jwild

Help copying file from TIPI to PEB DSK1

Dsk.name.xx search works fine just need a map to the folder name so if DSK2 is mapped to TIPI.MPLAN DSK.MPLAN.XXX should work

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Dsk.name.xx search works fine just need a map to the folder name so if DSK2 is mapped to TIPI.MPLAN DSK.MPLAN.XXX should work

Okay, will try that!

On 5/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, arcadeshopper said:

Thanks. That worked!  Mapped in TIPI.  DSK1. To directory called TIMP, thus DSK1.TIMP and TIPI at CRU >1000 plus was using the 80 column version and came up with FPGA. 

• Like 1

It seems that copying Dis/Fix 128 is not working (I think I read somewhere that large files could not be copied)

is that correct ?

Also it seems I cannot copy with DM2Kv2.6 from DSK0.subdirectories (but I can list them)

should this supposed to work to copy from DSK0.   (or only from DSK1.   DSK2.   DSK3.   DSK4.)

The only supported tool to copy files to or from TIPI hosted devices on the 4A is ForceCommand. 

It is too burdensome to enumerate the ways in which DM2K doesn't work for a device it was not written for. TIPI does not emulate floppies, even with DSK mapping. File copying on the 4A requires hardcoded special casing for each and every type of storage device as a general rule.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, globeron said:

It seems that copying Dis/Fix 128 is not working (I think I read somewhere that large files could not be copied)

is that correct ?

What is large? Example please! 

TIPI should be able to handle individual files upto 16meg I think. I didn't test the limit though. I have copied the Geneve SYSTEM/SYS file with ForceCommand from TIPI to SCSI on a 4A.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, jedimatt42 said:

TIPI should be able to handle individual files upto 16meg I think. I didn't test the limit though. I have copied the Geneve SYSTEM/SYS file with ForceCommand from TIPI to SCSI on a 4A.

(Sorry maybe not large in filesize) but I am unable to copy the DIS/FIX 128 files like DU2K, DU2L, etc. while the rest I could copy of the TIPI to disk.

This video in the beginning is showing that I cannot read these files (also not with DM2K tool nor ForceCMD).

On 5/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, jedimatt42 said:

(Sorry maybe not large in filesize) but I am unable to copy the DIS/FIX 128 files like DU2K, DU2L, etc. while the rest I could copy of the TIPI to disk.

This video in the beginning is showing that I cannot read these files (also not with DM2K tool nor ForceCMD).

• Like 1

If a file is showing up df128 it's likely not tifiles and needs to be converted to tifiles in the web interface or with tidir

2 hours ago, globeron said:

DU2K and DU2L should be PROGRAM files..  so, yep, what ArcadeShopper said...  probably a v9t9 fiad instead.. use the web-ui to convert the selected file... The web ui will also show a ? icon instead of a TI-LOGO icon if the file is not TIFILES.

TIPI allows record reading of foreign files, but not low level block reading... foreign files show up a DISPLAY FIXED 128, as that appears to the standard choice by which foreign pictures and SID files are transferred to TI filesystems. 

When using Ti99Dir to extract files from a DISK image, or ARC file, to a PC drive, it will create v9t9 type files. But you can select them, and use the command menu to convert them to TIFILES right there when you extract. 

If you have a TIPI you should get in the habit of trying to make sure all your FIADs are TIFILES type.

• Like 1

The TIPI doesn't have DSK5 or DSK6, so it should not be interfering in any way with access to your ram disk. I don't know why that is failing for you. 

Seems like your ram disk has its own issues. 

Posted (edited)

The latest versions of TIDir automatically add a TIFILES header when you extract files from a .dsk file. It seems that TIPI has a string of incompatibilities with legacy TI hardware. It was not designed, apparently, to be 100% compatible with existing TI gear. That being said, it does have a place in the "scheme of things" for the TI.

Edited by atrax27407

The latest versions of TIDir automatically add a TIFILES header when you extract files from a .dsk file. It seems that TIPI has a string of incompatibilities with legacy TI hardware. It was not designed, apparently, to be 100% compatible with existing TI gear. That being said, it does have a place in the "scheme of things" for the TI.

Actually TIPI was designed to be 100% compatible with the spec it's the other hardware that is not compatible with the spec

It might be the brightest, most shiny "car in the garage" but it is not necessarily the best if you are interested in a traditional TI system. Caveat emptor!

At one point in time I was considering a hard drive and even a RAM disk, but for me, after the TIPI and FinalGROM both came out costing way less than either of the legacy solutions, and considering how fast both of those devices load stuff, I could no longer justify either of the older solutions.

• Like 1

The community had the same problems with the Myarc cards, and the SCSI controller, and the IDE controller when they came out... old software that went too low level, didn't work, because at the low level there is no machine discover-able standard. 

Disk Manager from Texas Instruments didn't completely work with those new fangled DSDD floppy controllers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

DU2K and DU2L should be PROGRAM files..  so, yep, what ArcadeShopper said...  probably a v9t9 fiad instead.. use the web-ui to convert the selected file... The web ui will also show a ? icon instead of a TI-LOGO icon if the file is not TIFILES.

TIPI allows record reading of foreign files, but not low level block reading... foreign files show up a DISPLAY FIXED 128, as that appears to the standard choice by which foreign pictures and SID files are transferred to TI filesystems. 

When using Ti99Dir to extract files from a DISK image, or ARC file, to a PC drive, it will create v9t9 type files. But you can select them, and use the command menu to convert them to TIFILES right there when you extract. 

If you have a TIPI you should get in the habit of trying to make sure all your FIADs are TIFILES type.

