IGNORED

What's your favorite game by CBS Electronics?

BONEMAN

In the 80's it was Wizard of Wor… I didn't know of CBS games and rented this and loved it.  I also got to try a couple others but never saw them at my local stores.

Now with the new version of Wizard of Wor out, I still think it's my favourite CBS game.  I thought the 2 player 'oops kill' was awesome and still enjoy the game.  Gorf was fun as well... especially with the variation of screens etc.

9 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

In the 80's it was Wizard of Wor… I didn't know of CBS games and rented this and loved it.  I also got to try a couple others but never saw them at my local stores.

I feel like Kaybee Toys more than anywhere else always had an overstock of CBS games discounted.

2 hours ago, keithbk said:

Since we're on the topic of CBS, what are everyone's thoughts about "Wings," the CBS prototype game?

Thanks for mentioning that. I'd forgotten all about that one and have neglected to download the ROM file to try it out... something I plan to do this evening.

Kickman. Not really, I haven't actually played it, but it does look good.

Growing up it was Wizard of Wor and I still enjoy it quite a bit. It is a great two player game.

Now I would have to go with Omega Race. Asteroids style games are some of my favorites and this one is excellent.

Mountain King is one I would like to spend more time with as I think I would enjoy it quite a bit.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, JasperAK said:

I've seen a lot of people mention Omega Race. Do you have the joystick booster, play with a Genesis controller, TJ's joystick or driving controller hack? Or maybe play in an emulator? I'm wondering if it is worth putting one of those hacks on my new Harmony cart.

Wasn't aware of the driving controller hack (though now it seems so obvious), I have a boxed Omega Race with the special controller.  So I can't say which would be better since I haven't tried the others.  Of course it won't compare to the arcade version with the vector graphics but I'm glad somebody made a port of that rare (even back in the day) game.  CBS seems to have focused on arcade ports, which I applaud.

My favorite CBS game would probably be Wizard Of Wor, though now I must experience the new/improved one.  Solar Fox is a close second, always played that game in the arcades when I got the chance.

• 5 months later...

https://javatari.org/

A friend introduced me to the javatari online update a couple of days ago.  We have played Mario Bros, Joust, and Wizard of Wor...  I just saw jwelsh's post here and I agree about Solar Fox.  It inspires me though... how would everyone like a two-player Solar Fox?  It shouldn't be too difficult to conjure something up in bBasic...   and could add in extras...  like power-ups, competitive mode or partner modes...?  :D  Sounds fun to me!  Could be my Pseudopods IV!!!  

BTW, jwelsh, do you have any relatives in the western USA?  I know a guy that could use your handle... or knew him once upon a time.  He had red hair and freckles... cool guy.  He sold me a TON of vhs tapes and a computer once.  :D  We used to work together at Micron Tech.

I never understood why they chose to make the 2600 Omega Race require that stupid booster add on for the extra button.....when it could have used the same control scheme as Asteroids...

Commodore 64 version uses this one-joystick control layout...but ofc that was published by commodore instead of CBS

How many of you that said you like Omega Race on the 2600 actually own the booster grip?  or did you just play it on emulators?

I only ask this because the grip is hard to find...and I doubt anyone without that accessory would pick it as a favorite unless they were playing it somehow....

Edited by eddhell

VCS Omega Race is fun and a great achievement, but gets old after a while. Seems the difficulty levels off at a certain point. Have a boxed copy of Omega Race with the Booster Grip, but can't say I prefer to play with it. Especially ever since the 2-button Genesis controller hack, and TJ's Asteroids control style hack floating around as well. Really no reason to use the Booster Grip, unless you're after that original or nostalgic feel. Probably not so much nostalgia as relatively few people had it BITD. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eddhell said:

It would probably NOT be on anyone's favorite list if you were forced to use the original hardware, like we were back then....the booster grip was clunky, uncomfortable, and only made to fit on top of original Atari sticks.

Personally, I also don't like the fit over the joystick either. Not only does it twist and turn during play, but have to worry about it marking up the boot as well. No thanks. In the box it will permanently stay.   ;) 

• Like 1