IGNORED

Rare Black Case Atari 800 Computer Used In House Home Computer Division HCD

Sugarland

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Black-Case-Atari-800-Computer-Used-In-House-Home-Computer-Division-HCD/123978280457

$999.99 - insane price imo. I see something different (??) on the power supply board through the grille.

This is a very rare Atari 800 with a black plastic top case used at Atari's own Home Computer Division (H.C.D.)
Engineering Lab.  This is NOT a painted case.  The plastic is black all the way through.  Its texture is smooth 
suggesting this is a sample case.  Inside, it is a stand GTIA NTSC 800 with 48K RAM.   The Atari 800 computer
works without the top cartridge cover suggesting that it was was by Atari engineers to easily install and remove cartridges.  
I think this computer was used quite a bit for testing at Atari's Engineering Lab.  The OS and RAM motherboard 
connections feel loose.  A couple time during testing, the computer cam up with continuous beeping.  After a
power down, a quick wiggle of the OS or RAM cards stopped the beeps.  

2085298061_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!.thumb.jpg.bddad9f1d22fa846640fdfce9cab7e37.jpg1244297879_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!2.thumb.jpg.055486c2122cc6b7a52b9f5cd385b6c0.jpg1062709886_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!3.thumb.jpg.c426801999eff6d095a755437b7e5cec.jpg1910669870_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!8.thumb.jpg.11ae40565cbf9a64a43f166eaa119d4b.jpg1711375775_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!7.thumb.jpg.84611f7fea04ad6ddf1d8ac44d96faae.jpg1410260426_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!6.thumb.jpg.bc3f16b39a4e6f9cbdbd5d780a9d78e3.jpg232286455_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!5.thumb.jpg.cf6eefcff4378e153f047abbb3c122b7.jpg658490172_Atari800Engineeringblackmachine!!4.thumb.jpg.20ea3d616dd16565adec5b0fda4d8f62.jpg

Pay double the top mint price for an 800 with a unique black top half of the case..  No thank you.  Interesting though.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, E474 said:

Would it be worth seeing which version of the OS it's got, just in case it's an early version?

Looks like a retail box. Stamp code looks like 10th week of '82 so very likely it has an OS B. 

Were 800 boxes stamped "48K RAM" in March '82? If not then that's an inconsistency.

Asset tag is around the same time as mine . Mine got dated to 1982 by an atari employee. So that should be an indication to age the later serial number also speaks to a much later system. 1982 to 83.  My atari hcd system tag had a system date code 6th week of 1980 but the tag was from 1982. So it's been at atari a long time.   It's an interesting system but I dont think 1000.00 interesting 

• Like 1

Hi,

Was wondering if it was manufactured early in the product lifecycle as I would guess the earliest models would have stayed in Atari, and not been sent out via the retail channels at a later date as they would have been obviously used by then. 

1k$ is a bit pricey, though not if you are Hotblack Desiato, who I can imagine it appealing to.

8 minutes ago, E474 said:

Hi,

Was wondering if it was manufactured early in the product lifecycle as I would guess the earliest models would have stayed in Atari, and not been sent out via the retail channels at a later date as they would have been obviously used by then. 

1k$ is a bit pricey, though not if you are Hotblack Desiato, who I can imagine it appealing to.

The top half of the case does look like a prototype or test run or something along those lines yes, but not the rest of the computer imo.

The dimples are not from someone banging on it, but look to be from the injection mold process. Could be from an injection mold machine that Atari had in house to test their plastics for design/development purposes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sugarland said:

The dimples are not from someone banging on it, but look to be from the injection mold process. Could be from an injection mold machine that Atari had in house to test their plastics for design/development purposes.

Yah the dimples are from the mold, I was joking that it needed a new top from someone getting angry from Defender and breaking the original case...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sugarland said:

The top half of the case does look like a prototype or test run or something along those lines yes, but not the rest of the computer imo.

Ding, ding, ding! It seems that we've got a winner, here...

Seems like a mid-run production unit, based on date and bottom-shelf, box and manuals... But why would it have by (82) a weird-looking black-top case? Was this a one piece unit, or a later re-built / put-together Frankenstein?

I would like to inspect any molded / engraved marks and production signatures underneath the black shelf...

Too much uncertainty for $1,000.00....

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adam242 said:

Somewhere, someone is softly crying over what you did to that 800. I think it looks great!

Aesthetics aside, the paint could be preserving the plastic better than without. Likely slows light, oxygen and other reactives getting to the plastic. 

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2