IGNORED

Toy Shock Taiyo 12-in-1 three quarter scale hybrid home pinball machine with Haunted House, Black Hole, and more, now available for pre-order!

Bill Loguidice

10 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

They need to just go ahead and bite the bullet...make a mini combo arcade/pinball machine like the ones on Alibaba (They're great, though 10x the cost of this thing once you import one). Seems like a natural to me, that they could make an Arcade 1up/Taiyo frankenstein on the cheap-ish:

Agreed, quite logical. Let's see what happens at CES/next year.

4 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

They need to just go ahead and bite the bullet...make a mini combo arcade/pinball machine like the ones on Alibaba (They're great, though 10x the cost of this thing once you import one). Seems like a natural to me, that they could make an Arcade 1up/Taiyo frankenstein on the cheap-ish:

image.thumb.png.c3861b1d2d5751deb9cad932be88d1a9.png

why, there are already kits out there that meet those price points, and you customize it yourself.

unless they get a break on the cost, there's not much of market once the price point starts going up.

if you're spending a grand on it, you're not looking at these type of options anyways.

they might add a feature here and there, as they stated in future versions, but making them

bigger, and adding bigger screens is too much of a cost increase for casual people.

playing videogames on a pinball machine looks ridiculous, and is a terrible way to play them.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, negative1 said:

why, there are already kits out there that meet those price points, and you customize it yourself.

unless they get a break on the cost, there's not much of market once the price point starts going up.

if you're spending a grand on it, you're not looking at these type of options anyways.

they might add a feature here and there, as they stated in future versions, but making them

bigger, and adding bigger screens is too much of a cost increase for casual people.

playing videogames on a pinball machine looks ridiculous, and is a terrible way to play them.

later

Just like it was done in home arcades it can be done here too. If the rumors are true, there should be several new options quite soon.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, negative1 said:

later

Truth be told, playing video games on a cocktail cabinet is even worse. If anything, playing them in a pinball cabinet is a step up ergonomically over a cocktail. And you would have both screen orientations available. But that image up there is just one option available via alibaba and their other options are more standard pinball form factors without the additional video game controls.

I'd never really looked into the alibaba pinball machines before, but I'm assuming if they contain hundreds or thousands of games, they're unlicensed.

The Toyshock table is really tempting for me, but it sounds prudent to wait a few weeks and see what might be shown at CES.

I quickly priced out what I could put together starting with an $899 kit for a full size, two screen setup with a DMD and I came up with a little less than $1600 - not including the PC or the software.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, negative1 said:

later

What "kits" have videogames and pinball for a similar price?

There is no "grand" option for e-pinabll that I know of unless you really build yourself, Pre-taiyo that is.

On mine the 4:3 games play on the backglass...unless they game is vertical...in which case it plays properly on the pinball screen. It's actually totally awesome as it keeps games OAR. It's a great way to play them (and mine uses actual LG TVs...far better than the monitors in A1Us).

I'd think adding videogames to a pinball table is pretty cheap once you've already built it. Licence+cpu guts+controls. AtGames can't frankenstein this? I bet they can. Also..this is basically an entirely new market thanks to A1U and Taiyo. It may crash eventually, but these machines have kind of changed the whole "market". I don't think thing sthat came before like the Midway 12-in-1 or Chicago Arcade multis mean much any more. Game has changed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Truth be told, playing video games on a cocktail cabinet is even worse. If anything, playing them in a pinball cabinet is a step up ergonomically over a cocktail. And you would have both screen orientations available. But that image up there is just one option available via alibaba and their other options are more standard pinball form factors without the additional video game controls.

I'd never really looked into the alibaba pinball machines before, but I'm assuming if they contain hundreds or thousands of games, they're unlicensed.

The Toyshock table is really tempting for me, but it sounds prudent to wait a few weeks and see what might be shown at CES.

I quickly priced out what I could put together starting with an $899 kit for a full size, two screen setup with a DMD and I came up with a little less than $1600 - not including the PC or the software.

Completely

and it's amazing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

What "kits" have videogames and pinball for a similar price?

I haven't seen any, but then I never really thought to look for one before! The only kits I've looked at have been based on a pinball-only design.

What is the real price of the alibaba unit, including shipping, if you don't mind sharing?

Turning back to building your own, or building with a kit... it seems to me the DMD is disproportionately expensive. I'd consider using a vertically-mounted screen for the backglass and have a virtual DMD display on that along with the artwork. But I haven't looked into whether that's already something that people do/the software makes possible.

3 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I haven't seen any, but then I never really thought to look for one before! The only kits I've looked at have been based on a pinball-only design.

What is the real price of the alibaba unit, including shipping, if you don't mind sharing?

Turning back to building your own, or building with a kit... it seems to me the DMD is disproportionately expensive. I'd consider using a vertically-mounted screen for the backglass and have a virtual DMD display on that along with the artwork. But I haven't looked into whether that's already something that people do/the software makes possible.

It was fairly brutal... I got the machine with an upsized TV for the pinball field (so it fills the entire pinball area rather than leaving black bars on side)....it was about 2 grand with shipping, and then import fees nearly doubled that.

I had never imported anything this large and it was a real headache. You need to hire an import agent, the sellers in China seem to always want you to use their guys (though they were very polite when I said I would find my own). Once I found my own importer (I deal with a lot of US freight so had some contacts) they worked with the Alibaba sellers' importer. it was a PAIN. And it took 3+ months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

modded, but still not sure if its worth it:

I think if we're looking at it from a bang-for-your-buck perspective, what he's done is probably not worth it... first of all, he mentions that a lot of the gear he's installing, he just already had laying around. Well, obviously I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't have unused monitors or a spare computer already, so I'd be looking at those as additional expenses. So what he's really using from the Toy"Shark?" is essentially just the cabinet. If I'm going to make those purchases anyway, I'd probably spring for a nicer pinball cabinet kit at that point.

However, from the point of view of having fun tinkering and modifying something for pure enjoyment, I think, why not? It's a cool learning process for sure and he's ending up with something unique. It is heartening that he mentions that learning the software wasn't as hard as he initially imagined it would be.

5 hours ago, mattbuc16 said:

I picked one up and am rather enjoying it!  Flipper lag is nowhere near as bad as some might lead you to believe.  I'm not a huge pin guy ... but I really dig this.

Lag is the kind of thing that some people are more sensitive to than others. There are probably lots of factors there, including personal reaction time. With that said, there's obviously lag here, but it can at least be worked around in this case because of the nature of pinball.

3 hours ago, JBerel said:

I saw this as well, and I'd go for it if it were available at a decent price domestically. If anybody knows of a precut cabinet kit of this, let me know. The combo aspect is a plus in my book, but the side art could be a lot better.

image.png.4010c5e22b8f81d65dd9d6c120b3dfba.png

GRS has one:

$750

https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/40-vitural-pinball-cabinet/

later

12 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Before paying that kind of money for a shell, I would definitely recommend waiting to see the 2020 home pinball releases first. 

18 hours ago, negative1 said:

a rebuild of the toy shock pinball to T2:

later

He says it came to about $1000... but he also mentions several components that he already had laying around, so I don't think it was actually that inexpensive. Looks really fantastic, though!

19 minutes ago, negative1 said:

more rumored Arcade 1up star wars pinball $500-$700 at CES:

later

Not a rumor. That one is accurate and happening. The only thing speculative is the price at this point. They did some things better than ToyShock there, like haptic feedback and wifi, but other things are a bit questionable like the lack of a plunger. It's good to see another entry into the pinball scene. More competition is good. It's going to be a crazy year in 2020 in that space once all the dust settles.

• Like 2