IGNORED

New COLOR line games

128Kgames

Ed and Grazi the new Front Line game just announced will it support the Super Action controller like the old Coleco release?

Thanks!

Hi. No, it uses the standard controller. SAC are scarce and too unreliable. I had a pair out of box and they didn’t work well, so I didn’t think it is worth the effort to support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, opcode said:

Hi. No, it uses the standard controller. SAC are scarce and too unreliable. I had a pair out of box and they didn’t work well, so I didn’t think it is worth the effort to support it.

Care to share the controller layout, then, or will it be as with Front Line SCE?

That's a bit disappointing. While they may be considered unreliable, I don't think they are that unreliable. I still have my childhood SACs. A quick spray or two of Deoxit in the buttons probably 5 or 6 years ago and they were working as good as new. And I had to do the same thing to pretty much all my standard controllers too.

it would have been nice if it was at least an option to use either or controller. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

it would have been nice if it was at least an option to use either or controller. 

Eduardo has Front Line been finalized?  I'm with nick3092- the option to control with standard or super action controller would be tight.  With your port and those options this would be the de facto version of the game for the Coleco.

Eduardo has Front Line been finalized?  I'm with nick3092- the option to control with standard or super action controller would be tight.  With your port and those options this would be the de facto version of the game for the Coleco.

Let me evaluate during the weekend. No promises though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I've got to agree with the guys regarding SAC support.  I have refurbished a few sets of SAC and they work perfectly.

Tell me how you want the new scheme to work and I will see if it can be done at a reasonable timeframe.

Could it replicate the original SAC:
YELLOW - fire
ORANGE - rotate weapon clockwise, brief press 1 position 
PURPLE - " counter-clockwise "
BLUE - throws grenade, jump in/out of tank

Ok. Let me see what can be done

• Like 1

I would love it if it could make use of both controller ports so I could easily make an Experience Controller using the proper arcade controls:

ogjset.jpg

This seems to make more sense to me than using buttons to aim. Buttons are slow and confusing.

• Like 2

So the original control scheme was this:

shmCva.jpg

8-way joystick on the left - for player movement

8-position rotary knob on right for aiming gun, which also pressed downward to fire gun

1 Grenade & Enter/Exit Tank Button

The rotary knob has 4 microswitches underneath for rotation (plus a 5th for fire).  The cam on the bottom of the shaft can contact only 1 or 2 switches at a time.  So basically the original arcade I/O board would read what contact(s) is(are) made, then which one(s) is(are) contacted next to determine which way to rotate.  So if it saw that only the North switch was made, then it saw North & West next, it rotated your aiming 45 degrees counter-clockwise.  If after North & West, then it only saw West, rotate 45 degrees more counter-clockwise.  Seemingly this could be programmed similarly to the controller 2 port for this "control scheme".

I've already been looking into making this Experience Controller, and with the current SAC control scheme, I'll need to use a programmable controller (Arduino or similar) to convert the original controller signals to pulse Orange or Purple SAC button presses.  If you could "simply" program the game to allow for the use of this controller...that would be awesome!  ?

1 hour ago, opcode said:

This seems to make more sense to me than using buttons to aim. Buttons are slow and confusing.

Not if you were used to playing the original version with SAC. It became second nature once you played it a few times.

Like I said, ideally you could select when starting the game if you wanted to play SAC or SCE style. And if there is a way to also include a spinner of some kind on port 2, great.

9 hours ago, opcode said:

Something is screwed with gmail. Your newsletter went into my "Important" folder but not my general inbox. I didn't think they would be in the "Important" without being in the general "Inbox". Something for others to check who didn't get it: weird folders you wouldn't expect.

9 hours ago, nick3092 said:

Not if you were used to playing the original version with SAC. It became second nature once you played it a few times.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Replicate the original Coleco game's SAC control scheme.  It really does work well once you get used to it after only a few games.

12 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Could it replicate the original SAC:

YELLOW - fire

ORANGE - rotate weapon clockwise, brief press 1 position 

PURPLE - " counter-clockwise "

BLUE - throws grenade, jump in/out of tank

Yes - this ?

This also has the advantage of then working with those who use third-party modded controllers with buttons mapped to the SACs extra buttons, such as the Atari Jaguar controller that doubledown shows above.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 10:05 PM, doubledown said:

I would love it if it could make use of both controller ports so I could easily make an Experience Controller using the proper arcade controls:

ogjset.jpg

I love this idea, I am all about more controller options to allow tinkerers the ability to make add ons and special controllers.

So I simply received an e-mail titled "Front Line/Elevator Action - Payment info"

which listed the game prices (plus shipping if applicable) and the PayPal account for payment.  So I just sent the payment with a note listing the games I wanted and my shipping address.  Was this correct or was I supposed to wait for a "formal invoice" or something?

6 minutes ago, doubledown said:

So I simply received an e-mail titled "Front Line/Elevator Action - Payment info"

which listed the game prices (plus shipping if applicable) and the PayPal account for payment.  So I just sent the payment with a note listing the games I wanted and my shipping address.  Was this correct or was I supposed to wait for a "formal invoice" or something?

That is correct.