IGNORED

Got a CoCo2! Having Problems(and lots of questions)...

bluejay

I was browsing through eBay and found a really good deal...

A bit less than $130 for a CIB CoCo2, a CCR-81, and a bunch of other accessories including cartridges, manuals, magazines, etc.

So I got it, kinda as an early Christmas present.(I wasn't going to miss that!)

It arrived by mail really late, in a giant, heavy box. It smells a lot like old dust, and now the entire house smells like old dust.(Windex, Alcohol, and Lysol got rid of most of the smell off the CoCo2 and the CCR-81, but I how to you get it off paper stuff?)

It was in great condition, but the dust cover was REALLY yellowed. Can I put clear plastic in peroxide?

The previous owner put lots of writing in pencil, pen, and permanent marker on game boxes. How do I get rid of this?(by the way, the boxes are badly creased and overall in bad shape already)

The CCR-81 seems to have problems loading and saving, and the tape counter, most of the time, doesn't work. Do I have to (again) adjust the azimuth? How about the counter?

I have a Model 100 that doesn't work(mostly), that has memory expansions. Are those compatible with the CoCo2?(It's made in Korea, if that helps, and how do you take that thing apart anyways? I unscrewed all the screws and the left side won't come apart.)

Well, I think that's everything! Thanks in advance:)

I would suggest leaving the paper materials somewhere that they can quietly off-gas/air-out -- do you have an enclosed porch? A shed?  

As for the memory expansion, the Coco uses 8x 6114 (16K) or 8x 6164 (64K) RAM chips. I do not know what the Model 100 used, but I would be very surprised if it was compatible.

Given how very thin the dust cover is, I would be very reluctant to soak it in anything stronger than water.

I have encountered yet a new problem. I was playing Dungeons of Daggorath(that game is freaking amazing!), and discovered that the save and load barely works. It works when it does, but 99%of the time, when I try to load a saved game, it resets the computer, and I have to start it all over again. I got sick of it and quit. Is it the volume controls? What is causing this?

Yeah. In fact, I'm using a random tape from goodwill to save everything from my VIC-20 and CoCo.

The tape plays fine, and the belt probably isn't the problem, as the rotor spins just fine.

P.S. I solved the stuck tape counter problem. The reset button gets stuck whenever I press it, so I have to wiggle it out with my fingernails.

19 hours ago, bluejay said:

I have encountered yet a new problem. I was playing Dungeons of Daggorath(that game is freaking amazing!), and discovered that the save and load barely works. It works when it does, but 99%of the time, when I try to load a saved game, it resets the computer

Have you tried saving/loading something from BASIC? It probably will still not work, but the error message it gives would be instructive (e.g. Does the Coco even partially load the file? What happens when you SKIPF past the file?)

I think it's the computer's fault.

I was experimenting, and found out that 5 seconds after entering the CSAVE command, it automatically ends and prints OK, even though I haven't even pressed record+play yet. Also, it's the computer that keeps shutting itself down in DoD.

At this point, I dunno. I can't find a cheap Coco compatible disk drive(hell, the interface card alone costs $60!), which I really want, and I now have to save money and sell my crt to get a computer that I actually planning on using to get work done; the Apple IIe.(well, come on. There's not much you can do with a 16k CoCo 2 or a VIC-20, with barely functional cassette drives and no printer)

On 11/10/2019 at 12:23 AM, bluejay said:

I think it's the computer's fault.

I was experimenting, and found out that 5 seconds after entering the CSAVE command, it automatically ends and prints OK, even though I haven't even pressed record+play yet. Also, it's the computer that keeps shutting itself down in DoD.

At this point, I dunno. I can't find a cheap Coco compatible disk drive(hell, the interface card alone costs $60!), which I really want, and I now have to save money and sell my crt to get a computer that I actually planning on using to get work done; the Apple IIe.(well, come on. There's not much you can do with a 16k CoCo 2 or a VIC-20, with barely functional cassette drives and no printer)

The computer doesn't know when you've pressed the RECORD & PLAY buttons. 
It just assumes you've already done that before you type CSAVE.

Get a COCO SDC interface instead of a floppy drive.

• 4 weeks later...