dot] com

• Like 1

I have started getting quit a few requests for the boxes. Thank you for those who sent me emails. I will contact you shortly with details.

In the meantime, I am happy to announce that I have struck a deal with Collectorvision to support Phoenix. Pac-Man DX and others should benefit from the additional hardware features available in the Phoenix hardware.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, opcode said:

In the meantime, I am happy to announce that I have struck a deal with Collectorvision to support Phoenix. Pac-Man DX and others should benefit from the additional hardware features available in the Phoenix hardware.

Will the games still work on a stock CV but without the Phoenix features?

I don’t think it is a problem if a comment on the terms of the deal here. I will be adding Phoenix enhanced modes to my future CV games. In exchange CollectorVision has agreed not to compete in the controller space. Deal was made in very friendly terms, and I am glad that we all are finding our places to contribute in the scene. In are a small scene, and competition makes things harder to accomplish, as it fragments an already small base.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, opcode said:

I don’t think it is a problem if a comment on the terms of the deal here. I will be adding Phoenix enhanced modes to my future CV games. In exchange CollectorVision has agreed not to compete in the controller space. Deal was made in very friendly terms, and I am glad that we all are finding our places to contribute in the scene. In are a small scene, and competition makes things harder to accomplish, as it fragments an already small base.

Just to know what that changes, is that just with the hand-held NTT controller style gamepad category, or does that also include the Edladdin arcade box one and the spinner, paddle and trackball they have spoke of making?

Just to know what that changes, is that just with the hand-held NTT controller style gamepad category, or does that also include the Edladdin arcade box one and the spinner, paddle and trackball they have spoke of making?

The controller fully supports the standard CV controller, but adds 2 extra buttons. How those two extra buttons are going to be used is yet to be decided. We could offer partial SAC compatibility, but then very few games use the SAC controller, and the way Coleco implemented the extra buttons was questionable (extra buttons are mapped as extra keys of the keypad, and pressing any keypad keys will interfere with them, as will pressing both 3rd and 4th button simultaneously). So another option is to offer those extra buttons as a new scheme that actually works.

We will also offer new faceplate overlays for games. So hopefully Pac-Man and others.

No spinners though.

• Like 1

Right and very true.  In the original line up of ColecoVision games, only 4 games make use of the extra SA buttons and don't require the Coleco SAC Spinner:

Front Line - requires 4 SA buttons with original Coleco version of the game

Rocky: Super Action Boxing - requires 4 SA buttons

Spy Hunter - modifies control scheme to use 4 SA buttons, vs. 2 Hand Controller side buttons, plus 2 keypad columns

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator - modifies control scheme to use 4 SA buttons, vs. 2 Hand Controller side buttons and joystick

Then there is the obvious interference issues whereas button 3 & 4 cannot be pressed at the same time as independents, or in conjunction with the keypad buttons.  Obviously this depends on the control scheme of the game as to whether or not it is an issue.  

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Will the games still work on a stock CV but without the Phoenix features?

3 hours ago, opcode said:

Yes, sure. But if you have a Phoenix you get improved color palette, perhaps better sound, things like that.

Please, please make these games with your original customers in mind, and the Phoenix stuff second, if that makes sense.

I want nothing to do with their stuff, and I really hope I don't feel like an afterthought once these games start coming out.. like "you'll get a great game, but you're getting the real experience playing it on a Phoenix" or something. 

Please, please make these games with your original customers in mind, and the Phoenix stuff second, if that makes sense.

I want nothing to do with their stuff, and I really hope I don't feel like an afterthought once these games start coming out.. like "you'll get a great game, but you're getting the real experience playing it on a Phoenix" or something. 

Hm, that is interesting. See, no worries. That isn’t the plan. I am not creating content exclusive to Phoenix. I am just saying that if you have a Phoenix you can enjoy enhanced color palettes, no flicker at all, improved sound, etc. Nothing is being subtracted, just added. For exemple, the CV offers a fixed palette of 15 colors. There is nothing we can do about that. But if you happen to have a Phoenix (or F18A), you get custom palettes that better represents the original arcade palettes etc. You can still enjoy the same game on a regular CV though.

It would be interesting if we could purchase an Omni core and cartridge port for the Phoenix in the future.

That isn’t possible for a number of reasons, one of them being the fact that an OMNI cartridge has 100+ pins. And that there is no OMNI core, since OMNI isn’t FPGA based.

18 hours ago, opcode said:

I would appreciate some input. I am looking for 50 and only 50 people that would be interested in getting my printed boxes for DKA and SGM Pro. No actual game or module, only boxes. Boxes are in new shinny state, and no more will be sold or made available, remaining stock will be discarded (for the game, even if when it get released, I won't be able to offer boxes anyway). The money would go to fund a very special project that I would present later this year. I want to speed up thing with this project and I know a lot of people have been waiting. Please contact me if you be interested. Eduardo [at] opcodegames [dot] com

That would be lovely, sent you a regular mail :)

On 11/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, opcode said:

Long waited game will require a very unusual distribution method. It will involve sending me a particular original CV cartridge that isn't working properly and that requires fixing. I will then fix the cartridge and send it back to you. Luckily you will be able to play your beloved pack-in again.

I am interested in this offer to repair my beloved pack-in game.  Watching thread for updates.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:07 PM, Loafer said:

Yeah I don’t recommend going to that thread to debate their business model I just meant to more or less get a better idea on what they are trying to do.  All good 

Yeah, boy did I get it when I said I didn't like the original intellivision controller's side buttons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, opcode said:

I have started getting quit a few requests for the boxes. Thank you for those who sent me emails. I will contact you shortly with details.

Does that mean that if or when you rerelease Gradius, it will come with enhanced features for the Phoenix such as smooth scrolling?  Day 1 order if so.