IGNORED

Looking for floppy disk cable

cbmeeks

I'm *finally* getting around to assembling my PEB setup.  I thought I had everything I needed until I realized I don't have a correct floppy disk cable.

When I look at the connector of the floppy drive (Shugart 400L), I noticed the edge connector has a slot that is in a different location than the disk controller (PHP1240).

Now, the 1240 has two connectors.  One is the old style 5.25" like you see for DOS.  But it also has a 34 pin "newer" style like for 3.5" drives.  The 5.25" edge connector on the disk controller has the slot in a different location.

However, I'm not sure if that even matters.  I *DO* have a cable that goes from the 34 pin connector (newer style) and on the other end, has the female connector to the drive.  It has no slot.  Both ends fit wonderfully.  The problem is that the cable is about 4 inches long.  So it cannot reach.

My question is, does anyone know the definitive "use this" cable for this setup?  Do you have one you could part with?

Thanks!

You don't have to worry about the slots, if you make your own cable. Ribbon cables can easily be made at home. Push the connectors together in a vice.

Since you don't have any tab for the slot, you have to figure out how to orient them properly. But since one side of the edge connectors are all ground connections, that's not difficult to find out.

3 hours ago, apersson850 said:

But since one side of the edge connectors are all ground connections, that's not difficult to find out.

heheheh just do not try it out with an important disk in the drive.  Since the signals are active-low, grounding them all out turns on the motor, selects the drive, activates the write gate, and sends a never-ending signal to the head.  Whoops!

Of the numerous drives from various brands with which I have worked, I can count on one hand the number which do not have pin 1 or pin 2 marked at the connector.

1 hour ago, apersson850 said:

Without a disk in the drive, what happens is never ending spinning of the drive. But I meant that you can easily measure which side is ground, since each of the pins are the same.

No, I get that, but not everyone does and sometimes even the best of us leave a disk in the drive when futzing about.  (Fairly recently, actually... ::sigh::)

And measure??  Brother, please!  No one breaks out the multi-meter until it is far too late ;)

• Like 1

I used to make SCSI cables by hand many moons ago.  We had a special crimper for the job that made it easy.  I used to also make network patch cables by hand too.  Which sounds silly today but back then, network cables were expensive relatively speaking.

37 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

I used to make SCSI cables by hand many moons ago.  We had a special crimper for the job that made it easy.  I used to also make network patch cables by hand too.  Which sounds silly today but back then, network cables were expensive relatively speaking.

A lot of cabling guys I know still make their own cables when the standard lengths will not work.  Not quite a lost art, yet.

I lost my IDC crimper a long time ago.  Still sad about it.

I actually enjoyed making my own cables.  In fact, I really need to start doing it again.  I have all of the stuff to make network patch cables but I still find myself going to my junk drawer and finding a pre-made one that is usually 40% too long.  So I just roll it up and velcro it off.  Instead of making a custom length.  Guess I got lazy.