IGNORED

Best Atari 8-Bit Emulator for Linux?

Tempest

On 1/10/2021 at 8:21 PM, Mazzspeed said:

Atari800 works great here. It's easy to install from the official universe repo (sudo apt install atari800) and pressing F1 brings up the menu. Furthermore, the version from the repo is the latest 4.1.0.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 14.57.05.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Can I ask, did you compile the latest version 4.2.0? If so, how did you do it?

I admit, I haven't looked right into it, but I couldn't fine any ./configure or similar bash script to install the software.

Here you are:

https://github.com/atari800/atari800/blob/master/DOC/INSTALL

Start with line 62 ;)

Edited by MrFSL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I admit, I haven't looked right into it, but I couldn't fine any ./configure or similar bash script to install the software.

I believe atari800 uses a configure script.   It's usually a straightforward compilation for me.

There's a chance if you downloaded the latest code out of git rather than downloading the 4.2.0.tar.gz that you will have to generate a configure script with autoconf,  but if you downloaded the the 4.2.0.tar.gz, it should be there.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I believe atari800 uses a configure script.   It's usually a straightforward compilation for me.

There's a chance if you downloaded the latest code out of git rather than downloading the 4.2.0.tar.gz that you will have to generate a configure script with autoconf,  but if you downloaded the the 4.2.0.tar.gz, it should be there.

I downloaded the tarball, there wasn't a configure script there. I'll try autoconf.

Just now, Mazzspeed said:

I downloaded the tarball, there wasn't a configure script there. I'll try autoconf.

I just downloaded it, and I see a configure script (see below)  Did you download atari800-4.2.0-src.tgz or something else?

/atari800-4.2.0$ ls
COPYING      Makefile.in  act            config.guess  configure.ac  depcomp     missing
DOC          README.TXT   atari800.spec  config.sub    data          install-sh  src
Makefile.am  aclocal.m4   compile        configure     debian        m4          util

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I just downloaded it, and I see a configure script (see below)  Did you download atari800-4.2.0-src.tgz or something else?

/atari800-4.2.0$ ls
COPYING      Makefile.in  act            config.guess  configure.ac  depcomp     missing
DOC          README.TXT   atari800.spec  config.sub    data          install-sh  src
Makefile.am  aclocal.m4   compile        configure     debian        m4          util

Hell, now I don't know what I downloaded, I just know it was off the GitHub page.

Having said that, I updated autoconf, ran autogen.sh, then ran ./configure > make > make install and I believe the software is installed as when I enter atari800 in a terminal window the window goes blank - So something is running. If I hit ctrl+c I get a number of errors in the window, it looks like the emulator is looking for ROM's.

I'll see if I can find the needed ROMS, place them where needed and see if I can get this running...

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

I'll see if I can find the needed ROMS, place them where needed and see if I can get this running...

Um... 

Here you are:

Start with line 12 this time.

I usually don't like answers that say read the manual but... seriously, read the manual.

16 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Um... 

Here you are:

Start with line 12 this time.

I usually don't like answers that say read the manual but... seriously, read the manual.

I was planning on reading the manual in relation to the ROMs, I missed the part regarding the ./configure script in the docs where the script isn't present as I was just expecting it to be there. As soon as I've finished my work for the day I'll read the manual in relation to the ROMs.

It was no more than a comment in passing.

Edited by Mazzspeed

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

Hell, now I don't know what I downloaded, I just know it was off the GitHub page.

Having said that, I updated autoconf, ran autogen.sh, then ran ./configure > make > make install and I believe the software is installed as when I enter atari800 in a terminal window the window goes blank - So something is running. If I hit ctrl+c I get a number of errors in the window, it looks like the emulator is looking for ROM's.

Yeah, I think a lot of times in general(not atari800 specifically) when I just grab the master which is usually the latest sources, there will be a missing configure script. If there are no instructions or I feel like NRTFM I follow these, and no big deal if I don't like how things went I can just clean everything and try something else:

if there is an autogen.sh run that
ls autogen.sh
./autogen.sh

If not do this:

autoreconf

If errors
autoreconf -i

Edited by invisible kid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, invisible kid said:

Yeah, I think a lot of times in general(not atari800 specifically) when I just grab the master which is usually the latest sources, there will be a missing configure script. If there are no instructions or I feel like NRTFM I follow these, and no big deal if I don't like how things went I can just clean everything and try something else:

if there is an autogen.sh run that
ls autogen.sh
./autogen.sh

If not do this:

autoreconf

If errors
autoreconf -i

Good tips!

Cheers my Friend.

16 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

maybe you got a nightly or something?    A lot of times they don't bother to generate the configure script for those.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, Mazzspeed said:

Download the latest release from the github repo https://github.com/atari800/atari800/releases

Unzip it

open a terminal and cd to the atari800-master folder

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

./configure --help will list all the flags you can play with before compiling.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Download the latest release from the github repo https://github.com/atari800/atari800/releases

Unzip it

open a terminal and cd to the atari800-master folder

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

./configure --help will list all the flags you can play with before compiling.

