Jump to content
Andrew Davie

Boulder Dash® 2020 release!

Recommended Posts

Boulder Dash was first programmed for Atari 8-bit computers by Canadian developers and released by a US publisher.

 

Therefore I think original speed is the faster one that plays on NTSC Atari 8-bit computers, not the slower one that you can hear  on PAL Atari computers.

 

https://youtu.be/fKo_HH6sswQ

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing that song again from so many years... wow First Star Software had some fun games.. I really loved Boulder Dash and the Spy Vs Spy Series of games.. 

 

Whatever version you all go with (I personally grew up NTSC C64 version) I am sure it will be great.

 

If however you need time to make the perfect version you want, I am all for that.  I also am happy to support a publisher that allows one of their older catalog games to be released/re-released.  I wish other publishers could see the love the retro community has even if they are smaller releases of titles.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played the original cartridge on my Atari 800XL, and the tempo of the '2600 version seems about right. But that's probably because I have a PAL machine 🙂

But: any tempo will be fine by me. I consider the '2600 port of Boulder Dash the 'magnum opus' of Andrew Davie and Thomas Jentsch, and the idea of being able to play this game on my Atari 2600 fills me with great excitement.

 

image.thumb.png.a5482dcf4c03f31bcc5372b0714e91dc.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow They have gone up in value but Asking price is not what it will sell for if it does.

By the Pics its opened up for photos but like this below statement

 

Condition: Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad this will be a game that's generally available again instead of just a collector's item. I've wanted a copy for a while, but could never justify the going prices. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm glad this will be a game that's generally available again instead of just a collector's item. I've wanted a copy for a while, but could never justify the going prices. 

A few dominoes to fall into place, yet. Fingers crossed.

Edit, so as to not be mysterious...

 need to get the manual done, a box design, terms of contract agreed, contract signed, boards built, etc., etc.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

 need to get the manual done, a box design, terms of contract agreed, contract signed, boards built, etc., etc.

who is doing the box design?

And will it be different from the last one (TBH i didn't liked it).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

who is doing the box design?

And will it be different from the last one (TBH i didn't liked it).

No decisions made, yet.

Yes, it will be different.  I, on the other hand, loved the original release box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

No decisions made, yet.

Yes, it will be different.  I, on the other hand, loved the original release box.

I also like the original release artwork.  :)

 

 ..Al

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’m going to put mine up for sale, for an even thousand. 😉

OK, then I am going to list mine for $999.98. 🤑

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, Philsan said:

Boulder Dash was first programmed for Atari 8-bit computers by Canadian developers and released by a US publisher.

 

Therefore I think original speed is the faster one that plays on NTSC Atari 8-bit computers, not the slower one that you can hear  on PAL Atari computers.

Correct. The NTSC tempo is as the composer intended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long shot, but any chance to have the artwork the same as the original Atari 800/C64 releases?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Long shot, but any chance to have the artwork the same as the original Atari 800/C64 releases?

Personally I would much prefer an interpretation of the original artwork. So I wouldn't want to restrict the artist a lot. My experience of the last years has shown that the results are usually much more interesting.

 

But I can only speak for myself here. BBG, Andrew and AtariAge will also have significant influence on the result.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's ok. If the price goes high enough it creates the illusion of eliteness and rareness. And then someone buys it. And a new price ceiling is established.

 

Many times if something is too cheap, no one even looks at it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...