IGNORED

Boulder Dash® 2022 release!

Andrew Davie

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

1- they are cartridge loaders, and those simply won't work with a Harmony which actively controls signals (via 70MHz) CPU.

I'd beg to differ on this one. I'd rather assume the start-up timing is different. The microcontroller on the cartridge needs to be initialized and ready when the 2600 comes out of reset state. If the FPGA is initializing too fast, the cartridge might not be ready.

For the 3V vs 5V, this can be done using level shifters, it's just three additional chips, since the biggest ones I've seen so far are "8 bits wide".

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SvOlli said:

I'd beg to differ on this one. I'd rather assume the start-up timing is different. The microcontroller on the cartridge needs to be initialized and ready when the 2600 comes out of reset state. If the FPGA is initializing too fast, the cartridge might not be ready.

Mmm make that a 3rd point. Surely that can be adjusted somewhow?

31 minutes ago, SvOlli said:

For the 3V vs 5V, this can be done using level shifters, it's just three additional chips, since the biggest ones I've seen so far are "8 bits wide".

Would those have the same electrical characteristics as a real 2600 console's slot? Thinking about bus-stuffing here.

• Like 1

Greetings! 

AtariAge and BBG Entertainment are proud to announce that Boulder Dash® is coming once again to the Atari 2600!  Originally released in 2011 and created by Atari 2600 programming wizards @Andrew Davie and @Thomas Jentzsch, Boulder Dash® is a monumental achievement on the Atari 2600!  The original release back in 2011 was limited to 250 copies, but we plan on making this new release available indefinitely so everyone can get a copy of the game.  Completely new packaging was created for this release by William Thorup, who has created remarkable designs for several of our Atari Jaguar releases!  

Here's a first look at the packaging:

Look for Boulder Dash® for the Atari 2600 soon in the AtariAge Store and at this year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

..Al

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Great to know that Boulder Dash is coming back to the Atari 2600! Looking forward to finally being able to play the full game on my '2600.

This game has amazing graphics and sound effects. Also the title music is the highest quality digitized PCM music I've heard on the '2600 so far.

Edited by Dionoid

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Albert said:

This new release of Boulder Dash will make it s debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a cleaner view of the box front and back:

2600_BoulderDash_Render_Boxes.jpg

Boulder Dash will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November for those unable to attend the event!

..Al

Great game, sweet box!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Albert said:

This new release of Boulder Dash will make it's debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a cleaner view of the box front and back:

2600_BoulderDash_Render_Boxes.jpg

Boulder Dash will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November for those unable to attend the event!

..Al

You know, I bought 2 copies of the Original run. I did end up having to sell one of them (sealed) because of hard times.... but $3k for one? That's just insane! 

I do have a question, though... IF I buy a copy of this version, will I be able to get the file I can put on my Flashback 9, or will the game not work on that console? I still have my original 2600, but unfortunately, it's not working at the moment. I suspect it's the power supply (again).... but they are hard to come by "in the wild". Also, I don't have the space to put a monitor capable of being hooked up to the thing, right now. But the Flashback will plug into my second computer monitor via one of the HDMI ports. Hence the reason I'm asking. 

Oh, does this one also include any of the little "goody bags" like the original did, or was that just for that release? Doesn't matter, on that.... I'm still interested.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, [d2f]Iggy*SJB said:

You know, I bought 2 copies of the Original run. I did end up having to sell one of them (sealed) because of hard times.... but $3k for one? That's just insane! 

Agreed, and that's one of the reasons a decision to make the game available again came about.  We want people to be able to enjoy the game at a reasonable price.  This version will also be available without the box right off the bat.

I do have a question, though... IF I buy a copy of this version, will I be able to get the file I can put on my Flashback 9, or will the game not work on that console? I still have my original 2600, but unfortunately, it's not working at the moment. I suspect it's the power supply (again).... but they are hard to come by "in the wild". Also, I don't have the space to put a monitor capable of being hooked up to the thing, right now. But the Flashback will plug into my second computer monitor via one of the HDMI ports. Hence the reason I'm asking. 

No, as with the original release of Boulder Dash ten years ago, we also cannot distribute a digital version of the binary with this new release, sorry.

Oh, does this one also include any of the little "goody bags" like the original did, or was that just for that release? Doesn't matter, on that.... I'm still interested.

No, but it does come with a 10" x 14" poster of the artwork.  The intent with this version was to make it available indefinitely, as opposed to the limited release of the earlier version.

..Al

3 minutes ago, omf said:

i take it this version is the same as the previously released version, or is this different in some way?

It's basically the same, references to First Star Software were changed to BBG Entertainment, and there were some very minor tweaks beyond that.

..Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be some lucky people this weekend who get to play Boulder Dash in person at Portland Retro Gaming Expo.  For the rest of us, we are going to have to wait a bit.

In the meantime, enjoy the process to create the artwork for this landmark game for the 2600.

Huge thanks you to @Albert @Thomas Jentzsch @Andrew Davie BBG Entertainment, and many others for their work on bringing this to the 2600 and for arranging for this to be available for purchase again.  Also, thanks for allowing me to work on the artwork and packaging for this release.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.8e90c60a70e2fd951af6e8a4f5c07329.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Starovox (2600) - Rayman C.
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 2

Great interview gents! Nice to see & hear from you both. Boulder Dash is one of my favs, having become familiar with it during my C64 high school days. Your version is excellent and certainly holds up today. I'm happy to have been able to pick up a copy a while back, however. I intend to add the new CIB to my collection. I'm not in the habit of collecting box variants etc., but will make an exception in this case.

Thank you all for pursuing a new agreement and having this great game finally available to the masses.🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1