IGNORED

Finally! An Atari ST HDMI All Resolution Solution!!

bfollowell

1 minute ago, Goochman said:

I look at it this way - I believe the total items were $20 USD - and I think he did some massaging to add the sound output as well?  SInce there was some labor on his part - not just slapping a label on something he should be entitled to some markup.  Whether you agree that $100 was too much or not depends - if it did what he claimed it to do then Id pay the $134 tomorrow again.

You also have to give him some props for not walking away with everyones money on this which is how alot of this stuff ends up.

Yeah, he really didn't do anything with the sound at least with the main converter device. The little Chinese adapter had a stereo audio input to inject sound into the HDMI stream. I believe his RGB to VGA adapter has an audio out to connect the device's audio cable to, so he did add it to his VGA adapter, and he designed and built the little cartridge port USB power adapter thing. Both of those devices were fine and seemed to be well built. It was only the Chinese converter that was junk.

Also, while we can certainly fault him for not doing his due diligence to test and confirm the device, I don't think anyone can fault him for the way he's handled the situation now that he knows. Once I emailed him my results, he promptly issue me a full refund, shipping included, removed his video from YouTube and removed the item from his store. He said he's also contacted everyone else that had purchased the item from him. At least he's honest, if not very thorough.

• Like 1

It sounds like the OSSC is probably the main device of choice for displaying old systems like the ST on a modern HDMI compatible non-15kHz compatible display. I have a couple of questions about it.

First, how does the OSSC handle ST high resolution, or does it?

Second, I see a lot of OSSCs on eBay, but a lot of those are coming from China. Is there any benefit to purchasing from a domestic vendor and paying a large markup over ordering from China? I'm sure that's where they're all coming from anyway. Heck, my wife and I will be spending three weeks in Shenzhen around Chinese New Year to visit our grandson. Maybe I can buy one while I'm there and bring it home myself.

Thanks.

I was it with a SCART cable generally with the ST and an Amiga.
I have one of the Chinese built ones (going by the price) plugged into a VGA / Audio switcher. In the switch, I have a Mega STE (via ST2VGA switch to allow all 3 resolutions*), TT and Falcon. All of them benefit of the OSSC’s line multiplier compared to the monitor’s scaler.

* Some tinkering is required to tweak the image for high res.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, vattari said:

I was it with a SCART cable generally with the ST and an Amiga.
I have one of the Chinese built ones (going by the price) plugged into a VGA / Audio switcher. In the switch, I have a Mega STE (via ST2VGA switch to allow all 3 resolutions*), TT and Falcon. All of them benefit of the OSSC’s line multiplier compared to the monitor’s scaler.

* Some tinkering is required to tweak the image for high res.

I may pick one of these up, now that I've got my money back from Andrew. Heck, I could've bought one of these from the start with the amount that I spent on that device!

So, some tinkering required for high res. Is it good once you get it setup, or do you lose it if you then drop back to one of the color modes? I guess what I'm asking is, if you only use high res occasionally, do you have to do the tinkering every time?

vattari: Did you order the remote control with it? I can't seem to figure out if I need it for configuring things or if it's a "nice to have, but not required" device. Thanks.

I never thought you could use it in high res! That's awesome. It really is an all-in-one solution then.

vattari: Did you order the remote control with it? I can't seem to figure out if I need it for configuring things or if it's a "nice to have, but not required" device. Thanks.

I never thought you could use it in high res! That's awesome. It really is an all-in-one solution then.

I did order the remote with overlay. It’s by far the easiest way to navigate through the menus which you’ll do a lot of when setting this up

• Like 1

Reading the OSSC page and looking at the inputs/outputs, I'd use an ST->VGA (D-SUB15  connector) cable to connect to the OSSC?  Then I'd configure the OSSC with the remote and run HDMI or DVI-D out to my TV or monitor?

To get all 3 resolutions, yes, that’s the way to go.
Audio will need to go directly from the Atari to the display rather than via the OSSC because the VGA input (AV3) doesn’t have audio input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, vattari said:

Audio will need to go directly from the Atari to the display rather than via the OSSC because the VGA input (AV3) doesn’t have audio input.

Are you sure about that? Do you have v1.5 or v1.6? The Quick Start Guide definitely shows an audio input labeled AV3 Audio In, and the VGA/D-Sub15 input is labeled as AV3, at least on v1.6, and I figure anyone purchasing now will be receiving a v1.6 unit.

I think I'm planning to purchase one of these soon.

10 hours ago, vattari said:

To get all 3 resolutions, yes, that’s the way to go.

Okay, I can do that if need be.  Is there a problem with buying one of the ebay OSSC kits?

Thanks!

