IGNORED

Interest check - new custom Atari 2600 touchpads

Heywood Jablowme

I’m working on making some new 2600 touchpads from scratch complete with custom shells. I am also working on making overlays that have the same purpose as the original touchpad overlays, to label each button so you know what you’re doing by pressing each one. I wanted something to do and thought this would be a fun project. I’m not sure how rare they are so I don’t know if anyone else would want/need one.

Each touchpad will come with one overlay for the game of your choice. Once I know how many people are interested, I’ll provide an update with a price as I would like to buy all the parts at once to keep each touchpad as low priced as possible for both me and anyone who wants to buy one, and I don’t want to over- or underestimate the part costs. I will also provide picture updates as I get through the prototyping stages.

If anyone knows where I can find a list of games that used the touchpad, that’d be much appreciated as it would let me know how many overlays I need to design. As far as I can tell, the link in the 2600 Archives results in a 404 so I’ll need another source.

Here are the games that use the Keypad:

https://atariage.com/controller_page.php?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=4

The Video Touch Pad (only used for Star Raiders):

https://atariage.com/controller_page.php?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=5

And the Kid's Controller:

https://atariage.com/controller_page.php?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=6

These all operate the same, just different form factors.  Given how few games actually take advantage of these, and that they are relatively easy to come by, it doesn't seem like it would be worthwhile reproducing them.  I'd much rather see someone reproduce paddle controllers or a good CX-40 replacement versus keypad controllers.  I can't fathom how you'd make your money back just based on the tooling costs alone for the plastics.

..Al

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

For God's sake, this... every reproduction CX-40 I have tried in the past year have broken within the first few uses.

Yep, I have a whole case of brand new reproduction CX-40s I bought from a seller on eBay a few years ago.  The first two I tried I broke within minutes.  I should just dump them on here for anyone who wants them, as they are taking up space.  Once I find them again I'll do that.

..Al

Just now, Albert said:

Yep, I have a whole case of brand new reproduction CX-40s I bought from a seller on eBay a few years ago.  The first two I tried I broke within minutes.  I should just dump them on here for anyone who wants them, as they are taking up space.  Once I find them again I'll do that.

..Al

I’d be interested if they turn up. If I work on making any repros, it’d be helpful to see what not to do and learn from their mistakes

I would be interested if the aesthetics are super sweet! As mentioned above, I (and suspect many others that travel in these forums) have their share of keypad controllers and also don't use them very much. Like Al mentions, I too don't see how you'd make money on them.

However, if you're doing these as a Passion Project and to fulfill your artistic / creative tendencies, by all means.

If they are reasonably priced, I'd be in for a pair! :)