IGNORED

Prof Abrasive's Satiator vs Rhea/Phoebe - what are your thoughts?

c0op3r

I am curious to hear every ones thoughts on the Rhea/Phoebe vs the hopefully very soon to be released Satiator by Professor Abrasive.

I personally cant wait, I think that guy that does the Rhea/Phoebe is a little bit of a putz, he makes a small handful of units and only opens order on the second Tuesday of Never, then they get bought by a another handful of dickheads that was to try and flip them back out on eBay for double!  I hope the price of the Rhea/Phoebe tanks and you cant give them away.

I also like that Professor Abrasive's Satiator requires no modifications to the Saturn, I have no idea what the stupid name means, but if it functions like I have read it will its going to be great.

It is looking like the Satiator will be ready early next year.

• Confused 1

I had a friend of mine give me a premodded saturn with a Rhea in it. After updating the firmware on it and getting the menu loader onto the SD, I find it pretty easy to use. I made my own disc images to my rhea using discjuggler I believe to create the .cdi images from my personal collection. I think the ONLY game I couldn't get working was In the Hunt. But my copy has a few pinholes in the disc that my DVD drive couldn't read past. Although the actual disc plays fine on the Saturn itself.

The Satiator does look pretty slick so if it does get released wide spread to the masses, I'm sure I will pick one up for my other Saturn.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, c0op3r said:

I also like that Professor Abrasive's Satiator requires no modifications to the Saturn, I have no idea what the stupid name means, but if it functions like I have read it will its going to be great.

A Satiator would be something that satiates. Satiate: to satisfy to the fullest, to the point of excess.

It would seem the Professor intends to stuff your gaw with so much easy to access Saturn goodness it'll be disgusting. Could also be a slight dig at the lack of stock of the Rhea/Phoebe & mark his intent to make sure the device is readily available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I had a friend of mine give me a premodded saturn with a Rhea in it. After updating the firmware on it and getting the menu loader onto the SD, I find it pretty easy to use. I made my own disc images to my rhea using discjuggler I believe to create the .cdi images from my personal collection. I think the ONLY game I couldn't get working was In the Hunt. But my copy has a few pinholes in the disc that my DVD drive couldn't read past. Although the actual disc plays fine on the Saturn itself.

The Satiator does look pretty slick so if it does get released wide spread to the masses, I'm sure I will pick one up for my other Saturn.

I have in the Hunt also (a copy) and the only way to get it to work is to boot it without the controller connected, then plug it in after it boots, have you tried that?

50 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

I have in the Hunt also (a copy) and the only way to get it to work is to boot it without the controller connected, then plug it in after it boots, have you tried that?

Must be a different issue. My actual physical copy of the game works just fine. It was the .CDI image I made from it that doesn't work on my Rhea. I had a feeling because during the imaging process, discjuggler did throw read errors that I could only have it skip and continue through. I'm guessing that while those pin holes are mostly on the outside of the data tracks on the disc, that the image being made is still buggered. I ended up getting a different image of that game to load up on my Rhea and that works without issue.

That is really my only concern with a different ODE type tech. Will the current images that I've already made of my Saturn library of games work on it, or will I have to create all new images?

56 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

This is a hot tip, I'm going to have to give it a go when I get home. I have a image of it on my Rhea and can get it to boot if I try it enough times, maybe this will be a more reliable method.

I've been looking forward to Professor Abrasive's device for a while.  If I still had a second Saturn, I wouldn't mind modding it, but since I just have the one, I'm hesitant to do anything like that.  If the Satiator can just plug in the back or whatever, I'd like one.  The other's may work fine, but I just don't want to take the optical drive out to use them.

I have a Phoebe, and I didn't find it difficult to install. It's been working really well for me.

I guess I've been incredibly lucky about being able to purchase when orders are open, as I was able to get a GDEmu and a Phoebe.

By the way, it looks like another option will soon be available.

https://twitter.com/Ced2911/status/1192201049198739458

11 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I've been looking forward to Professor Abrasive's device for a while.  If I still had a second Saturn, I wouldn't mind modding it, but since I just have the one, I'm hesitant to do anything like that.  If the Satiator can just plug in the back or whatever, I'd like one.  The other's may work fine, but I just don't want to take the optical drive out to use them.

I am not above a mod myself but my Saturn is a Japanese Skeleton version so if I can get by with any mods all the better.

8 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I have a Phoebe, and I didn't find it difficult to install. It's been working really well for me.

The mod work does not scare me at all, I did the GDemu on my Dreamcast as well as the Fan mod, Blue Led Swap and battery socket all at the same time.

I also installed one of the remote SDcard 3d printed setups that makes it so I dont have the ugly well, I will post a picture later, I am currently in London and I dont have the photos on my laptop.

So an update was just posted from Prof. Abrasive and he states that he has 20 completed prototypes,  this is great news.  Progress seems to really be going in the right direction and at a good pace.

I am not going to post his whole update as that would not be fair to the people that are paying to support the project (and therefore pay for the updates)  But I had to rip off this photo and post it, cause well completed prototypes!

