IGNORED

What's your favorite game by CBS Electronics?

BONEMAN

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

VCS Omega Race is fun and a great achievement, but gets old after a while. Seems the difficulty levels off at a certain point. Have a boxed copy of Omega Race with the Booster Grip, but can't say I prefer to play with it. Especially ever since the 2-button Genesis controller hack, and TJ's Asteroids control style hack floating around as well. Really no reason to use the Booster Grip, unless you're after that original or nostalgic feel. Probably not so much nostalgia as relatively few people had it BITD. ;)

No reason to use the Booster Grip? How exactly do I play it then? I play with an original Omega Race cartridge. How do I use TJs Asteroids hack on this cart? I do not have a hacked Genesis controller either. So how pray tell do I play Omega Race without the Booster Grip?

I have a boxed Omega Race and two loose Booster Grips just in case I ever want to play two player Omega Race with each player having their own setup. I had a third loose Booster Grip, but I gave away as a Christmas present with a copy of the game.

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

No reason to use the Booster Grip? How exactly do I play it then? I play with an original Omega Race cartridge. How do I use TJs Asteroids hack on this cart? I do not have a hacked Genesis controller either. So how pray tell do I play Omega Race without the Booster Grip?

Hacked .roms via emulation, UnoCart, Harmony, Harmony Encore, some other flashcart or a modified Atari Flashback unit. 

Oh, and you can also use paddles or a ColecoVision controller with your original Omega Race cartridge!  :)

2 hours ago, Voxel said:

Wizard of Wor - if I have company

Solar Fox - If I'm on my own (usually)

Mr Do - If I'm feeling silly

Isn't Mr Do! by Coleco?

CBS made some pretty good games, especially Omega Race.  I remember I got it for Christmas and it came with a trigger that slid over the 2600's joystick to give you a 2nd fire button!  I really wish more companies would have utilized something similar.  There are a number of games that are made way worse because of having only 1 button.  I'm not even sure that was their best game, but I know I loved playing it with the extra button.

Wizard of Wor was pretty good too. As was Gorf.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, JasperAK said:

I've seen a lot of people mention Omega Race. Do you have the joystick booster, play with a Genesis controller, TJ's joystick or driving controller hack? Or maybe play in an emulator? I'm wondering if it is worth putting one of those hacks on my new Harmony cart.

I got one for Christmas back in the 80s one year and I still have the booster 2nd button.

They really should have used that on more games.  The lack of extra buttons is a huge handicap for the systems that use the 2600 standard like the Amiga and the C64 and the Atari 8-bits. Games like Stargate suffer terribly. Stargate is just such a good port ruined by the lack of buttons. It is a shame they didn't put in an extra button with the stargate package or even support extra buttons for those who had the booster.

39 minutes ago, Voxel said:

I'm in the UK, and my copies look like the image attached below.  I should have explained that one when I listed it.

s-l225.jpg

I tried some Googling with this yesterday and when you search for CBS Electronics, it goes to Coleco at least for Wikipedia.  Yet, in America, the CBS Electronics games came in a tan cartridge while the 2600 Coleco games came in a white cartridge and the fonts were different.  So from all the searching I did, it appears at least outside of America, Coleco was known as CBS, but in America, CBS, from all appearances, appears to be a different company altogether.

So was it Coleco that released games like Omega Race?

Are these the same company?  It's all very confusing to me.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:10 AM, eddhell said:

How many of you that said you like Omega Race on the 2600 actually own the booster grip?  or did you just play it on emulators?

I only ask this because the grip is hard to find...and I doubt anyone without that accessory would pick it as a favorite unless they were playing it somehow...

I set an eBay alert and when a broken booster grip came up I got it. It was missing a pin so an easy fix.  Still not my favorite!

Edited by 5x7

• 3 months later...

Solar Fox, Wizard of Wor, and Omega Race have held up the best for me. Gorf, especially with its Galaxian round, just feels tedious rather than fun. The round where critters spiral out and the boss level at the end (inversion of Space Invaders) are still fairly fun...

Jeez, a lot of votes for Solar Fox here.

I've had that game for years now just never really got into it. Maybe I'll have to give it another go tonight.

I only own two myself, Solar Fox and Mountain King.

Mountain King I JUST received about a week ago, and it IS fun, but a real pain in the ass to get back up to the surface with the crown. Gotta master that jumping angle.

I quite enjoyed playing Wizard of Wor and Blueprint via emulation. I think Blueprint's visuals hook me more than the gameplay. I know I would have loved it as a kid!

SO to answer the question... my favorite... Mountain King I guess! Not much of an answer though really ?

6 minutes ago, Torr said:

Mountain King I JUST received about a week ago, and it IS fun, but a real pain in the ass to get back up to the surface with the crown. Gotta master that jumping angle.

The 2600 version has a bug (or "feature" depending on your POV) that if you hold the joystick in the jumping position when you land the first jump, it will immediately take a very high jump.   If you time it right, you could jump straight up the mountain peak.

Other than that, take your time and focus on avoiding the bats

Gorf was a favorite of mine, despite playing the 64 version first and my favorite level being absent. It's like a grab bag of space shooter types and I always liked that.

Tunnel runner takes it though, as it's original (to me, never played it elsewhere) I like the first person perspective and Pac Man playstyle, and the speed which you control can be from a mild stroll to insane.

I didn't own any CBS electronics games back in the day so I have zero nostalgia for them. That being said, GORF is probably my favorite. Would have been Wizard of Wor but with the new Homebrew (as stated) I'll probably never play the old one again haha.

Mountain King is fun but gets boring, I bet if I had it back in the day I would have loved it though...

Blueprint gets my vote for worst...bleh...