IGNORED

Help with connecting Wii, SCART and OSSC

c0op3r

I finally got back from London and my Wii was waiting for me(US model ordered from ebay), I brought back a Wii SCART cable from the UK with me (not an original as I could not find one of those).  I hook it up to my OSSC and Monitor and I get an all RED screen and the monitor has a real problem displaying the image, loses sync.

Now this is weird as 6 other systems work perfect:

Sega Genesis II w/ Triple Bypass & SCART
Sega Saturn w/ SCART cable

Sega DreamCast w/ SCART

Nintendo Toploader w/ NESRGB nod & SCART

NeoGeo w/ SCART

PCEngine w/ SSD3 & Genesis 2 Din to SCART

all of those work perfect and autoswitch with the Hydra and the OSSC.

The Wii is totally freaked out, I popped open the casing for the SCART cable and the pins are correct according to the diagrams I looked at (no caps in the hood, and the wire is SUPER Thin).  So any ideas on anything to try?  Settings on the OSSC?

Or maybe a suggest for a place to get a known working SCART cable that will work for my setup?

The North American Wii doesn't do RGB SCART. You need North American YPbPr component cables.

When you get the right cable, don't forget to enable 480p in the system settings (And widescreen if you intend to stretch anamorphic widescreen titles to 16:9). The vast majority of Wii games you're likely to want to play can support progressive scan (and 16:9 widescreen), which can be fed to the OSSC and changed to a digital 480p signal output via HDMI.

I'm not sure if any of the line doubling modes of the OSSC work for a 480p input (I believe they don't, unless a firmware revision now allows it), but most HDTV's do a good enough job these days of upscaling 480p so the main advantage of using the OSSC for the Wii is just the conversion of the analog component signal to HDMI for a display that lacks component inputs.

I'm not a OSSC owner just yet, but I've done a fair bit of research and I'm reasonably confident you'll prefer that picture over feeding the OSSC a 480i signal that it then line doubles and applies its "bob deinterlacing" algorithm to. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1