Edited by Colleton

On 11/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, bfollowell said:

Are you sure about that? Do you have v1.5 or v1.6? The Quick Start Guide definitely shows an audio input labeled AV3 Audio In, and the VGA/D-Sub15 input is labeled as AV3, at least on v1.6, and I figure anyone purchasing now will be receiving a v1.6 unit.

I think I'm planning to purchase one of these soon.

If you dont mind posting a bill of materials or links to the items purchased to achieve 3 rez support on an LCD Id appreciate it :)

7 hours ago, Goochman said:

If you dont mind posting a bill of materials or links to the items purchased to achieve 3 rez support on an LCD Id appreciate it :)

Really, all you need is a Best Electronics VGA cable, or a RGB to VGA adapter and VGA cable, and a 15kHz compatible monitor.

You can get the Best Electronics cable here:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm

You can get a VGA adapter here:

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0107

You'll need a standard VGA cable to go with it.

Then you'll need to find a 15kHz compatible monitor. ebay is your best choice here, because you'll be looking for an old monitor.

If you want the best option, but also the most expensive, you'll want to get an OSSC. You can get those here:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

The OSSC will allow you to get all three resolutions on a modern LCD monitor via HDMI.

Edited by bfollowell

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Does the OSSC still require a 15khz monitor?

Thanks.

No, it's a line-doubler. It is my understanding that it line-doubles anything below 31kHz and anything above is just passed through, or line-doubles to something higher, 800p in the case of Atari ST high res. I'm not certain that's an option with Atari high res though. Can anyone else confirm that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, Goochman said:

Thanks for the follow up - the search continues!

So, there is a solution that I have found that is relatively inexpensive. I have only tried it from a PAL STE. 
1. For Hi res, any ST RGB to VGA will work. Cool Novelties has a cable and it works well.
2. The simple Color option uses the Cool Novelties RBG to RCA (Stereo Red/White and video Yellow). This will work two ways. It *might* outoput directly to your TV / Monitor is it can decode PAL off of the RCA cables. But the better way to to use an RCA to HDMI converter ($25, available on Amazon).
This will look GOOD in Low res, but not so great in Med. 
3. For full color, the Cool Novelties ST RGB to SCART and then a SCART to HDMI box (Amazon, NOT EBAY. The seller there sold me a broken one and will not refund my full $$)  
This is what I have been using to create great STE and ST game videos and it works really well. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

If anybody is wondering how to hook up a 1040stf to a modern lcd screen via HDMI, I purchased a "Retrotink 2x Scart" adapter and an "Atari ST High Quality RGB Scart Lead Video Cable" from Retro Computer Shack.

Low and Medium resolution look great (very sharp) on the tv (won't do mono high res, but that's fine with me.) The sound works fine too. The Atari 1040STf doesn't have a modulator, and it is a North American Atari ST, not a PAL model, just in case anyone needs clarification.

This way you don't need to worry about purchasing a specific model of monitor that has the right refresh rate. Hooking the ST up via a Scart cable may not seem like an option to people from North America (or Canada specifically) like me. FYI

RETROTINK 2x SCART  (Scart input, hdmi output)

ATARI ST monitor cable to RGB SCART Cable

(Depending upon the model of ST you own, you may need a slightly different SCART cable, be careful to buy the right one.)

(I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, just a customer, but they both come highly recommended)

Edited by stuarts
  • Like 1

Yes, but this was probably not a good thread to revive for this. This thread was about a supposed solution for all three resolutions, and your SCART cable And RetroTink is only going to work with low and medium at best. The solution this thread was about didn’t pan out and I’d really prefer people not see the thread revived and think something has changed.

Actually, I thought this thread had gotten locked months ago. Could a moderator please take care of locking this thread so that it can’t be revived again?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Years ago when I had a multisync monitor that would do 15 kHz I built a Atari DIN to VGA switchbox (mono/color).  The pinout going to the Atari mono monitor was different from the one to the color monitor.

Don't have the monitor anymore but I do have the switchbox.  Recently I bought a VGA to HDMI converter that was supposed to work with the Atari signals.  I tried it and it gave a pretty good signal in both Low res color and Med res color.  Surprisingly it didn't want to work with the mono signal.  If I hook the switchbox up to a standard VGA monitor the mono mode works well.  If anyone wants me to I can upload pictures of the screen on my HDTV.  The VGA to HDMI converter was only $15.00.  I'm thinking of building a new cable that is the Atari DIN to a male VGA cable wired for the color mode.  I still have the other half of the cable that I used to make the switchbox.

Will one of the moderators please lock this thread so that others will stop reviving it? I'd really rather this thread just die since the solution that it was originally about was a huge disappointment. I don't want others seeing this thread revived and getting the wrong idea. There really are much better threads for this type of discussion.

Thank you.

• Like 1