IGNORED

Playstation rgb to hdmi for Amiga

Kjmann

I'm really surprised that no one has thought of this. Since the US doesn't have Scart as a standard for our TV's, we have to find a better solution than scart to hdmi. Most scart to hdmi converters has too much lag for gaming. So I started looking at the hyperkin / pound cables for the retro systems and stumbled upon this solution. The Playstation adapter is a perfect fit for the amiga.
Simply cut the Playstation video plug off of the cable and wire in a DB23 plug directly. Works beautifully.
I also wired in a left and right RCA cable to the audio lines in the adapter.

Here is the adapter I used.....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYVF61Y..._8JcZDbZSP810G

Wire colors in this adapter are as follows...
Red wire=red
Blue wire=blue
Green wire=green
Black wire=sync
Brown wire=ground
White wire=left audio
Orange wire=right audio.

Other wires, purple, yellow and grey are not used.

You do not need to attach the ground to the audio RCA jacks.

I will make a YouTube video soon and post it for reference.
Hope this helps some people out. ?

-kjmann

Its a cheap solution, but those Pound and LevelHike (and others like them) introduce lag on their own. They are not simple pass through adapters and they are performing their own upscaling and in an inferior way. RetroRGB covered these on his channel on Youtube as well as some other people and they are really not very good at all.

But, again, good idea if you just want to cheaply get some kind of display to a modern TV and do not care much about the introduced lag. A better way would be to use a real SCART cable and run it to a SCART to component converter (like the RGB2COMP) and have the pure signal go to a line doubler. Or run SCART to an OSSC, or to a Framemeister. 

Bottom like is that you only get what you pay for with video from the Amiga. Go cheap and you get cheap ;)

• Like 1

You may not have noticed lag yet, but rest assured you will ;)

I have been down the road with all of these adapters in the past. The Amiga "converters" you see on ebay are all using similar cheap upscaling solutions such as a Gonbes GBS-8220. Now, that output is a VGA connection, but the board is pretty much doing the same thing as the internal components in say a Pound cable. Taking the RGB image and then upscaling it to 720P or 1080P using the cheapest upscaling hardware possible. There is a reason the cable is $29.99. There is also a reason people spend $100's on something better.