IGNORED

Boulder Dash® 2022 release!

Andrew Davie

Boulder Dash was first programmed for Atari 8-bit computers by Canadian developers and released by a US publisher.

Therefore I think original speed is the faster one that plays on NTSC Atari 8-bit computers, not the slower one that you can hear  on PAL Atari computers.

https://youtu.be/fKo_HH6sswQ

• Like 2

Hearing that song again from so many years... wow First Star Software had some fun games.. I really loved Boulder Dash and the Spy Vs Spy Series of games.. 

Whatever version you all go with (I personally grew up NTSC C64 version) I am sure it will be great.

If however you need time to make the perfect version you want, I am all for that.  I also am happy to support a publisher that allows one of their older catalog games to be released/re-released.  I wish other publishers could see the love the retro community has even if they are smaller releases of titles.

I just played the original cartridge on my Atari 800XL, and the tempo of the '2600 version seems about right. But that's probably because I have a PAL machine ?

But: any tempo will be fine by me. I consider the '2600 port of Boulder Dash the 'magnum opus' of Andrew Davie and Thomas Jentsch, and the idea of being able to play this game on my Atari 2600 fills me with great excitement.

image.thumb.png.a5482dcf4c03f31bcc5372b0714e91dc.png

• Like 4

Wow They have gone up in value but Asking price is not what it will sell for if it does.

By the Pics its opened up for photos but like this below statement

Condition: Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.

58 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm glad this will be a game that's generally available again instead of just a collector's item. I've wanted a copy for a while, but could never justify the going prices. 

A few dominoes to fall into place, yet. Fingers crossed.

Edit, so as to not be mysterious...

need to get the manual done, a box design, terms of contract agreed, contract signed, boards built, etc., etc.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

need to get the manual done, a box design, terms of contract agreed, contract signed, boards built, etc., etc.

who is doing the box design?

And will it be different from the last one (TBH i didn't liked it).

• Like 1

Whoever bought from the German seller got one helluva deal.  Another sold in the States back in April for a more-expected $400:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-2600-BOULDER-DASH-Only-250-Made-2011-Super-Rare-New/264679400186

Still not $1500 though.  Maybe I'll try to push some luck and list mine for $401?

On 6/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, Philsan said:

Boulder Dash was first programmed for Atari 8-bit computers by Canadian developers and released by a US publisher.

Therefore I think original speed is the faster one that plays on NTSC Atari 8-bit computers, not the slower one that you can hear  on PAL Atari computers.

Correct. The NTSC tempo is as the composer intended.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Long shot, but any chance to have the artwork the same as the original Atari 800/C64 releases?

Personally I would much prefer an interpretation of the original artwork. So I wouldn't want to restrict the artist a lot. My experience of the last years has shown that the results are usually much more interesting.

But I can only speak for myself here. BBG, Andrew and AtariAge will also have significant influence on the result.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...