IGNORED

Idea for Scrapyard Dog ‘hack’: you are the dog and are to resque Louie.

Giles N

There are now many excellent graphical improvement-hacks for many 7800 games.

One thing I would really like is a Scrapyard Dog version, either with

1) choose between Louie or the Dog

2) Just a be the Dog and resque Louie-version

I don’t know if the first option would take much re-programming.

The second option would include:

1) graphics for dog (Scraps/Poohie) in all the frames inwhich the Louie-sprite now has frames

2) a picture of captured Louie at the beginning with text changed from ‘we got the dog’ to ‘we got your owner’

3) Louie bound in chains at the end.

Starting-point for Scraps-graphics would be what we see on the end-screen.

From there, a frames for a moving dog-body would be had to be drawn.

The shade-wearing rats could give an idea to ‘style’

87F05ADF-55C9-439C-80A7-30FD4E592F78.jpeg

14C18B7C-8311-4C82-A3D1-45D8C6042075.jpeg

58B14B3B-4CDD-478F-B96E-68567C394DBE.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Yes.  I did a hack of Scrapyard Dog four or five years ago.  It changed Louie to look more like the Lynx version and tweaked the colors a tad.  I don't know if I ever uploaded it though.

Putting in Scraps would be pretty easy if all the sprites met the current Louie dimensions.  I don't currently have this laptop set up to do any 7800 hacking.  I'm currently away for the holidays and my other laptop is back home.  Prosystem would also need its database updated with the new hacked rom md5 to play properly.  MESS/MAME doesn't care though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Yes.  I did a hack of Scrapyard Dog four or five years ago.  It changed Louie to look more like the Lynx version and tweaked the colors a tad.  I don't know if I ever uploaded it though.

Putting in Scraps would be pretty easy if all the sprites met the current Louie dimensions.  I don't currently have this laptop set up to do any 7800 hacking.  I'm currently away for the holidays and my other laptop is back home.  Prosystem would also need its database updated with the new hacked rom md5 to play properly.  MESS/MAME doesn't care though.

No hurry, just wondered if it would be difficult or easy.

I must have uploaded my old hacks somewhere, because they're in Trebor's homebrew pack.  But, I don't see them in a thread title, (I probably didn't think they were worth a thread or maybe I wanted to do more to it... I know I was going to replace the title screen but haven't gotten around to it).  Anyway, here are 3 versions: one with Louie sprite edits and some colors tweaked, one with unlimited lives done by someone else (sorry I don't remember who, unless I used the MESS cheat file to patch the rom... I know I did that with some games, but I think someone else did this one), and one with the two combined.  I included a text file with the Prosystem.dat additions.  Just copy/paste the content of that file into your own Prosystem.dat (not needed if you use MAME or MESS).

Scrapyard_Dog_Hacks.zip

So if you want to mess around with it yourself, you can see where I edited the rom for Louie.  Or you can wait for me to get around to it later.  :)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I must have uploaded my old hacks somewhere, because they're in Trebor's homebrew pack.  But, I don't see them in a thread title, (I probably didn't think they were worth a thread or maybe I wanted to do more to it... I know I was going to replace the title screen but haven't gotten around to it).  Anyway, here are 3 versions: one with Louie sprite edits and some colors tweaked, one with unlimited lives done by someone else (sorry I don't remember who, unless I used the MESS cheat file to patch the rom... I know I did that with some games, but I think someone else did this one), and one with the two combined.  I included a text file with the Prosystem.dat additions.  Just copy/paste the content of that file into your own Prosystem.dat (not needed if you use MAME or MESS).

Scrapyard_Dog_Hacks.zip 152.33 kB · 2 downloads

So if you want to mess around with it yourself, you can see where I edited the rom for Louie.  Or you can wait for me to get around to it later.  :)

Ahem, ... I think I’ll wait for you to get around to it later, as I may come to alt+delete all of internet by accident.

But thanks, at least now I have opportunity...

Edited by Giles N

On 12/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, KevinMos3 said:

...I must have uploaded my old hacks somewhere, because they're in Trebor's homebrew pack...

...one with unlimited lives done by someone else (sorry I don't remember who, unless I used the MESS cheat file to patch the rom... I know I did that with some games, but I think someone else did this one)...

September 5, 2016...

Check your PM's - I just necro-bumped it ?

The other unlimited lives hack was done by RevEng.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Just tell me when or if you’re interested in doing a Scraps-resquing-Louie-hack!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got this with running, jumping, and throwing so far.  However, there are 5 running frames and only 2 drawn so far, so I just repeated the 2.  There needs to be some more horizontal adjustment with some of the running frames to match head.  I've had to trim down some of the sprites because they are only 12 pixels wide in the run.  If you make the other 3, you might want to keep them at 11 pixels wide to allow for room for the horizontal adjustment that might be needed.  The jump is slightly wider as well as the throw, but both had to be trimmed to fit as well.  There are 2 head frames which are used for running, jumping, and throwing, so I had to do slight adjustments to them to match the heads.

What's missing right now are 3 additional running frames (unless you only want 2), and the sprites of Louie (Scraps) with his back turned to the player as he answer the phone and knocks on doors (there are quite a few as seen below).

ScrapYard_01.thumb.png.4ce9efe8449277d26dfd8d2d9685547d.png

1326223504_ScrapyardKnock-AnswerSprites.png.e3c60fbbe81c5518e377b3b43ba6ab16.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1