IGNORED

Scraped away a trace and conducts to cap

1 hour ago, Polish.Gasoline said:

They are touching.  I'm afraid to put power to it.  It might short.

I think you should be asking if this is by design, so it is OK, or if this not normal.

If someone here has a 2609 that is out of the case, then they can look at it for confirmation if this pin should be making contact with that trace.

1 hour ago, Polish.Gasoline said:

It isn't normal.  There is continuity between the two.  Is there any way to cover it up?

No, if it isn't normal, then covering it will not do anything.  You need to remove the solder that is causing the issue.

19 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If you can't separate them, then you'd probably have to remove all the solder, protect the trace with new mask material, and then re-solder.

Exactly, get a solder sucker, or try some solder wick, and remove all the solder - and then re-solder as needed

The main thing is to apply the solder correctly.  First wick it off.  Then hold the soldering iron against both the pad and the leg to be soldered.  Now let the solder melt over it.  If you only apply enough solder to make that connection, it should not bleed over to adjacent areas, even if they are unmasked.  Also, use flux.  That helps your solder to avoid blobbing.

• 2 months later...