IGNORED

What have I done...

Opry99er

1 hour ago, Opry99er said:

Surprisingly, getting a complete and tested 100/102 isn't as cheap as $50 usually.  

I had to get the prettiest and most complete one out there (ugh) and that cost me a chunk.  But it will hold up on the resale market in case I ever need to move off it.

Yes, don't worry, I do the same thing. Unfortunately ends up costing a bit more, but I think it's worth it. I think the TPPD2 I purchased came all the way from Scotland!

• Like 1

If you don't need the box and foam, they're very reasonable.

I just looked at completed auctions on eBay and found about a dozen that sold for $50 or less.  No lines from bad zebra strips, no missing keys and little to no yellowing.  At last year's Tandy Assembly there was quite a selection in the $30 to $50 range.  I believe the Model 100 offers the most bang for the buck in vintage computing by far.  You can barely get a useless Mattel Aquarius in that price range.

Personally, I've picked up seven of them through two different CL ads.  Five are in excellent shape and two are parts machines (bad zebra strips).  All have the pleather cases, manuals and power supplies.  I believe all have the full 32K and several have various special ROMs from back in the day.  I also have a Model 200 with the large flip up screen that's in excellent shape but has turned a nasty brown...needs a retrobrite treatment.  All were free. 

• Like 2

Wow!!!  I need to shop wherever you're shopping!

The 200 is cool.... but if I understand it correctly, the 48k of RAM is split into two separate banks and so any game or application requiring over 24k cannot run on the 200 without significant modification.  Which is a shame, because it's probably the most handsome laptop I've ever laid eyes on.

I like the 102 a LOT from what I've seen and read.  Can't wait to dig in and start learning all the intricacies.

Edited by Opry99er

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to playing with this.  Haven't had a chance to BBS with it yet, but I've played around with BASIC and wrote the first few paragraphs of a silly story in the text editor.  I am VERY impressed with the text editor and the keyboard.  A ton of fun to use, and I can't wait to get it online.  :) 

9918DFDD-DC1B-48BE-8AFC-F4932FD5BA9E.jpeg

82FE14DD-5953-435C-AE96-0F39E9AAF385.jpeg

2108EF35-7E68-4F42-B86D-05308E7614F3.jpeg

F6E23A13-73AC-46E5-83BF-4C6BAC1AAEBE.jpeg

D70EF2E2-E5E9-467C-8C4E-2E2EA766BD13.jpeg

A91FFB4C-7D62-4EB1-B6FF-B70FDC8C0F4A.jpeg

E1195C04-95FE-49B0-952D-170CD233ED87.jpeg

991747B0-706F-401F-BE7F-F77EC18FE71B.jpeg

AD1B2586-8DC5-43BD-AE52-EBE82AE0ADA0.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Opry99er said:

It has an internal modem--something the 100 did not have.  I believe it also came stock with 32k of memory...  

The 100 HAS a 300 baud internal modem.  Early models came with 24K or 8K depending on your budget (memory was very expensive in 1984).  Later on they only offered 24K.  8K kit brought it to 32K.

The 102 came with 24K of memory and an 8K kit would bring it to 32K, same as the 100.  The extra 8K was only $14.95 in 1989.

By 1990 they included the 8K kit giving it 32K, but also jacked up the price $100...which was funny, because you'd be paying $85 more than the previous year.

The 102 is just a slightly thinner version of the 100...neither one is more capable than the other.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Would there be any interest in a fully packaged new game for the TRS80 Model 100/102?  I've been playing with the BASIC here and I could do a game for it fairly easily. 

Not sure about packaging costs and all, but if my releases for the TI are an indicator, I could do a fully packaged cassette game for about $25 and a disk-based release for $20.

3 hours ago, Opry99er said:

Would there be any interest in a fully packaged new game for the TRS80 Model 100/102?  I've been playing with the BASIC here and I could do a game for it fairly easily. 

Not sure about packaging costs and all, but if my releases for the TI are an indicator, I could do a fully packaged cassette game for about $25 and a disk-based release for $20.

Sure, but I can't afford to spend too much money on a game.

Floppies will be cheaper? Too bad my TPDD isn't working.

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 4:31 AM, Turbo-Torch said:

The 100 HAS a 300 baud internal modem.  Early models came with 24K or 8K depending on your budget (memory was very expensive in 1984).  Later on they only offered 24K.  8K kit brought it to 32K.

The 102 came with 24K of memory and an 8K kit would bring it to 32K, same as the 100.  The extra 8K was only $14.95 in 1989.

By 1990 they included the 8K kit giving it 32K, but also jacked up the price $100...which was funny, because you'd be paying $85 more than the previous year.

So, what is the actual benefit of 32k over 24k in this machine?

I am thinking it would be mostly that you can store 8k more data/programs on it?  (There aren't any programs that require 32k are there?)

I have heard tho that the more RAM installed, the shorter the timeframe that the data/programs will stay on the computer with the battery backup.

Is that significant?

I know with my 8k Model 100, it seems to last almost forever (that time frame come from actual scientific test results!  ;-).  Would there be any really noticeable difference?

i.e. Would it last a month with 8k, but only a week with 32k?

The new one I am getting will have 24k, so I need to decide whether to add the 8k from my original to that one, or is 24k more than plenty?

Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, desiv said:

So, what is the actual benefit of 32k over 24k in this machine?

I am thinking it would be mostly that you can store 8k more data/programs on it?  (There aren't any programs that require 32k are there?)

I have heard tho that the more RAM installed, the shorter the timeframe that the data/programs will stay on the computer with the battery backup.

Is that significant?

I know with my 8k Model 100, it seems to last almost forever (that time frame come from actual scientific test results!  ;-).  Would there be any really noticeable difference?

i.e. Would it last a month with 8k, but only a week with 32k?

The new one I am getting will have 24k, so I need to decide whether to add the 8k from my original to that one, or is 24k more than plenty?

Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference?

Not really; I do stuff on my 100 every day. I transfered all my RAM expansions from my broken Model 100 to my working one when I got it, and I like to keep my RAM at maximum, personally:)

• Like 1