IGNORED

Busted Blasteroids

RJ

Hey arcade aficionados, got a sweet score on a Blasteroids a few days back, played fine onsite but monitor has a bad blue transistor...anyway I unloaded it & it worked fine in my garage, then I got it inside & down 12 stairs with a minimum of bumping (I was careful), plugged it in & no dice. Monitor comes on but no display/game screen, & when I jiggle the entire machine (it's on casters) I briefly get some intermittent "garbage"(?) flashing.

Experienced friend of mine is thinking bad power supply, it's a HAPP Power Pro (not original) if that helps. Unsure how to check voltages on it as it has no exterior connections.

TIA!!!!

Edited by RJ

17 hours ago, Machine said:

Is Blasteroids as hard as Asteroids? I have been eyeing Blasteroids as my next arcade. I got a Gravitar and an Original Asteroids(with a Asteroid Deluxe/Lunar Lander mulit-chip). Thinking Blasteroids would fight in nicely.

There are 4 difficulty levels. Everything from beginner, to expert, so lots to master.

The 2 player mode is very cool cooperative modes also.

later

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Blasteroids has raster graphics (rasteroids?) so it wouldn't go with your 2 in that sense. If you want to stay vector I'm thinking Space Duel. 

The boss battle against Mukor (a big green cacodemon-type monster) is relatively easy, just gotta blast his enemy-spewing protuberances- which are mini versions of the game's enemy ships (I think shrunk down to make Mukor look huge). & the gameplay backgrounds are actual NASA photos digitized by ILM. & there are tons of variables, powerups, & enemies- even 4-5 different kinds of asteroids!

What Im doing currently is coining up x5 & seeing how far I can get on that. Once I'm able to best the game on 5 credits, I'll drop down to 4, & so on.

BTW my monitor is experiencing slow horizontal collapse at the bottom 1/3.of the screen :(

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Blasteroids has raster graphics (rasteroids?) so it wouldn't go with your 2 in that sense. If you want to stay vector I'm thinking Space Duel. 

The boss battle against Mukor (a big green cacodemon-type monster) is relatively easy, just gotta blast his enemy-spewing protuberances- which are mini versions of the game's enemy ships (I think shrunk down to make Mukor look huge). & the gameplay backgrounds are actual NASA photos digitized by ILM. & there are tons of variables, powerups, & enemies- even 4-5 different kinds of asteroids!

What Im doing currently is coining up x5 & seeing how far I can get on that. Once I'm able to best the game on 5 credits, I'll drop down to 4, & so on.

BTW my monitor is experiencing slow horizontal collapse at the bottom 1/3.of the screen :(

Good to hear.

Keep up the practice.

I can finish it on easy pretty much all the time, and same with medium:

expert is easier than hard, because of all the power ups.

i can't finish it yet on either one.

i wrote a huge comprehensive FAQ about the game, and will post it here.

gamefaqs wouldn't accept it, because i didn't capitalize my sentences.

i map out every level, power up, and strategy to go through all the levels.

there was one replay on MARP of someone getting through expert mode on 1 credit.

later

• Like 1

Last night starting on Medium (as usual) I got 2-3 sectors in past the 1st Mukor encounter. That's the best I've done yet.

Oh & for Machine debating a purchase, Blasteroids uses a spinner control rather than buttons to rotate the ship. I rarely use transform but I discovered the smallest ship is ideal for blasting the tan geometric faceted asteroids.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...