IGNORED

Cartridge Reproductions

toddtmw

OK as long as it's clearly marked as a reproduction (which in case of M.U.L.E. is debatable as the original was disc only).

This is not always the case with such offers.

Repros should be priced accordingly but that's basically up to the buyer. 60 bucks is a bit on the steep side considering an Atarimax cartridge costs 20.

I did not find the "original" Atarimax repros on his site. 

• Like 1

At that price, he's making triple what Atarimax sells them for at the bulk rate.

OK, maybe a little less taking packaging and labour into account but way overpriced IMO.

Realistically, nobody should be selling copyrighted software that they don't have the ownership or rights to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

At that price, he's making triple what Atarimax sells them for at the bulk rate.

OK, maybe a little less taking packaging and labour into account but way overpriced IMO.

Realistically, nobody should be selling copyrighted software that they don't have the ownership or rights to.

Steve’s site is a bit disorganized. Google finds the page but it’s not linked from his main landing page. However, I have ordered from this page three times in the last 4 years with no issue. 

https://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

I can’t speak to MULE or most of the rest, but the OSS language carts are freely distributable at this point I think. The Programming forum has a series of posts by @luckybuck meticulously documenting his efforts to obtain source code and releases of the materials publicly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Totally agree

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, sl0re said:

Don't really mind if the creator doesnt. 

It is good to keep them available.

Well, Steve created these atarimax carts. He sells them for approx. 25 USD, so its not nice to buy them from him and then sell them for 60+ USD at ebay.

But thats good old antiquated capitalism. The new communism is to sell everything (even at a loss) for 1 USD (shipping included), with the goal to ruin all others and the longtime goal to rule the world... (e.g. the amount of money Amazon made in one week of black friday 2019, Alibaba made in less than one hour 2019).

The originators of these A8 products (OSS-Bill Wilkinson, MULE-Dan Bunten) surely do not care, because they are not with us anymore...

• Like 2

I have no issue with this and even applaud it.  If these OSS/ICD cartridges were still being sold (new production), then that would be completely different.  These are some great programming languages (MAC/65 and Action!), so having them available at a reasonable price is a benefit to the community.  I'm guessing BASIC XL/XE won't sell as well since Turbo BASIC is superior.  If I want a more standard BASIC, I'd use Microsoft BASIC.  The supply of original cartridges is too small and they command a premium, but they are so high, many will not buy and never try Action! or MAC/65.  That is not good.  I'm all for protecting an author's right to market and be rewarded for the products, but who is being harmed here?  Like we all don't have 200+ disks full software we didn't pay for.  This is just in cartridge form.  Why is this different?  It's "abandon-ware"  and no one is being denied anything. 

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Perhaps some people don't know that Steve/Classics can pre-load such titles for you and provides a label for no extra cost https://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

So if someone doesn't do their homework and is prepared to pay the $60+ then all fool them.

I posted the same link in post #6 above, over a month ago.

• Like 1

The word is out.  Look at all the OSS / ICD original cartridges on eBay right now.  One side effect of these repos is that the value of the originals has diminished.  Why pay north of $25 when you can order a reproduction?  To collectors, they have an added value, but to anyone just wanting the cartridge for use, it's overkill.  I suppose there are those that have a surplus of original carts now wanting to liquidate their holdings. 

Thank you Steve Tucker for these great reproductions.  I would never spring $120 for a MAC/65 cartridge and now I can try it out for $25.  This is huge for those that want to try Action! or MAC/65 and affords an opportunity that was cost prohibitive to most (including me).  

• Like 2

In my humble opinion, I think that at least it contributes to have a wider supply to choose, and that will mean in a new price on the market. Of course, I think it had to stress that is a reproduction.

Another example, a while ago I wanted to buy a Karateka XEGS cartridge, but in eBay, in my opinion, is way overpriced. Is becaus of that, that I decided to make a XEGS reproduction PCB and have it once for all.