Lardo Boffin

Atari 800 - SIO2SD not working

Having got a mostly working keyboard I decided to try my SIO2SD (fromhttps://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=58) out and it doesn’t work. 

First question - should it?

If it should where do I start diagnosing the issue? It works fine with my 800XL. 

I have cleaned the connector pins on the 800. 
I have got a pacman cartridge and that runs fine on the 800 so I assume it is mostly working. 

The SD boots up and shows the menu but then dies if you press a key:

B6616A6D-9C99-48D4-8C4D-95267B73B4D3.jpeg

So it probably works then.  What if you mount an ATR and boot that?

Possibly the boot menu for executables you have isn't compatible with the older computer.  Or maybe you don't have enough Ram?

Put Basic in and ? FRE(0) - you should have over 37,000

28 minutes ago, Rybags said:

So it probably works then.  What if you mount an ATR and boot that?

Possibly the boot menu for executables you have isn't compatible with the older computer.  Or maybe you don't have enough Ram?

Put Basic in and ? FRE(0) - you should have over 37,000

Thanks. It says 37902. 

I will need to watch the instruction videos for the SD (no manual) to figure out how to change how it boots. Will do that tonight. 😁

Somewhere in the forum threads there is a topic about a fix for the SIO2SD and the Atari 800.  I will look for it and if found I will put a link here. SIO2SDFIX Under the FILES option.

Edited by Roydea6
found the file @ lotharek site

55 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

Somewhere in the forum threads there is a topic about a fix for the SIO2SD and the Atari 800.  I will look for it and if found I will put a link here. SIO2SDFIX Under the FILES option.

Superb thanks!

IIRC, there are communication speed settings within the SIO2SD options. My 800xl could operate at the faster baud settings, but I had to turn them back to get the SIO2SD to work with my 800. I wonder if it is related to that? 

6 hours ago, gamer-stu said:

IIRC, there are communication speed settings within the SIO2SD options. My 800xl could operate at the faster baud settings, but I had to turn them back to get the SIO2SD to work with my 800. I wonder if it is related to that? 

Thanks. Looking at the website there is sio high speed off and speed settings of 1 to 16 with 6 being default. 
Any idea how to access these settings? I have not played with any of the config settings beyond following the video on line that shows you how to set it to autoboot the loader program. 

11 minutes ago, Lardo Boffin said:

Thanks. Looking at the website there is sio high speed off and speed settings of 1 to 16 with 6 being default. 
Any idea how to access these settings? I have not played with any of the config settings beyond following the video on line that shows you how to set it to autoboot the loader program. 

Try turning TOP DRIVE to OFF.

6 hours ago, Lardo Boffin said:

I access it by holding the SIO2SD shift button down (button 5) when turning on the computer.

FBA9E6FB-7873-46C9-8124-6B320CEF94E5.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks all. It is now largely working!

I bought the card preloaded from Lotharek and pretty much everything loads now apart from the Disc Images \ Alphabetical list. 
As soon as I drill down this far the keyboard stops making the ‘I’ve been pressed’ noise and it soon locks up. 
Might just be a limitation of the 800. When I get chance I will move some of the files up a few levels and see if they work then. 

5AE04899-5A65-4360-B884-099DED50EDB7.jpeg

Edited by Lardo Boffin
Added image
  • Like 3

Glad that you're mostly there! It should work completely on a 48k Atari 800. Did you happen to use the fixed A8 loader linked above? The only problem that I encounter is that "X" doesn't execute an image from the loader like it should. Only the joystick fire button works for me.

2 hours ago, gamer-stu said:

Glad that you're mostly there! It should work completely on a 48k Atari 800. Did you happen to use the fixed A8 loader linked above? The only problem that I encounter is that "X" doesn't execute an image from the loader like it should. Only the joystick fire button works for me.

Yes I used the fixed loader thanks. Will give the joystick a go.