IGNORED

NES Top Loader no picture or sound w/ power

shear_xear

Hi everyone, I have a NES 101 “top loader” that is receiving power but absolutely nothing happens when the the system is on.  The system was recapped, and a new power regulator was installed.  It is receiving the power, and I attached a LED at the switch and that lights up (9v at the switch).  I even attached a composite video circuit and ran sound out through a composite jack and got nothing.  The PPU and CPU do not seem to be getting power.  The board looks super clean and I don’t see any broken traces.  Anyone have any idea where the fault might be?  Thanks!

Edited by shear_xear

I don't know anout the NES Top Loader, but I would look after the switch. I think the NES use a very classic 7805 voltage regulator.

And it tend to die over time.

It's a chip that looks like this :

lm7805-voltage-regulator-ic-dip-500x500.

It's a very common cause of "doesn't work" and since it's located usually after the power switch, people liek you can measure 9 volts at the switch, or can even get a power LED on.

7 hours ago, shear_xear said:

Hi everyone, I have a NES 101 “top loader” that is receiving power but absolutely nothing happens when the the system is on.  The system was recapped, and a new power regulator was installed.  It is receiving the power, and I attached a LED at the switch and that lights up (9v at the switch).  I even attached a composite video circuit and ran sound out through a composite jack and got nothing.  The PPU and CPU do not seem to be getting power.  The board looks super clean and I don’t see any broken traces.  Anyone have any idea where the fault might be?  Thanks!

You should probably rewire your power LED so that it gets 5V instead of the incoming 9V rail, you can’t tell if the console is actually getting 5V or not with how it’s wired up currently.

Have you checked to make sure you’re getting 5V throughout the console?

Yes it should. If you have a working regulator (you could wire the input and ground and see if you get 5 volts) then there is a fault on the NES board itself. My best guess would be a broken ground, if you don't even get 5 volts at the regulator output itself.

Edited by CatPix

You need get a multimeter and set it continuity mode. Check that the Negative input from where the power plugs in, is making contact with the middle via for the voltage regulator. That is the ground. Also check for continuity from that center pin for the VR to other ground points along the board to check if the ground is broken in some way. If you aren't getting a beep to indicate a good connection then:

You would just need to wire the center pin of the VR to another ground location on the board. On most PCBs then and now, there is usually a large ground plane all around the outer edge of the PCB. But if you have put in two VRs and both receive 9v on the input and nothing on the output, then you either have the ground via not making contact with the rest of the ground plane, or you are installing the VR in backwards though that last one isn't as likely since you usually have a heatsink next to them that you have to bolt them to flat.