Picked by: Floyd Turbo

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED

DEFAULT - NO CHANGES NEEDED

This round's game 2 of 2:

Talbot

ROM Name: Talbot

ROM File: talbot

Picked by: Ramses

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Lives: 3

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday November 24, 11:59pm PST

PREVIOUS ROUND RESULTS:

BIONIC COMMANDO

youxia

100.0%

Ramses

91.0%

Cynicaster

80.7%

patbb

79.3%

MAME Offender

55.9%

asponge

50.6%

Mangia-Boy

35.6%

AtariWarlord

35.2%

Floyd Turbo

32.3%

hero2billions

28.4%

S.BAZ

19.7%

jblenkle

3.1%

CYBATTLER

Cynicaster

100.0%

Ramses

93.9%

youxia

52.2%

AtariWarlord

49.6%

asponge

48.5%

MAME Offender

45.1%

Floyd Turbo

42.7%

hero2billions

13.8%

Mangia-Boy

11.5%

jblenkle

10.5%

patbb

0.0%

S.BAZ

0.0%

OVERALL STANDINGS TO DATE:

STANDINGS TO DATE

Ramses

92.4%

Cynicaster

90.3%

youxia

76.1%

MAME Offender

50.5%

asponge

49.6%

AtariWarlord

42.4%

patbb

39.7%

Floyd Turbo

37.5%

Mangia-Boy

23.5%

hero2billions

21.1%

S.BAZ

9.8%

jblenkle

6.8%

trog.zip talbot.zip

Edited by Cynicaster

Talbot - 50,650

This game is just TOO CUTE. Also a bit easy, I played for ~ 10 minutes on my first ever attempt. There seems to be room for lot of tricks and tactics so a skilled player could probably hog it for a long time. Not sure how did they make any money on this cab :)

The dog is your friend, right?

• Like 1

Yeah Talbot is an extremely obscure arcade game. I was digging DEEP in the dark depths of MAME when I originally came across this one. I didn't like it that much at first, but it grew on me. The game is a little rough around the edges, but it has some interesting game mechanics. It brings its own spin to the maze game genre.

TALBOT GAMEPLAY

You need to catch the rabbits and bring them back down to the lower pens. The computer team is also trying to do the same, but with the upper pens. You want to get more rabbits than them or else you LOSE A LIFE. The level ends when you catch 8 rabbits.

When you are carrying a rabbit, you are vulnerable. If one of the two enemy catchers touch you while you are carrying a rabbit, you LOSE A LIFE. If you or the dog touch an enemy catcher while they are carrying a rabbit, they drop any rabbits they are carrying and are temporarily taken out.

Your talbot dog is your friend. You can use him to help catch the rabbits in a pincer movement, though he basically has a mind of his own. That said, you have a little bit of control over him. One of the buttons makes the dog drop down a spike bed which slows down the rabbits, the enemy catchers, and you (though it seems to slow the rabbits down more). The other button sics your dog after the catchers. Both of these actions use up "fuel" which you can replenish by picking up the cups of coffee/milk.

Another thing to note is that the catchers can go into your pen and steal your rabbits and you can steal theirs as well (but only one at a time). There is also a werewolf rat thing that appears after the first loop that will make you LOSE A LIFE if it touches you.

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AtariWarlord said:

So do we set Trog to easy (not in the dip switches but in-game) or a higher difficulty?

Player’s choice.  It’s not really a difficulty setting, but a starting level selection.  There’s probably not much point in most players doing anything but easy.  

• Thanks 1

Just a note on Talbot...

When I tested the game on MAME v139 before uploading the ROM on this thread, it defaulted to 3 lives as shown in the opening post.  

I run a slightly older version of MAME on my cabinet (v122) and when I tried Talbot on there, I noticed that it defaults to a whopping 6 lives rather than the 3 lives listed in the rules for this round.   I went in to change the DIP settings to 3 lives, and all of the labels for the settings were missing (they all just said 'unknown').  By trial and error, I was able to get the game to run on 3 lives by setting the first 2 dip switches to 'on.'  

Please verify that all scores submitted for Talbot are achieved with 3 lives. 

36 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

Just a note on Talbot...

When I tested the game on MAME v139 before uploading the ROM on this thread, it defaulted to 3 lives as shown in the opening post.  

I run a slightly older version of MAME on my cabinet (v122) and when I tried Talbot on there, I noticed that it defaults to a whopping 6 lives rather than the 3 lives listed in the rules for this round.   I went in to change the DIP settings to 3 lives, and all of the labels for the settings were missing (they all just said 'unknown').  By trial and error, I was able to get the game to run on 3 lives by setting the first 2 dip switches to 'on.'  

Please verify that all scores submitted for Talbot are achieved with 3 lives. 

I just double checked mine, and it's set to 3.

Trog - 3,123,640

Talbot - 57,730

I really like Talbot's gameplay ideas but it does suffer from the Nibbler Syndrome on my setup, where it's very difficult to make a right turn at the right moment, probably due to playing with a Dualshock. It makes dying quite infuriating though so I will probably call it a day. Overall, quite enjoyable games for me this round, seeing as the maze game is probably my least favourite arcade subgenre.

IMG-20191114-170355.jpg

IMG_20191117_191239.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, Cynicaster said:

Talbot - 48,900

There is definitely something I’m not getting about the scoring system in this game.  I don’t really understand why my score at the end of the first level varies by about 100% from game to game...?

CD6A385C-F715-488D-99C3-F989322F7711.jpeg

I've noticed that too. I think you get higher points the more rabbits you bring back at once. I'm not sure how much you get if your dog takes out one of the enemy players (if you get any at all).