Jump to content
keithbk

Atari 2600 on the Collectorvision Console

Recommended Posts

I had read where the Collectorvision Console was fully capable of playing both Colecovision and Atari 2600 cartridges and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this new fan-created system, including the use of original/aftermarket 2600 joysticks, paddles, etc with the console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could buy an adaptor for the Colecovision that let you play 2600 games in the 80s. Was the subject of an atari lawsuit when it came out but I think Atari lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of those with my Colecovision. I don't think it can hook into the Collectorvision, however.

 

The more I have looked into the Collectorvision, it appears it only plays Atari 2600 Roms through an SD Card, but plays actual Colecovision cartridges.

Edited by keithbk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, keithbk said:

I have one of those with my Colecovision. I don't think it can hook into the Collectorvision, however.

 

The more I have looked into the Collectorvision, it appears it only plays Atari 2600 Roms through an SD Card, but plays actual Colecovision cartridges.

Check the release thread. There are a lot of people posting about it there.  And yes at this time it will only play 2600 on SD card but they are working on a cartridge port adapter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Karl G said:

They showed it in action on Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream. It seems to have some limitations that would affect compatibility with many modern homebrews. I believe it's a FPGA solution that can't do ARM-based games, and doesn't handle early HMOVEs correctly.

I think in theory it can, but there hasn’t been much work in implementing modern 2600 cart technology from SD cards in FPGA. I think the best at this point is that analogue has come up with the DPC implementation for pitfall 2 that I’m not sure mist or mister has yet.  I think they made one a few month ago where you use a *.p2 extension. A cart adapter should solve a lot of these problems with special cart compatibility. I would be interested to know the compatibility of the one or two fpga 2600s one-offs that have a cart slot. I think Metal Jesus had one that looked like a Walkman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't play Atari carts on the Phoenix, only ROMs through an SD card and the quality is all over the place.  Some games are near perfect such as Demon Attack.  Some have minor graphical issues such as Spider Fighter's "Bonus 500" text looks like an alien language.  Some are almost unplayable.  Cosmic Ark is completely missing the alarm to warn you of a meteor attack if you spend too long on a planet for example.  CollectorVision are working on a cartridge adapter, which I've seen photos of but they say it will be a "long time" before it's out and who knows how long that is.  Also have no idea if it will allow me to play all my Atari2600 carts on the Phoenix, including homebrews.  I hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I read the cart adapter will be out next year.  I believe all current homebrews will work with it in theory but I could be wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

You can't play Atari carts on the Phoenix, only ROMs through an SD card and the quality is all over the place.  Some games are near perfect such as Demon Attack.  Some have minor graphical issues such as Spider Fighter's "Bonus 500" text looks like an alien language.  Some are almost unplayable.  Cosmic Ark is completely missing the alarm to warn you of a meteor attack if you spend too long on a planet for example.  CollectorVision are working on a cartridge adapter, which I've seen photos of but they say it will be a "long time" before it's out and who knows how long that is.  Also have no idea if it will allow me to play all my Atari2600 carts on the Phoenix, including homebrews.  I hope so.

Have you tried the versions in the Phoenix 2600 conversions pack I posted in the Phoenix release thread? There are over 500 games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swami said:

Have you tried the versions in the Phoenix 2600 conversions pack I posted in the Phoenix release thread? There are over 500 games. 

No.  Do they all work well?  Can I download the games individually if I don't want all 500?  I didn't even know there were that many Atari2600 games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

No.  Do they all work well?  Can I download the games individually if I don't want all 500?  I didn't even know there were that many Atari2600 games.  

Maybe 5% or so have glitches from barely noticeable to mild. They come in a single zip file, but it is only 2.8 MB, so you can download it to your pc and then take individual files out. Between originals and homebrews there are over 1000 games. I think most of the paddle games don’t work well though, as with the joystick they usually have only 3 or 4 positions rather than continuous movement, but I haven’t checked them all. For some you need to turn on the superchip option or reset after loading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I thought I read the cart adapter will be out next year.  I believe all current homebrews will work with it in theory but I could be wrong 

Ooh, I hope so.  Next year, even if it is this time next year, wouldn't be so bad.  That would be within an expected timeframe but beyond that, I will experience increasing levels of impatience, disappointment etc, the longer the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like there is still work to be done on the FPGA-implementation of the Atari 2600 in the Collectorvision Phoenix.

 

From the short test on ZeroPage Homebrew's stream, I could see that even simple games have annoying glitches.

Things I noticed :

  • CTRLPF score-mode is not supported (i.e. where the left half of the playfield gets a different color than the right half)
  • 48-bit sprites are messed up (i.e. where both player graphic registers use 3 close-copies to create a 48-bit wide sprite)

If even these basic things don't work correctly, I doubt if this FPGA-implementation is ready for prime time.

I think the MiST implementation of the 2600 has the same issues, so maybe this was copied over to the Collectorvision Phoenix?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...