IGNORED

Best Atari 8-Bit Emulator for Linux?

Tempest

Let me allow to add few words here. I also highly recommend Atari800 for Linux. If you or someone else need step by step tutorial, I can recommend the following film (at the beginning there is short part about River Raid as introduction to Atari world but next you will find good tutorial how to install Atari800 and how to configure under Linux Ubuntu):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrFSL said:

Amen. --- Making these keys adjustable has been so long overdue. I have toyed around with the idea of building a fake Atari using the atari800 and the new Raspberry PI 400 --- but look at the wonky function keys:

image.thumb.png.7053668af9c83fe5c7addb26d1b26888.png

Here your default turbo key shares F1 for instance.

If I ever do build this thing i would want the Function keys on the top right --- similar to the XE series.

image.png.a52e7e75ee85803204bd645f89b29829.png

So with any luck --- all specially assigned keys would be easily re-mappable. This PI is only one example of a keyboard/computer. Others exist.

I think I'm the only one still waiting for my Pi400, I've paid for it, but it seems to be taking a while for stocks to replenish.

I sent a PR this morning to update the button redefinition to include all the F keys, I'll be able to swap Turbo and UI for my Altira compatibility and you can allocate H/S/s/O/R to F8-F12 or whatever it is you need and move those functions to the now unused keys. The keys are stored in the config file by their scancodes so here is a list of all the F Key scancodes

SDLK_F1 = 282,

SDLK_F2 = 283,

SDLK_F3 = 284,

SDLK_F4 = 285,

SDLK_F5 = 286,

SDLK_F6 = 287,

SDLK_F7 = 288,

SDLK_F8 = 289,

SDLK_F9 = 290,

SDLK_F10 = 291,

SDLK_F11 = 292,

SDLK_F12 = 293,

Let's hope they merge the change.

• 2 years later...

I used the following .desktop file for atari800 (installed through dnf with fedora, should work for ubuntu, too!) Works great for me :) I just have this in my ~/.local/share/applications (should work on next bootup if you don't want to run `update-desktop-database`)

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=5.0.0
Name=Atari800
Comment=Atari 8 Bit Computer Emulator (400, 800, XL, XE)
Exec=atari800
Icon=atari2
Terminal=false
Categories=Game,Development,Emulator

Edited by trannus_aran

• 2 weeks later...