IGNORED

oh boy oh boy the boards are coming!

Mehridian Sanders

I can try.

1) Where's the hot workstation? No sponge, no solder wick, no solder, no noclean flux, no temperature control, nothing!

2) Board on bare plastic table. Silly human, ESD aint just for kicks!

3) Really, didn't your mom tell you not to hold onto the business end of hot tools?

4) You DO know that applying direct heat to a coin cell battery will make it explode, right? That you should remove it from the socket if you are gonna reflow the socket? Right?

5) Why are you using the iron on THAT side of the board? That iron is not the right tool for surface mount work..

6) The side of your iron is laying on the PCI slot.  You know that will damage the slot, right?

(I am sure there are more, but that's just a quickie rundown of the obvious things I see)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Who takes these pictures?  Who does the proofing?  I see at least four things wrong with this photo, there may be more.  Can you find them all?

- Wearing protective glasses (don't know whether this is mandatory for soldering workplaces)

- Missing air ventilation (I'm quite sure this required for professional workplaces here)

- No grounding strap

2 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

Ok I went to Mouser for my parts for the FG99.. the github lists:

1x Atmel ATmega 328P (TQPF-32)

When I look for that the closest I can find for that is :

ATmega3208 (TQFP-32)

Is this the same processor or a child of it's progenitor?

Definitely not the same processor.  328 is used in the Arduino Unos, though typically as a DIP32.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

vs

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

- Wearing protective glasses (don't know whether this is mandatory for soldering workplaces)

I would note that the glasses are yellow tinted, which is typically for outside use.  When soldering, I'd like to the chips unhindered as much as possible.  At least the people in the other pictures are using clear glasses.

Here are results for 328P and 328PB.  PB adds 2-wire capability and a watchdog timer and leaves off the DAC.  AU vs AN is a difference of temperature tolerance.  AN can take up to 105C while AU only handles 85C.  R means that it's packaged as a reel instead of a tray.

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Embedded-Processors-Controllers/Microcontrollers-MCU/8-bit-Microcontrollers-MCU/_/N-a85ik?P=1z0y146&Keyword=atmega328p&FS=True

Edited by ChildOfCv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChildOfCv said:

Here are results for 328P and 328PB.  PB adds 2-wire capability and a watchdog timer and leaves off the DAC.  AU vs AN is a difference of temperature tolerance.  AN can take up to 105C while AU only handles 85C.  R means that it's packaged as a reel instead of a tray.

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Embedded-Processors-Controllers/Microcontrollers-MCU/8-bit-Microcontrollers-MCU/_/N-a85ik?P=1z0y146&Keyword=atmega328p&FS=True

Perfect ... difference in price for 20C extra heat protection is a dime... I think I can spare the dime, and go with the AN, Thank you kindly.

This reminds me of some rumors that NASA uses the movie "Armageddon" for job candidate assessment, who have to name all the factual errors they spot while watching the movie. (I mean, this is not too hard, first time I had pressure marks on my face from repeated facepalming.)

• Like 1