I was not able to convert to TIFILES in the webinterface of TIPI, but I downloaded them

and converted them in TIDIR (they showed up as v9t9 file format) and became TIFILES

then I uploaded them back again to TIPI (via the webinterface) and I was able to 

copy them with DM2K with ForceCMD it did not work to Horizon (I think I have Horizon Ramcard

issues, but cannot pinpoint yet when the issue happens).

but I could not run the DU2K directly from TIPI nor the DSK, so I think the files are corrupted,

let me test in the weekend again, I have other DU2K files and do the process one more time.

Also I will do my homework to read through all the TIPI updates again on AtariAge to make sure

I asked questions which have not been answered before.  So far I am happy with the TIPI with 

the card in the box, because it is a bit easier to transfer between PC and TI.

(as I used to have TIPI as sidecar and the nanoPEB as sidecar and was transferring files only

via the RS232 interface, it takes 15 min for 720k disks...),  now it is faster (if the ramdisks work properly)

• Like 1

"I was not able to convert to tifiles in the webinterface"   this is vague, did it not work? was there an error? what happened?  

The process is you check the box next to the file and pull down the menu and select convert v9t9 to TIFILES. did you do that?

image.thumb.png.f3551414bcca04138cb97e9650d0090d.png

FYI: I saw the attempt to copy from TIPI to Horizon ROS DSK5. fail, and can confirm that has nothing to do with TIPI, but a problem with ForceCommand.  Sadly, to copy files, you need a 4A program that knows how to read from the source, and write to the destination... DM2K doesn't know how to work with TIPI as either really.. and ForceCommand can't seem to talk to a Horizon Ramdisk...   I'll move the rest of that over to the ForceCommand development thread. 

• Like 1

Update to ForceCommand ver 0.B adds support for Horizon Ramdisk. Find it over in the development forum.... 

I can't test it with a TIPI... but tested it with corcomp and HFDC controllers and HRD all in MAME. 

• Like 5

Tested with TIPI... there is no HRD conflict with TIPI, unless the user creates one.. mind your crubases. Of course the easiest usage is to not have overlapping device names, and a good battery.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, jedimatt42 said:

Tested with TIPI... there is no HRD conflict with TIPI, unless the user creates one.. mind your crubases. Of course the easiest usage is to not have overlapping device names, and a good battery.

Hi @jedimatt42

(I think I have some issues with my HRD3000), but if it is working,

I got it to working now to copy several files easily between TIPI and HRD and/or Floppy Disks.

and with step 9 with the DM2K v2.7 BETA  it works so far I tested with DSK0.(thanks to @F.G. Kaal)

1.       XB Suite v2.7

(with Speech enhancement, saying  #Texas Instruments Home Computer#)

2.       TIPI  DSR CRU  >1000

(and FDC on CRU >1100)

3.       If TIPI has a DSK1. assignment (e.g  to TIPI>DISK>DM2KV27

(but there is not LOAD program on the TIPI)

Then it reverts back to the normal 5.25 diskette FDC DSK1. to load files

(I tested BWG-Floppy Disk Controller DS/DD,

but I can double test with Corcomp Floppy Disk Controller DS/DD and TI Controller DS/SD)

4.       Note: TIPI assignments DSK1.  DSK2. DSK3. DSK4.

If there is no directory assignment on the TIPI, then it reverts back to the normal Disk controller

and is the way to use the normal disk drives  (in TIBAS or EXBAS -- CALL TIPI and remove the directory)

(disk drives with controllers: BWG, CorComp, TI).

I have a 5.25 Floppy Disk Drive on DSK2.   And a 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive on DSK3.

5.       I configured the Horizon RamDisk (with Rambo extension) on DSK5. and DSK6.

6.       I use Disk Manager 1000  (on the XB Suite 2.7) to copy files between the normal Floppy Disk Controller (thus normal disk drives) and the Horizon Ram Disk.

It seems that DM1000 prefers the FDC (on >1100) and not the TIPI (on >1000)

7.       To copy files between TIPI and HRD, I use DM2K (v2.5 on the XB2.7 Suite UberGrom Module)

(or download DM2K v2.6 with some improvements)

Thus copying of (on the TIPI) of DSK1.  DSK2.  DSK3.  DSK4. to HRD (thus TIPI is leading),

but you cannot copy to a Floppy Disk drive as it is either TIPI having DSK1. or FDC having DSK1. depending

on the CRU configuration for the TIPI (>1000 or >1800)

(that problem is solved in step 9, by using DSK0.)

Now with DM2K you can select multiple files and copy disks in 1 go to the HRD (DSK5. DSK6. Or whatever is allocated)

(also note that ForceCMD can be used, but only 1 file at one time, however here you can indicate the DSR number, but it is a slow process to copy a whole disk).

8.       Problem is to copy of the TIPI with DSK0. (and the whole directory behind it)

DM2K (up to v2.6) can show DSK0. Directory like DSK0.DISK.DM2KV27 disks, but they

cannot copy from here.

9.       [BETA version] with DM2K V2.7

Now I can browse through the directory structure of DSK0. Like DSK0.DISK.DM2KV27   DSK0.DISK.MYARC and copy between directories (between DSK0.xxx.xxx)

When TIPI is on >1800, I also can copy from DSK0. to the floppy drives (DSK1. Tested)

It all looks good so far (only tested copy and rename on DSK0.)

Thanks all to look into it and to get the issues solved, I can now easily copy many files (from PC to TIPI to HRD/Floppies) 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 9:17 PM, arcadeshopper said:

"I was not able to convert to tifiles in the webinterface"   this is vague, did it not work? was there an error? what happened?  

The process is you check the box next to the file and pull down the menu and select convert v9t9 to TIFILES. did you do that?

image.thumb.png.f3551414bcca04138cb97e9650d0090d.png

Let me double check it, I got a feeling that the DU (Disk Utilities) was not a good version, will test it again tomorrow.