IGNORED

NYD 2020

pps

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Add a 7 bytes routine (equivalent to Poke 580,1) to the demos and most will do a coldstart (reboot) when pressing Reset...

COLDSTA.XEX 7 B · 2 downloads

What does this do? My entry doesn't reboot aswell, it just gets broken and starts flickering when you hit RESET, so i'd like to fix this for future releases.

btw, is there any way to build a hardware reset button for an XE, so i don't have to use the power switch for a cold boot? I think the reset button is already connected to the RST pin, so a real hw reset should clear the memory aswell. did anyone build this already?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, milpool^tired said:

What does this do? My entry doesn't reboot aswell, it just gets broken and starts flickering when you hit RESET, so i'd like to fix this for future releases.

btw, is there any way to build a hardware reset button for an XE, so i don't have to use the power switch for a cold boot? I think the reset button is already connected to the RST pin, so a real hw reset should clear the memory aswell. did anyone build this already?

From 'Mapping the Atari':

580 244 COLDST

Coldstart flag. Zero is normal, if zero, then pressing RESET will not result in reboot. If POKEd with one (powerup in progress flag), the computer will reboot whenever the RESET key is pressed. Any non-zero number indicates the initial powerup routine is in progress.
  • Like 2

Okay,

here you are TRBB, all disk-images of NYD 2020 and almost all programs with reboot/coldstart routine added. Just press Reset now to reboot your computer!

The only exception is Mines.BAS since it is a Basic file; here one could add Poke 580,1 to the listing, if it weren't a 10-liner listing with "too long" lines (I therefore was unable to add the command into the listing). But you can simply press Reset or Break, then type POKE 580,1 as a direct command without line number and press Reset to reboot...

I tested all programs with the emulator and they still worked fine (and most, except the mentioned Basic file rebooted with Reset) - hopefully this is also the case with your real Atari. If not, let me know...

NYD_2020_with_Reboot.zip

• Like 3

Hi!

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Okay,

here you are TRBB, all disk-images of NYD 2020 and almost all programs with reboot/coldstart routine added. Just press Reset now to reboot your computer!

The only exception is Mines.BAS since it is a Basic file; here one could add Poke 580,1 to the listing, if it weren't a 10-liner listing with "too long" lines (I therefore was unable to add the command into the listing). But you can simply press Reset or Break, then type POKE 580,1 as a direct command without line number and press Reset to reboot...

Attached is a version of the MINES.BAS (as BAS file and also as listing source) that adds the POKE 580,1, still 10 lines.

Have Fun!

mines1.bas mines1.lst

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Okay,

If I am not wrong my contributions (NewTek Demo and Snowfall Atari) were already reset compliant.

Can you confirm so I know which files to keep?

9 hours ago, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong my contributions (NewTek Demo and Snowfall Atari) were already reset compliant.

Can you confirm so I know which files to keep?

Hi Philsan, yes they both were ok thank you. I liked both demos too and left Snowfall wunning for ages to fill up the snow piles and listen to the great music :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Snowfall Atari

89576403_SnowfallAtariscreenshot.png.bf6717252872f8a67ac1be443b7a9bd6.png

Snowfall Atari (2019)(Philsan).xex

- compiled Turbo-Basic XL

- 160x96 pixels image edited and converted using Atari Graphics Studio program by Tebe

- RMT player by Raster, adapted for TBXL by Marok

- original Atari Basic snowfall code (80x48 pixels) by Fred Key (1986)

- Depeche Mode Little 15 tune by Jakub Husak (2010)

- packed by Homesoft

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

NewTek Demo

Newtek01.png.85d348797c84d3569618f3f660bd887c.png Newtek04.png.6e8a9f97628b374be5fe7c3ccc1acea3.png Newtek07.png.22fba57c76d521ec1a0b9254cc2f609e.png

Newtek10.png.3ce75f3862387381fb46892a29619941.png Newtek08.png.37dba64c0199ecb9ee065d3b93b9c018.png Newtek11.png.db3b108ee20fd9a043ed1499029e2430.png

NewTek Demo (2019)(Philsan)(pal).xex

I converted some images from the famous Amiga NewTek Demo Reel #1 (1987).

Images are ripped from Amiga, manually edited and converted with RastaConverter program by @ilmenit.
Slideshow code is by @pps.

Amiga demo soundrack is Art of Noise's Paranoimia. I added it to the video, it isn't included in the demo.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone have any technical notes on the programming of Runner Bear? Ways to contact the developers? I thought I knew the hardware pretty well, having written some machine language games myself, but the parallax effect here is excellent and I have no idea how they could have achieved it. Display List Interrupts and fine scrolling registers of course... but there has to be something else.

3 hours ago, Fred Toronto said:

Does anyone have any technical notes on the programming of Runner Bear? Ways to contact the developers? I thought I knew the hardware pretty well, having written some machine language games myself, but the parallax effect here is excellent and I have no idea how they could have achieved it. Display List Interrupts and fine scrolling registers of course... but there has to be something else.

You can contact #playsoft or #kiwilove for more information here at atariage. 

I would assume they used used charmode and some 'in char scrolling' for that effect. 

On 6/19/2020 at 1:31 AM, Fred Toronto said:

@pps is correct, it uses character mode, the screen is scrolled left and the background characters are updated to scroll right (at a lesser rate). The hardware features it uses are horizontal scrolling, screen flipping (so that one screen can be displayed while the other is computed) and character set flipping (to scroll the background characters).

When you scroll a background character right it scrolls into the adjacent character. Say you have a row of characters containing AB (with spaces before and after). There are 3 different pairs of characters; (space, A), (A,B) & (B, space). To scroll them right you will need a scrolled character for each, XYZ, where X is space scrolling into A, Y is A scrolling into B, Z is B scrolling into space. Where the same pairs of characters are repeated in the background you can replace them with the same scrolled characters. In the attached example the (48x24 character) background contains 27 unique characters; after it has been converted for scrolling it contains 63 characters.

4 character sets are used. In character set #1 the background characters aren't scrolled right at all, in #2 by 1 pixel, in #3 by 2 pixels and in #4 by 3 pixels. In the attached example the screen scrolls left 1 pixel per frame and the character sets are swapped every other frame. Once the background characters have fully scrolled right and you want to reset back to character set #1, you need to recompute the screen. That takes a lot of CPU cycles because for every character in the screen buffer you need to look at the character in the foreground, if it is non-zero write it otherwise write the character from the background. That is where the screen flipping comes in, you break this down into small steps and work on the inactive screen so that it is ready for when you need to reset. In the attached example you have 8 frames before you need to reset, so it splits it down into a number of screen columns each frame.

I think that is everything. For simplicity I generate the scrolled background and character set data on the PC but this could be done on the A8 which would reduce the amount of data held in the XEX file. The main limitation is that the foreground designs need to use whole characters, if you leave bits of foreground characters blank it breaks the illusion.

scroll.zip

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the detailed explanation, @playsoft

It occurred to me that you had to use intra-character "animation" but there are so many (apparent) variations in the hills I didn't think anyone would go to that much trouble. But I guess if you were to decompose it the hills can be constructed from a relatively finite set of variations amenable to character mapping. Sounds like you had some useful PC-based tools to streamline this.

At any rate, brilliant. Kudos!