IGNORED

Boulder Dash® 2022 release!

Andrew Davie

7 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Many times if something is too cheap, no one even looks at it.

This is an old school ebay tactic. Put a ridiculous high price on a rare item...people start clicking it. Inevitably they look at your other auctions, if those other auctions are reasonably priced, or even a good deal...you get sales and the strategy worked...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

How are things coming with the new release?

It hasn't been forgotten. We are still discussing the legal stuff and costs. It's always tricky when you have multiple parties (4) that need to agree on stuff - especially when those involved all have other projects and "more important" things to attend to.

If/after we manage to get a formal agreement in place, then we need to do a manual and box design.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I think new artwork should be used for the rerelease for a couple of reasons. 
1. It would differentiate it from the initial release, which I think owners of the earlier release would appreciate.  

2. On the whole, the quality of the artwork for AtariAge games has come on leaps and bounds since the first release.  (Mostly) far more slick and professional looking now.  That should be taken advantage of.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, Andrew Davie said:

The cost will be driven by the requirement for 4 different parties to have some share of the profits on each cartridge.

Taking a percentage of each sale is a much more sensible way to go than having to pay up-front for a license limited to a specified number of units.

The only problem with this (and really any similar model) is that there is no revenue coming to the developers/intellectual property owners from subsequent re-sales. So, if someone buys a cartridge for, say, $100, but then manages to resell it for $1,000, the only one to benefit is the reseller. Perhaps the end-user license agreement could address this lacuna. 

I’m still very much interested in this happening and it’s to bad that it didn’t work out for 2020. I was hoping to add it to my Christmas list. I’m not sure why you would think there wasn’t enthusiasm to see this happen. This was on the top of my list for a long time and I have been patiently hoping to see this become available again.

I would say EBay alone is a good indication that there is plenty of interest in seeing this game happen again for the 2600. I’m sure many people would love to own this game if it wasn’t so hard to obtain. As it is I don’t have a spare $800-1500 sitting around to buy one off of eBay at current prices.

2021 here we come!!!

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Well, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm to move forward and no formal agreement yet.

Personally, I've lost interest.  Definitely won't happen this year.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I want it to happen, but it's certainly not going to happen this year.

..Al

I hope it happens but am glad it’s not 2020.  Already loads of great home brews coming from AtariAge this year and hopefully Dan Kitchen’s Gold Rush too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I would say EBay alone is a good indication that there is plenty of interest in seeing this game happen again for the 2600. I’m sure many people would love to own this game if it wasn’t so hard to obtain. As it is I don’t have a spare $800-1500 sitting around to buy one off of eBay at current prices.

2021 here we come!!!

Wow!  Is it really going for that much?  Even if I had that kind of spare money, I'd have to reassess my hobby as a serious addiction if I contemplated spending that much even for a second.  I'd have to be a multi-millionaire first.  Which I'm not.

Never goes for 800 plus that I have seen. I think I have seen it go in the 150 to 300 dollar range. 

I’ve seen it go for over $400 a few times. I may have over exaggerated due to the auction on eBay that stays at $1500.

I sent an email to first star software about a year ago and asked them if they had a copy they would sell to me. There price was $800, and they justified this with past eBay prices . Also they said they only had one copy left.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I sent an email to first star software about a year ago and asked them if they had a copy they would sell to me. There price was $800, and they justified this with past eBay prices . Also they said they only had one copy left.

They are no longer the IP owner, having sold it over a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...