IGNORED

PERIL, game for atari xl/xe (WIP)

vhzc

Hi guys.

In the last year I  have programmed some games for Atari2600 and a couple of months ago I started to learn how to program for A8 in an attempt to port some of those game, one of those games is PERIL https://atariage.com/forums/topic/284157-peril-wip-game/

And I want to share a beta for the XL/XE version.

If someone could test it and give some feedback it would be great.

##########UPDATE Nov 25

New beta:

XEX PERIL-0.4.XEX

ATR PERIL-0.4.ATR

39013237_Capturadepantalla_2019-11-25_01-04-15.thumb.png.a7ce801ace7eedb8e7956650d7102920.png

2008633014_Capturadepantalla_2019-11-25_01-11-22.thumb.png.3dd7ba610d5aa9ad08c18d2d30d94bea.png

####################################

XEX  PERILb2.XEX

ATR PERILb2.ATR

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 16

Nice game, found a little bug.

If you collect the weapon chest then lose all your lives before exiting the room, then on your next game the chest is no longer there.

Also a little complaint.  If you have on/off lasers can you set them to on when you enter the room, the amount of times I died because I forgot the room had on/off laser was extremely frustrating.

24 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Nice game, found a little bug.

If you collect the weapon chest then lose all your lives before exiting the room, then on your next game the chest is no longer there.

Also a little complaint.  If you have on/off lasers can you set them to on when you enter the room, the amount of times I died because I forgot the room had on/off laser was extremely frustrating.

Thanks for your feedback! I will correct that ugly bug and apply your suggestion in the next beta.

3 hours ago, vhzc said:

Hi guys.

In the last year I  have programmed some games for Atari2600 and a couple of months ago I started to learn how to program for A8 in an attempt to port some of those game, one of those games is PERIL https://atariage.com/forums/topic/284157-peril-wip-game/

And I want to share a beta for the XL/XE version.

If someone could test it and give some feedback it would be great.

XEX  PERILb2.XEX

ATR PERILb2.ATR

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68670929506_2019-11-1323_12_39.thumb.jpg.8d13c985d1be7f39b793095d408ee081.jpg

atari006.png.aa120e8a7d3a981d0a02434bb73d7ad3.png

Pretty cool. Is your score based off of how quickly you complete the level? (If so, there should be a timer, if not disregard).

I think an explosion should happen when you crash.

Found another bug.

After killing the eye it reapeared and was unkillable.  I was really close when it exploded so maybe the explosion collision messed things up.

A couple of other touches could be made.

Remove the cursor on the intro sceen, tiny detail but more proffessional.

Instead of showing the user the screen draw between screens, you could draw screen in different memory location and page flip the screen into view.  Or maybe do some kind of custom screen wipe, would be more work but would look cooler.

BTW: what language is this written in?

30 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Found another bug.

After killing the eye it reapeared and was unkillable.  I was really close when it exploded so maybe the explosion collision messed things up.

A couple of other touches could be made.

Remove the cursor on the intro sceen, tiny detail but more proffessional.

Instead of showing the user the screen draw between screens, you could draw screen in different memory location and page flip the screen into view.  Or maybe do some kind of custom screen wipe, would be more work but would look cooler.

BTW: what language is this written in?

I will check that bug too.

The cursor is in fact removed in current development version.  I just made a quick intro for the beta.

About the screen wipe, sure it could be cool, I only have to learn how to do that, as a I said in first post I only have a couple of months of experience programming for atari 8bits.

The game is written in C (cc65) I wanted to learn C so porting my 2600 games was an excellent excuse to start :p

Again, thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibstov said:

Pretty cool. Is your score based off of how quickly you complete the level? (If so, there should be a timer, if not disregard).

I think an explosion should happen when you crash.

Yes, score is based on time, I haven't added the timer because I am still trying to decide some things about it.

Since there is a  screen between death and respawn I thought an explosion was unnecesary, but now I think a little explosion could be added for a nice touch.

