IGNORED

What monitor/screen are you using for your TI? And why?

Mehridian Sanders

Heatwave - Magnavox 8cm515 rgb analog

Test bench has two systems connected to a samsung 910mp - geneve via scart and TI w/f18a via vga

Will connect a vga / gbs device and  4:3 LCD to my programing Geneve (versus the Kodak SV1310 crt) after I complete my hardware refresh.  Thx to shift838 for helping with that gbs setup.

I use the following video displays with my various consoles: Optoma projector via KanexPro HDMI converter, Dell 2001FP and 2007FP, Pyle projector (my travel and exhibit kit,) Eyoyo 5" LCD with USB power, Sony 15" LCD (usually for travel.)  I have one F18A Enhanced console, while the rest are all composite.

All devices have TI-compatible composite input.  I use the KanexPro with the Optoma projector to convert TI composite to HDMI (also an NES, Atari 7800, and Sega CDX) as the receiver I have is HDMI.  Technically the receiver has TI-capable composite input, but it treats the input signal as interlaced.

30 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

you guys have a lot fancier setups than I, lol. 

i'm using a $99 bargain-bin walmart flat panel tv that does extra-duty between my 2600/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch/TI with composite cable.  :)  i think the picture looks pretty darn good, all things considered.

Same setup as us, except replace the XBox One with a PS4/PS3 and the 2600 with a WiiU.

heheheh The Optoma projector is something I picked up about three years ago to replace my 32" CRT.  I figured HD is HD at any screen size, so why not get one I can adjust?  I will likely never go back to regular old TV sets.

More on-topic, I wish I had not gotten rid of my 32" CRT TV.  It was in perfect condition and much lighter and less bulky than the 27" I just picked up for my old systems.

• Like 1

On my main TI system I use a Proview 15" LCD monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio with built in speakers.  It's a pretty decent match for the TI's color scheme.

Proview.thumb.jpg.b80b3aa5d4213ad6b4fc57567b461339.jpg

On my portable system I use a 3.5" backup camera monitor as this system is stock.

605818116_BackupMonitor.thumb.jpg.dc7081703056d8ac80a1b9c611d8bde1.jpg

When I go to Festwest or other classic computer get togethers I use a Coby 15" TV that works with the F18A

Coby.JPG.67379b70c18605230d73c44069e67f16.JPG

Once the F18A Mk2 is released I'll have to retire the Proview and see what I can find as a replacement.

7 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Once the F18A Mk2 is released I'll have to retire the Proview and see what I can find as a replacement.

Unless you really want to replace it, just use an HDMI to VGA converter.  These things are dirt cheap and I have had great results with them.

2 hours ago, PeteE said:

I have a 13" Sony Trinitron CRT connected to my TI through composite cable.  Old computers deserve the glow of phosphors. :) 

Indeed.  In some cases literally need it!  I watched a video recently about how Nintento did its graphics and what it called "half-pixels" to take advantage of how CRT screens worked with mixing adjacent colors, and how those tricks do not translate to modern screens.

• Like 1

I have a Craig LCD that was in my parents camper when I bought it from them.  It accepts composite input and displays beautifully with upscaling or HDMI conversions.  The letters show up crisply and the colors come through like they are supposed to.  The text based games look amazing on it compared to my previous video solutions.

The display setup as a whole is fairly complex, in that customarily, the signal is matrix switched through two Extron RGB matrix switches (an MVX88 and MVX44), and the analogue signal processor path during use of the TI-99/4A consists of distribution to an Extron VSC-500 for downscaling and positional adjustments, then transmission to an Extron RGB 203Rxi for postprocessing, then transmission to an Extron RGB 120 for signal level adjustments, before display on a (1987) Panasonic BT-M1310-Y rackmounted studio monitor.  But that's just the analogue end of things, and doesn't consider digital transcoding, processing and capture.  Since all my digital signals are matrix switched as well (via a Binary B-100 8x8 HDMI matrix switch), and so the TI-99's signal can also be routed to any digital display (there are five in permanent use) or digital signal processing device.  Display configuration changes are macroed via an RS232-based control application of my own creation (since essentially all Extron devices and professional matrix switches support RS232-based control).  So the setup as a whole looks like this in terms of a/v signal routing:

