IGNORED

B.A.S.I.C. Bulletin newsletter disks.

Allan

Here's a few archived disks of B.A.S.I.C. Bulletin newsletter disks. I put them up on Archive.org but are included here as well. Anybody knows anything interesting about these  or has any more of them beyond the Winter, 1985 issue, please let me know.

The Brooklyn Atari Society (B.A.S.I.C.) was founded in May of 1982 by a group of Atari computer users who frequented a local computer store in Brooklyn. One of the sales
people at the store came up with the idea of forming a user group and began to contact all the "regulars". All of us were very enthusiastic about the idea and one of us, who ran a training school for electricians, offered his classroom as a meeting place.

The first meeting of the new group was full of excitement, as the idea of a user group was new to most people at that time. Just the idea of a whole room full of people who were all
interested in Atari computers was something wonderful. The meeting lasted long into the night as we all compared notes and got to know each other. This first meeting led to another and another and soon we were meeting regularly. After a few months we decided to open membership in the group to the public, but since the classroom we were meeting in was a little on the small side, we decided to find another meeting place. Luckily, one of the members belonged to the Knights of Columbus and arranged for us to meet there.

After a meeting there to familiarize ourselves with the facilities, we held our first public meeting. Thanks to the people at the computer store, who publicized the group in the store, there were many new faces at the meeting and the group began to grow. At this time, I was elected to be the first president of the group, a position I continue to hold today (nobody else seems to want to do it!). Unfortunately, after about a year the member who belonged to the Knights of Columbus had to leave the group and we were once again forced to find a new meeting place. This time another member stepped forward and offered use of his company's meeting room and we once again had a new home. At that time we began to consider publishing a newsletter. The major problem with publishing a newsletter at that time was that we had no means of having it printed. Then a couple of members came
up with the idea of publishing the newsletter on disk. Except for one commercial disk magazine, a disk-based user group newsletter was a new idea. Thus "The B.A.S.I.C. Bulletin" was born. The "Bulletin" grew in popularity and our subscription list expanded to include subscribers in several countries and two continents.

B.A.S.I.C._Bulletin_Newsletter.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gury said:

Nice :thumbsup: Never heard of this. I checked some disks and there seem to be various things, from newsletter articles, games and utilities. Thank you!

I had not either. I saw them on eBay and grabbed them. There are only one or mentions of them on the Net. Hopefully that is all of them. They are now preserved for anyone who wants them.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=B.A.S.I.C. atari

• Like 3