IGNORED

Project "SIO to MP3" for all 8-Bit ATARI´s

andymanone

Hi folks,

at the beginning of this year, there was sourrounding an idea in my head, to bringing

MP3 experience to all 8-Bit Ataris, without too much technical and financial effort.

I´ve planned to realise, an external easy "Plug´n´Play" and an internal version

(with a minimum of soldering skills).

The idea behind is, to control a cheap but powerful MP3-Codec via SIO commands.

So I´ve started to creating a Prototype (you can see at the pictures below).
(I was a bit surprised how well the prototype already worked ?).

For easy testing,  I wrote the code in TB (works great for the Prototype), but finally it should be a small piece of

Assembler code, putting in a switchable ROM.

At the moment the MP3 files are stored on a SD, but for the future I´ve planned, to make it possible to provide

the mp3 files directly from the ATARI to the CODEC.

Unfortunately, this project just stucked for a while, depend on more important issues....

But I want to ask here, if it´s basicly for interest, to go on? 

If anybody is interested in, I can start to go on and also, if required, I can provide the used material and the beta code.

Gtx.,
andY

IMG-20190217-191409.jpg

IMG-20190217-191459.jpg

IMG-20190217-191330.jpg

• Like 8

Hello Andy

4 hours ago, andymanone said:

At the moment the MP3 files are stored on a SD, but for the future I´ve planned, to make it possible to provide

the mp3 files directly from the ATARI to the CODEC.

Will this mean that the mp3 files can only be send from the Atari to the CODEC or can we send them from the Atari to the CODEC and load them from an SD?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, xxl said:

you can use pin 11 in the SIO slot to mix with Atari audio, you won't need a separate Audio connection

Hi XXL,
yes, I know ?, but I'd prefer, to playback in stereo.

But you´re right, as a simplest version (w/o any addition cabling) it would be the best solution.

Btw, your SIO-Card looks also great ?.

Gtx.,

andY

On 11/10/2019 at 2:12 AM, Mathy said:

Will this mean that the mp3 files can only be send from the Atari to the CODEC or can we send them from the Atari to the CODEC and load them from an SD?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

at the moment the CODEC reads the required data directly from SD and the ATARI "only" sends the proper commands to control it.

The biggest advantage is, that you´re able to replay MP3/Audio files in "HIFI" quality without any CPU-load (maybe for forthcoming

great demos with high quality audio experience, without any BUS limitations and CPU lackage)

The disadvantage on the other side is, that you´re forced, to prepare your SD on a PC or Mac with the proper files before.

For the future I´ve planned a version, where you´re also able, to load files from Disk (SD-Drive MAX, SIO2PC, you name it) and store it to the MP3 SD-Card.

The option to "stream" the Data directly to the CODEC is theoretically also possible, but, depend on the limited bus speed and high CPU load, it makes no sence in my eyes.... 
(I´ve tried to simulate it with different "downsized" bitrates, but the quality sucks a lot.)

Gtx.,

andY

On 11/10/2019 at 2:38 AM, Marius said:

Seems to be a cool add-on.

Definitely interested in!

On 11/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, ebiguy said:

+1

Excellent idea.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:58 AM, Sikor said:

@andymanone: good idea

Thanks guys, for the positive feedback ??!

andY

• Like 1