A useful one if you want to control where it installs is ./configure --prefex=<install directory>   

By default it probably installs to /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/share

My preference is to install it with something like ./configure --prefix=/opt2/atari800-4.2.0  so that I can potentially run multiple versions without conflicting with each other,  and easily clean them when I don't want them anymore

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zzip said:

A useful one if you want to control where it installs is ./configure --prefex=<install directory>   

By default it probably installs to /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/share

My preference is to install it with something like ./configure --prefix=/opt2/atari800-4.2.0  so that I can potentially run multiple versions without conflicting with each other,  and easily clean them when I don't want them anymore

Now that is a great idea, I'm going to use that.

It's not very often I have to compile from source these days, I am getting a little rusty.

Edited by Mazzspeed

I wonder why compile this release specifically? It has pre-compiled binaries available from the exact same download location.

Now if you are compiling the current MASTER then I COMPLETELY understand as FINALLY there is "support for remapping START, OPTION, RESET, SELECT and EXIT keys." I can't stand the order they are in by default. I greatly prefer F2=Reset, F3=Option, F4=Select,F5=Start,F6=Help/Exit,F7=Break. It has honestly been one of my greatest pet peeves with atari800 forever.

If that is interesting to anybody this was the commit: https://github.com/atari800/atari800/commit/1123bcfdae0969d7e7839b91ce4192d20e892771

Obviously make your adjustments before compiling.

Edited by MrFSL
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

I wonder why compile this release specifically? It has pre-compiled binaries available from the exact same download location.

Now if you are compiling the current MASTER then I COMPLETELY understand as FINALLY there is "support for remapping START, OPTION, RESET, SELECT and EXIT keys." I can't stand the order they are in by default. I greatly prefer F2=Reset, F3=Option, F4=Select,F5=Start,F6=Help/Exit,F7=Break. It has honestly been one of my greatest pet peeves with atari800 forever.

If that is interesting to anybody this was the commit: https://github.com/atari800/atari800/commit/1123bcfdae0969d7e7839b91ce4192d20e892771

Obviously make your adjustments before compiling.

It looks like it adds support to read these mapping from the config file.   See lines 223-242 of that commit,  so you shouldn't have to set them at compile time.

Just now, MrFSL said:

...but I want my sane defaults.

Haha, that's fine.   I used to edit the source to add a key to toggle turbo mode because not every version had a key mapped for that feature. 

But it's cool that it will be configurable soon, even though I'm so used to the defaults, I won't need to.   But it will be nice if it allows remapping of the main keys too, because sometimes they produce a different character than you expected.

1 minute ago, zzip said:

But it will be nice if it allows remapping of the main keys too, because sometimes they produce a different character than you expected.

Amen. --- Making these keys adjustable has been so long overdue. I have toyed around with the idea of building a fake Atari using the atari800 and the new Raspberry PI 400 --- but look at the wonky function keys:

image.thumb.png.7053668af9c83fe5c7addb26d1b26888.png

Here your default turbo key shares F1 for instance.

If I ever do build this thing i would want the Function keys on the top right --- similar to the XE series.

image.png.a52e7e75ee85803204bd645f89b29829.png

So with any luck --- all specially assigned keys would be easily re-mappable. This PI is only one example of a keyboard/computer. Others exist.

2 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Amen. --- Making these keys adjustable has been so long overdue. I have toyed around with the idea of building a fake Atari using the atari800 and the new Raspberry PI 400 --- but look at the wonky function keys:

image.thumb.png.7053668af9c83fe5c7addb26d1b26888.png

Here your default turbo key shares F1 for instance.

So with any luck --- all specially assigned keys would be easily re-mappable. This PI is only one example of a keyboard/computer. Others exist.

I just got a Pi 400 for Christmas.   I didn't even notice the position of F11 and F12--  yuck!    

I guess I could remap it to F10,  I forget what F10 does in atari800, but I don't use it much

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

F10 = screenshot

...sounds like we see a trend developing --- ability to change these keys was long overdue! LOL.

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

I just got a Pi 400 for Christmas. 

Lucky you! I just want to get my hands on one to look it over more than anything. I did get a cheap HDMI to USB capture device which has been wonderful for hooking my Atari up and displaying it on my computer monitor in a window. Ultimately I will use the HDMI toy more than the PI... and it was like $90 cheaper. LOL. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Lucky you! I just want to get my hands on one to look it over more than anything.

It's really nice!  Reminds me of the old 1980's home computers like Atari 600xl, C64 where the keyboard is the computer, compact and very portable.

14 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Ultimately I will use the HDMI toy more than the PI... and it was like $90 cheaper. LOL. 

The PI 400 is only $70 if you just get the computer.   That assumes you already have a USB power supply and micro SD card to use with it.