1.thumb.jpg.41cab82f6ef952a8a8c5118c33fe23bc.jpg

Edited by c0op3r
add photo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was excited for the Satiator back in 2016, but he's been collecting thousands of dollars from Patreon for three years. I'm hyped out. If it's real I'll buy one but I'm definitely going to take a wait and see approach from a guy who (to my knowledge) has never shipped a product.

During the last preorder, I tried to get a Phoebe but got up at 4:45 am on a Saturday to find out they were already sold out.

Meanwhile, there's another ODE in development. Unfortunately at this time it's 21-pin only, and I have a Saturn model 2, so I only have a 20-pin drive. Wonder if there's an adapter that converts a 21-pin drive to work in a 20-pin unit, and whether that would work on this. 

The state of Saturn ODEs is kinda rough right now. LOL

I suspect we will see a clone of the Rhea/Phoebe soon....especially since the Chinese have made a killing on the GDEmu clone. I bet one of these people already have these devices in hand and are reverse engineering it as I type. Do I think it is right? Well, no. But I don't feel too bad for the original developer either as he seems to have a serious attitude anyway. I purchased the GDEmu clone (which works great by the way) and will certainly purchase a Rhea or Phoebe clone should one surface. I gave up long ago trying to obtain an official one.

The Satiator however is something I would prefer as its use is "less destructive" so to speak. You do not have to gut the optical drive to use it and that is pretty appealing to me. I actually still like to use the drive for audio CD's and CD+G every now and then :) The CD Player on the Dreamcast was just too basic so it was no real loss with moving to the GDEmu on that platform.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I was excited for the Satiator back in 2016, but he's been collecting thousands of dollars from Patreon for three years. I'm hyped out. If it's real I'll buy one but I'm definitely going to take a wait and see approach from a guy who (to my knowledge) has never shipped a product.

As someone who has backed him on Patreon for two years now, I see no reason to doubt its legitimacy. It may be difficult to understand from the outside if you aren't backing, but as a backer he has had decent (albeit slow) communication over the years with tons of extremely detailed posts and updates. If he's not the real deal, then he's doing a damn-fine job at faking it.

Yes, the project is moving slowly, but last I checked this is a guy with a family, a professional career outside of this and who knows what other obligations. The work he's doing seems solid so I'm willing to be patient with it. If he dropped off the face of the Earth for a year, then yeah, I'd be concerned. But this isn't even close to being one of those situations.

• Like 1

The guy is living the dream, for sure...making a decent amount of money off of a hobby without having to actually produce anything is a pretty solid side job if you can swing it. :lol: 

And since I do know it takes a while when you have other obligations, that's why I feel no compulsion to back something that may or may not see the light of day. If you have money to burn, more power to you. I just don't feel like that's the best use of my own disposable income. 

• Like 2

I think the Saturn stuff would have been cloned by now. 

As for the Prof, he actually stopped receiving Patreon money at some point when he admitted to having no time to work on the project for many months.  I'm not sure if he's turned it back on or not.  I didn't back, but I will gladly buy his unit when it's available.  I truly have no interest in the other solutions.  His is clearly very advanced and will likely be far more compatible than the Rhea/Phoebe boards which have game issues.

57 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

The guy is living the dream, for sure...making a decent amount of money off of a hobby without having to actually produce anything is a pretty solid side job if you can swing it. :lol: 

He is producing something, though. Prototypes are going out to early high level backers. Yes, the project has come along slow, but to say he's not producing anything is disingenuous.

Correct, and the only reason it's been "slow" is that he's striving for a high degree of quality and commitment.  Essentially, when this goes, he's supposed to be able to distribute large quantities.  That's "the plan."  Obviously I'm skeptical on that, given the only entity who've been able to do that is Krikzz.  Even Terra Onion have periods of out of stock, while the PSIO guys are okay but often you're waiting months on them. 

11 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I think the Saturn stuff would have been cloned by now. 

As for the Prof, he actually stopped receiving Patreon money at some point when he admitted to having no time to work on the project for many months.  I'm not sure if he's turned it back on or not.  I didn't back, but I will gladly buy his unit when it's available.  I truly have no interest in the other solutions.  His is clearly very advanced and will likely be far more compatible than the Rhea/Phoebe boards which have game issues.

There's a little soldering required to set the drive type. A clone could avoid soldering by setting up jumpers with pins like old IDE hard drives. 

I'm not rooting for clones. I'm rooting for availability and competition. That's why I linked Ced's Fenrir earlier. It'll be interesting to see who makes it to market first, because I'm committed to buying *something* for my Saturn, even from Prof Abrasive. I won't donate to the promise of something that's been in the works for literally years, but I'll buy an actual shipping product. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pretty good series of videos from a Beta Tester (ReEnthused Channel) on the Satiator.

First look at the Satiator Sega Saturn Flash Cart Beta by Professor Abrasive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digVewVEqGg

We take another look at the Satiator after updating to the newest firmware.
Firmware 73:
Fixes FMV stuttering
Speeds up menu loading when there are lots of files
Adds page switching with shoulder buttons
First attempts at implementing audio indexing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yMWUPr9l8

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1