IGNORED

Jaguar Extremist Pack #3 and Highlander PC Alpha

Rugar

On 5/1/2004 at 6:06 PM, jaysmith2000 said:

Highlander PC Alpha (the only working copy of Highlander for the PC known to exist, it's even written on the CD) - Has some differences in title screen and other items. Playability is actually better, the keyboard is easier to use for this than the joypad. IMHO.

I just read that PC version of Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods really exists. I still have a gaming magazine from the 90's, in which I read the announcement for the PC version and it is planned that the game will have two more sequels. PC port latter is canceled and it's a game I've been waiting for 20 years to play because I never managed to get one Jaguar CD addon.

Did someone try this Alpha version for PC and what is this, complete game or just demo?

Unfortunately jaguarsector page is down. If anyone has to sell Jaguar Extremist Pack #3 or just digital version of Highlander PC alpha, please send me PM.

Edited by Rugar

Well, I play game only about five hours beacuse it takes me a while to run game on an old moded Xbox Classic. I never play original Jaguar version but now when i can map buttons on my xbox controler i suppose the controls is much better. Simply the right triger i use for run and analog stick for rotate player, it is a pain ass rotate and move in same time with d-pad or analog. The quality of cutscens is terrible in this version. If someone have opensoruce code (I know it exists somewhere) i can try replace that original cutscens with bad quality, with video from cartoon animated series (with good quality).

I like the graphic, player movement should be faster, combat...hmm this can be much better, player rotation is very slow, maybe missing some dodging, we have two kinds of sword block but this is really hard to use effectively in combat. The fight is based on standing in place and waiting for the enemy to come on some distance to be struck by the sword before he strikes us. Anything else i try, it ends really bad for player. I just found gun i'll see how this works. On the other hand, I have been involved in game programming for a long time and realistically, fighting in games like this can never be perfect. Ecstatica, Bioforge, Alone in the Dark,...  they are no better.

Puzzles is simply for now, but it is very cool because the solving of the puzzles is followed by the short cutscene. Inventory is simple and hard to scroll beasuse same kind of items like pontion appears repeatedly instead of putting everything in one slot and the number of this item next to it. The post-apocalyptic world is interesting and well done, character and enemy animations is also good. Do not forget i talking this from 90s perspective :)

All in all i like the game and i enjoy for now (maybe beacuse i wait over 20 years to play it). It's a shame that Atari didn't throw out more games like this.

• Confused 1