IGNORED

SID Master and all software packages by Marc Hull

Ksarul

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:55 PM, Asmusr said:

The ultimate sound expansion should be backwards compatible but provide value to existing software just by plugging it in, in the same way as the F18A does. Maybe one could choose between different default sounds/wave forms (the default-default being good old square waves) and different effects (reverb, fake stereo, etc.)? Then it should allow developers to produce better sound that falls back nicely to the standard PSG by having registers for choosing wave forms for each channel, registers for stereo effects, panning, echo, etc. And finally it should include new features, e.g. more channels, sound synthesis, etc. You could use the new features to enrich the sound in a way that would still fall back nicely to the standard PSG, or you could break compatibility and add different 'sound drivers' to your games. 

SID Master is great, but so far I haven't had the drive to support it in my games. For the hardware guys out there, if you're looking for a project, I'm repeating my idea for a new, backwards compatible, sound chip/card.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, CosmicBoy said:

I want one :D

As soon as my basic tests are complete, I will start selling the bare boards. I may also do complete assemblies for those without soldering skills/time (the buyer will just need to supply their own SID chip, as they aren't available in quantity and the prices are all over the place).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

As soon as my basic tests are complete, I will start selling the bare boards. I may also do complete assemblies for those without soldering skills/time (the buyer will just need to supply their own SID chip, as they aren't available in quantity and the prices are all over the place).

Has anyone ever tried one of the replacements like nanosid,swinsid or armsid.

I already have an armsid and can try it then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a bit busy this week building a few test boards. . .here's the first one with all soldering except for the 9V regulator needed for an 8580, but I won't need that yet, as my test chips are 6581s. The other seven test boards are not too far behind this one.

IMG_4675.JPG

• Like 7

Is it too late or too much of a wish to have the activity LED illuminate when the SID's *CS line is active rather than the TI address space?  Real bugaboo of mine is that the LED stays lit most of the time even when not in use.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Is it too late or too much of a wish to have the activity LED illuminate when the SID's *CS line is active rather than the TI address space?  Real bugaboo of mine is that the LED stays lit most of the time even when not in use.

I think the SID's *CS is tied permanently low - the SID is continually processing the data in the data latch that feeds it.

• Like 1

This "feature" of the SID Master actually caused me some trouble in MAME, as it means that you have to supply all bus levels to the card even when another device has been selected. This in turn broke the previous Horizon emulation; I would not have rewritten the Horizon if there had not been the SID Master issue.

The SID Master is always active unless the 9901 is addressed.