Thanks for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@vhzc

wanted to say good work on your new game attemp. nicely done.

as i understand this was written in CC65 - my desired lingo.

some pointers:

1. level loads as if the beam of screen is patinig the screen as the line goes down. if this is as designed - all good. but, if you wish to improve that, shut down the DMA before the code drawing the screen and bring it back on after drawing the screen, it will give the affect of screen appearing immediatly.

2. when you die, all you see is the helicopter and the lives left. too waste of good screen space. there are many graphics people here that can help you design a nice "get ready" screen.

3. When you die you need to press fire button to get pass the "get ready"screen. a nice time like 2-3 seconds can also apply here and switch screens automatically.

4. helicopter is missing its tail. i understand by looking at your player you used 8 pixels wide to draw it. i would suggest to use the 4 missiel to create the tail rotter and even give it some nice color 

5. Is movement done on VBI breaks? i see you progress the helicopter +2/+3 pixels left right to gain a fast movement. this sometimes intefere with the control of the helicopter and make you collide with a wall.

6. I haven't got passed level 2 - i suck at this game :) , but in advanced levels you can make the helicopter move even faster to raise the difficulty of the level.

over all - nicely done. keep up the good work.

can you share a link to source code?

2 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

@vhzc

wanted to say good work on your new game attemp. nicely done.

as i understand this was written in CC65 - my desired lingo.

some pointers:

1. level loads as if the beam of screen is patinig the screen as the line goes down. if this is as designed - all good. but, if you wish to improve that, shut down the DMA before the code drawing the screen and bring it back on after drawing the screen, it will give the affect of screen appearing immediatly.

2. when you die, all you see is the helicopter and the lives left. too waste of good screen space. there are many graphics people here that can help you design a nice "get ready" screen.

3. When you die you need to press fire button to get pass the "get ready"screen. a nice time like 2-3 seconds can also apply here and switch screens automatically.

4. helicopter is missing its tail. i understand by looking at your player you used 8 pixels wide to draw it. i would suggest to use the 4 missiel to create the tail rotter and even give it some nice color 

5. Is movement done on VBI breaks? i see you progress the helicopter +2/+3 pixels left right to gain a fast movement. this sometimes intefere with the control of the helicopter and make you collide with a wall.

6. I haven't got passed level 2 - i suck at this game :) , but in advanced levels you can make the helicopter move even faster to raise the difficulty of the level.

over all - nicely done. keep up the good work.

can you share a link to source code?

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I opted to show the drawing of the screen instead of turn it off, I like the effect of the drawing :)

About make a graphic screen for the dead screen, I know how to make graphics through maping the screen, but since I started to learn C only a couple of months ago I am not very good managing the memory and using big amount to data to make graphics produces garbage in the PM, I don't know why.  I am trying to solve it.

8 hours ago, vhzc said:

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I opted to show the drawing of the screen instead of turn it off, I like the effect of the drawing :)

About make a graphic screen for the dead screen, I know how to make graphics through maping the screen, but since I started to learn C only a couple of months ago I am not very good managing the memory and using big amount to data to make graphics produces garbage in the PM, I don't know why.  I am trying to solve it.

Well, there are some pretty good CC65 developers here including yours truly that can help you, if you wish to share ....

• 1 year later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Peril (8-Bit) on tomorrow's (Fri Aug 13, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

• Peril (2019 WIP | 8-Bit) by Vladimir Zuñiga @vhzc
  • RGB (2015 | 8-Bit) by Marek Pavlík @MaPa (Code and game concept), Zdeněk Eisenhammer (PG) (Ingame visuals, level design, music, sound effects and documentation), Adam Powroźnik (Ooz) (additional graphics and fonts)
  • Bosconian (2020 | 8-Bit) by Janusz Chablowski @shanti77 (Code, Graphics), Krzysztof Ziembik (kaz) (Title Screen Graphics), Michal Szpilowski @miker (Music)

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 1