IGNORED

Robot City reloaded

Thomas Jentzsch

11 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

With your latest build of RC6, when you're moving and holding the button and you stop, you get stuck in that spot and aren't able to start moving again unless you let go of the button. It kind of kicks you into 'Pressing the Button While Stopped' mode, which can already be achieved by stopping and then holding the fire button.

I think it's more useful to be able to move again after stopping without having to let go of the fire button. It's a little too cumbersome to have to let go of the button, start moving and then press the button again to start firing. It kind of forces you into a mode of not being able to ever stop in the maze unless you want to temporarily stop firing again to move, that short period of time could cost you a life. Thoughts?

If have fixed this in the new RC7 version attached to the first post. 

0 bytes free! :) 

Note: A PAL-60 version is now included too. But it may have slight timing problems. Please let me know if you notice any.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Let me know if you want any help with byte savings.

Thanks for your kind offer.

The code is heavily optimized already and partially not easy to understand even for me. I can give you read access, but I would prefer to review before you push anything. OK?

This game is definitely not a run and gun or your typical shooter, lots of strategy involved to play this one. The bots don't mindlessly roam about the maze but really do their best to seek you out and box you in. Kind of feels like Pac-Man with robots.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

0 bytes free! :) 

Note: A PAL-60 version is now included too. But it may have slight timing problems. Please let me know if you notice any.

Looking at the binary I can see a lot of NOP instructions at 0x2DF, and $00 values at 0xCE5 (NTSC version)?   The $00s are presumably used for sprite masking, but it looks like the NOPs could be replaced with something more compact?

Chris

Edited by cd-w

7 hours ago, cd-w said:

Looking at the binary I can see a lot of NOP instructions at 0x2DF, and $00 values at 0xCE5 (NTSC version)?   The $00s are presumably used for sprite masking, but it looks like the NOPs could be replaced with something more compact?

That's the disabled SaveKey code. 

Update: With help from OmegaMatrix (thanks a lot!) I found the necessary 15 bytes for making PAL-60 stable too (RC8 added to first post).

Unless someone finds a bug, I consider this done. Many thanks to everyone for your support!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

0 bytes free! [emoji4] 

I find out I like the hold fire to shoot and keep the helicopter stationary, helps keep me from hitting the enemy after I shoot him. The hold and fire while not moving is a lot like Berzerk which helps for direct shots without enemy or wall collision. Anyway to toggle between the two methods? Maybe B/W switch or difficulty?

50 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

I find out I like the hold fire to shoot and keep the helicopter stationary, helps keep me from hitting the enemy after I shoot him. The hold and fire while not moving is a lot like Berzerk which helps for direct shots without enemy or wall collision. Anyway to toggle between the two methods?

What you describe is what we have now. Not sure what could be switched here. 

50 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

Maybe B/W switch or difficulty?

Most likely not. That would require too many bytes.

In release candidate 6 pressing and holding fire prevents helicopter from moving while firing. Character movement mimics guy in Berzerk somewhat. Current firing style your always able to move when firing. This restricted movement was a bug in RC6.

We'll be playing the updated Robot City on tomorrow's (Sun May 3) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...