setup.jpg

The desk setup where the TI-99 is located looks like this and is on a 16u rack, but most devices are on an adjacent 42u rack:

ti99-monitor-setup.jpg

I do, as well, have a solution for mounting a digital monitor in lieu of my PVM screen and in its place but very rarely use this for TI-99.  Really, that's just a solution for when I want sharp VGA graphics and want them in that specific location rather than on any adjacent monitor.

ti99-digital.jpg

And the signal can as I say just as easily be routed to the adjacent displays:

ti-99-all-displays.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

The display setup as a whole is fairly complex, in that customarily, the signal is matrix switched through two Extron RGB matrix switches (an MVX88 and MVX44), and the analogue signal processor path during use of the TI-99/4A consists of distribution to an Extron VSC-500 for downscaling and positional adjustments, then transmission to an Extron RGB 203Rxi for postprocessing, then transmission to an Extron RGB 120 for signal level adjustments, before display on a (1987) Panasonic BT-M1310-Y rackmounted studio monitor.  But that's just the analogue end of things, and doesn't consider digital transcoding, processing and capture.  Since all my digital signals are matrix switched as well (via a Binary B-100 8x8 HDMI matrix switch), and so the TI-99's signal can also be routed to any digital display (there are five in permanent use) or digital signal processing device.  Display configuration changes are macroed via an RS232-based control application of my own creation (since essentially all Extron devices and professional matrix switches support RS232-based control).  So the setup as a whole looks like this in terms of a/v signal routing:

setup.jpg

The desk setup where the TI-99 is located looks like this and is on a 16u rack, but most devices are on an adjacent 42u rack:

ti99-monitor-setup.jpg

I do, as well, have a solution for mounting a digital monitor in lieu of my PVM screen and in its place but very rarely use this for TI-99.  Really, that's just a solution for when I want sharp VGA graphics and want them in that specific location rather than on any adjacent monitor.

ti99-digital.jpg

And the signal can as I say just as easily be routed to the adjacent displays:

ti-99-all-displays.jpg

Jesus Christ, man! :D

I remember you talking about your setup before- it's a darn cool one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Yeah, if there were ever a contest for the most impressive looking TI system, he might win!

Or for "most unnecessary" anyway :P

I mean, everything is actually doing something I deem useful.  But it reflects on the fact that I'm at least as much a legacy a/v signal processing nerd as I am a TI-99 nerd, and whenever I realise there's a way I could be meddling with a/v signal processing in a way I'm not already meddling with it, I have to. 

What I'd *really* like most at this point particularly from a TI-99/4A point of view is a RS-232 matrix switching solution, which is, ideally, itself controlled via an RS-232 command set.  As this would allow me to control all devices and routing from the TI-99/4A itself.  It wouldn't be any more practical than my current custom-made GUI-based RS-232 command control interface solution, which looks like this, in its minimised state, as a macro selection interface (where "macro" signifies a selection of commands built via its full interface, sent to different devices which are all relevant to a given use case): 

image.thumb.png.4cae4fcda2bd9d956d3833b649e3ed5f.png

It would be a lot less practical to go the RS232 switch route, honestly.  But anything I can do with the TI-99/4A, I'd like to.  And that would make that possible.  i.e., to make an interface for building macros, controlling equipment and executing assembled macros in Extended Basic. 

I suppose I could also create the matrix itself in software, using a cheap USB 8 or 16 port serial hub (currently, I'm using a switched USB hub with individual PL2303 adapters).  But it'd be less fun than using dedicated equipment. 

The WTI RSM-16 looks like it might be a cool solution, as far as RS232 matrices go:

image.png.71206df61c874f4fa9193fbe7391c81a.png

Though I think I'd prefer a model using RJ45, for cable space economy reasons.  Could just use dongles. 

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Like 1