IGNORED

Closed - Mr. Backup Z64

Jinroh

Nice! I had two of the Z64 units back in the day. I used to use them for checking out neat demoscene stuff, emulators (Mame64!) and of course copying those exclusive Blockbuster titles like Clayfighter SC :)They can be modified to use other modern stuff to run roms (like hard drives and flash solutions) and I recall someone modding the firmware for them as well. Only thing is that someone would have to be pretty nostalgic for these to scoop them up nowadays. Or maybe for some kind of museum of pirating (or "development") hardware. As much as I loved the Z64 back in the day I am so glad modern stuff like the Everdrive64 exists.

Anyhow, good luck on the sales/trades. If I had something to offer I probably would have picked up that Z64, but I have no Atari computers ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

Rad! Yes the Z64 is a great unit, super solid. The Doctor V64 as well, love the parallel connection you can use for development.

They can both be modified to use a CF card and other connections too. The Doctor V64 even runs a 6502.

I used mine for development mostly. However have less room, so trying to focus the collection.

These have become really sought after by collectors in recent years, especially with the advent of Youtube. They are a great piece to have and have been appreciating in value. :D Fun to use with development with a parallel connection as well.

Edited by Jinroh

I really wanted a Dr. V64 at the time as the space a CD-R could hold was so much more than what the Zip 100 disks held, but I was never able to score one. Nintendo was really after Bung at the time for obvious reasons :) There is a demo called "Nintro64" by a group named "Split" in which they coded the entire demo using a V64 unit. It is a short but really awesome demo in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Definitely! It was not very long after Bung had released the Doctor V64 that Nintedo filed their suit. A bummer.

It is a neat unity though that even Acclaim and some other companies used. Like with the development of Turok 3.

Image result for turok 3 dr v64

I vaguely remember seeing Nintro64 on one of the scene sites back in the day. I will have to see if I can DL and watch it. :D Thanks for the memory. Nacho64 was a neat one as well.

4 minutes ago, madman said:

These are the "improved" versions of the V64 with the black buttons and black connector. Earlier connectors had thinner pins that didn't always make a great connection with the console. A cool blast from the past!

Oh rad, I had not known the made a revision to the V64. Thank you for the info! It is very robust, and well made.

The Mr. Backup Z64 is the one to have as well, because it is the 2nd model, that is more robust and has better firmware.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Jinroh said:

Definitely! It was not very long after Bung had released the Doctor V64 that Nintedo filed their suit. A bummer.

It is a neat unity though that even Acclaim and some other companies used. Like with the development of Turok 3.

Image result for turok 3 dr v64

I vaguely remember seeing Nintro64 on one of the scene sites back in the day. I will have to see if I can DL and watch it. :D Thanks for the memory. Nacho64 was a neat one as well.

The demo is kind of elusive, but here it is nonetheless. I remember running this on a Z64 back in the day and thinking it was so futuristic :) The music in it is still awesome in my book!

sp_nin64.zip

On 11/11/2019 at 12:15 AM, eightbit said:

The demo is kind of elusive, but here it is nonetheless. I remember running this on a Z64 back in the day and thinking it was so futuristic :) The music in it is still awesome in my book!

sp_nin64.zip 937.64 kB · 2 downloads

Oh rad thanks for the demo attachment! I am going to load this up over the weekend. :) Nice trio down memory lane.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:45 AM, TheCoolDave said:

Very cool...always wanted one of these... lol Classic stuff..

Well you could have these if you wanted. ;)

• Like 1

I had a Z64 for the longest time. Neat device! I sold it a long time ago and always wanted another one. Especially since you can modify them with HDD now.

I admit the Everdrive64 wiped out my desire to own one of these. However I would recommend the Z64 all day long if anyone is considering pulling the trigger on it. :)

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:36 AM, ClassicGMR said:

I had a Z64 for the longest time. Neat device! I sold it a long time ago and always wanted another one. Especially since you can modify them with HDD now.

I admit the Everdrive64 wiped out my desire to own one of these. However I would recommend the Z64 all day long if anyone is considering pulling the trigger on it. :)

The Everdrive is awesome. I have one as well for my N64. That is my daily driver for playing the N64 with my son.

I have some N64 development projects that I use the Doctor V64 for, however, as my N64 dev machine is a P2 400 with a Parallel Port and is super handy to just zip the binary over that way.

I love the Mr. Backup too it is a super amazingly built device especially the 2nd hardware revision I have. Plus I love Zip Disks. X3

If no one wants to trade I will keep them, but wanted to give someone a chance to snag them as I need some other stuff atm. And my N64 projects are on the faaaar back burner atm. X3

A lot of Atari projects to do first.

I would love to have the Z64...even with me already owning the Everdrive64. Primarily because I have a whole heck of a lot of nostalgia for this thing. I remember ordering one for a friend as well and for one reason or another he pulled the thing out of his N64 when it was ON and fried the unit! I had to contact the people at www.z64.com and see if they could help and they actually offered to replace it free of charge...which they did!

That was great service from a company selling such a product for sure ;)

If you ever decide to expand your trade want list let me know...maybe there is something I have that you want :)

Also (along with the free bump as this stuff is great!) for anyone looking at this Z64 and wondering what you can do:

http://silverfoxy.blogspot.com/2007/11/n64-with-z64-modded-to-take-compact.html

This person painstakingly wrote a firmware update for it a few years ago to allow a CF reader to be used as a replacement for the ZIP disk. Of course you will need access to a zip drive in order to get the file to it in order to update in the first place, but afterward you will be able to use this with CF reader which is great. 

And, the memory in the Z64 can be upgraded for those unaware. It takes SIMM modules (IIRC...been so long) and the board is actually a small 386 machine!

3 hours ago, eightbit said:

Also (along with the free bump as this stuff is great!) for anyone looking at this Z64 and wondering what you can do:

http://silverfoxy.blogspot.com/2007/11/n64-with-z64-modded-to-take-compact.html

This person painstakingly wrote a firmware update for it a few years ago to allow a CF reader to be used as a replacement for the ZIP disk. Of course you will need access to a zip drive in order to get the file to it in order to update in the first place, but afterward you will be able to use this with CF reader which is great. 

And, the memory in the Z64 can be upgraded for those unaware. It takes SIMM modules (IIRC...been so long) and the board is actually a small 386 machine!

Thank you for the free bump! :3 

That's right I forgot it was a 386. :3 I knew it was very moddable for CF cards and hard drives.

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

I would love to have the Z64...even with me already owning the Everdrive64. Primarily because I have a whole heck of a lot of nostalgia for this thing. I remember ordering one for a friend as well and for one reason or another he pulled the thing out of his N64 when it was ON and fried the unit! I had to contact the people at www.z64.com and see if they could help and they actually offered to replace it free of charge...which they did!

That was great service from a company selling such a product for sure ;)

If you ever decide to expand your trade want list let me know...maybe there is something I have that you want :)

Oh man! I feel so bad for him frying his unit, but omg. I am glad they replaced it. They were a great company as far as I remember. :3 They were expensive, so it is really great customer service of them to replace it.

Selling if you are so inclined and have nothing to trade. :3

Edited by Jinroh

Double checked what I paid, thought Mr. Backup seemed amiss.

Lowered Mr. Backup down to $300, on AA I sell things for what I have into them. Since you are all my friends. :)

Also added Lynx and Jaguar to my trade wants list.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...