IGNORED

Atari 2600 Junior screws

CanadianAtari2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently added a composite mod to my 2600 Jr. and discovered that I had lost all of the original since the last time I had opened up the case.  I went to the hardware store with the case in hand and started threading various sizes (from small to large) until I was satisfied that they would hold and not break the standoffs.

I'm using a 1/2" #6 screw with a pan-head (flat on bottom, curved on top).  Not sure of the thread type, but I think my case was rethreaded by using the new screws; I have experienced no issues from doing that.  My only regret is not buying the Phillips version of these -- flat head screws are a nuisance to deal with.

IMG_20200802_211341.jpg

IMG_20200802_211442.jpg

IMG_20200802_212040.jpg

Edited by Steve Guidi

• 2 years later...

I just received a 2600 jr off of ebay. I've tested it and it works fine, but it also has 0 screws holding it together! 

What gives!  Why are people removing the screws?  I know the plastic case can become brittle and break easily and I suppose the screws could theoretically fall out themselves, but at least in my instance, the case, including the sockets the screws go into, don't seem cracked or broken at all.