IGNORED

Joystick adaptor

atari2600land

I was looking through an INTV catalog (Fall 1988) when I came across a joystick that you put onto an Intellivision controller to turn that weird disc thing into a joystick. Does anyone here have one? How does it work okay? I want one. Why didn't they just make it a joystick to begin with?

As for disc replacements, there were other options back in the day.

First, there were a number of knock-offs of the Stickler that replaced the disc.

Second, there were glue-on joysticks.  Most were shaped like a chess pawn.  I think someone in Europe is making modern recreations of these.

Third, there were some foam padded discs you glued onto the existing disc.

Here's a link to the modern 2nd option above, though their WWW site is offline at the moment.

On November 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM, Lathe26 said:

Just so you avoid them, there were complete joystick replacements called the Wico Command Control joysticks.  While Wico did a good job on their Atari joysticks, they messed up on the Intellivision and ColecoVision joysticks.

I have the wilco sticks for both my intv2 and colecovision. Only difference is the intv plug is on a 90 degree angle.    Both suck

On 11/12/2019 at 4:57 PM, intvsteve said:

I think the INTV ones were odd contraptions with a suction cup, some foam, and a frame that slid over the original controller or something. Some had the INTV logo on the top, others a starburst or something. I think they looked like this:

2-intellivision-game-system-attachible-j

I'm not sure anyone has figured out how to successfully use these things. I have a pair and I can't figure it out. They just sit loosely over the disk and the bottom edges just go under the case by a hair and come off with any stress on the joystick.

The there are the adhesive chess pawns that I think you must have to Krazy Glue in place because the adhesive they come with does not stick very well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Swami said:

I'm not sure anyone has figured out how to successfully use these things. I have a pair and I can't figure it out. They just sit loosely over the disk and the bottom edges just go under the case by a hair and come off with any stress on the joystick.

The there are the adhesive chess pawns that I think you must have to Krazy Glue in place because the adhesive they come with does not stick very well.

There are supposed to be little plastic flanges on the add-ons that protrude to be under the bottom of the controller.  This is intended to keep them snapped onto the controllers.  Unfortunately, these often are broken off by the time a collector buys the add-ons so the add-ons don't stay in place.  ?

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Do people generally like these things better than the plain disc?

I would say no, generally most people into the Intellivision prefer the disc. But the sticks might be nice at first for people just getting into the system or that play a lot of the arcade ports. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Do people generally like these things better than the plain disc? I really like The standard disc as is; it's the action buttons on the side that bug me. Much more difficult to fix those...

18 hours ago, save2600 said:

I would say no, generally most people into the Intellivision prefer the disc. But the sticks might be nice at first for people just getting into the system or that play a lot of the arcade ports. 

Personally, I think it's how you have to hold the controller in relation to the side buttons and twisting of both wrist. Having the an more ergonomic top makes the side buttons easier to press and different ways to hold the controller you can add more effective force to the side buttons. That said I do believe that some game DO play better with the disc than a Joystick on top.

Edited by skaredmask