IGNORED

Vaults of Nhyrmeth (was 'dungeon crawler attempt')

clth

Hi,

i've been occasionally working few months on DM styled dungeon crawler. Kind of fed up with it so time to take a break and post results :). There is lot to improve in terms of size and speed but it did come out quite nicely i think.

scrn2.png

scrn1.png

game.obx

Edited by clth
updated program fle
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Looks great! What's becoming a struggle for you?

It is character mode based and there was needed lot of preprocessing of tiles, choosing right view size, scene grid etc for it to look good and still have room for other content than wall tiles. There was already several iterations and every one needed custom fitting which easily becomes chore. Slowly approaching fun part of it i hope :)

Edited by clth
typos

2 minutes ago, David_P said:

Looks really good!  Have you considered using a narrow playfield for the display?  With a display area that's 32 bytes wide, some transformations / calculations might be easier and faster.

Not sure what you mean. It is basically text mode with hardcoded charsets - nothing here to transform/calculate.

7 hours ago, clth said:

Hi,

i've been occasionally working few months on DM styled dungeon crawler. Kind of fed up with it so time to take a break and post results :). There is lot to improve in terms of size and speed but it did come out quite nicely i think.

scrn2.png

scrn1.png

game.obx 19.47 kB · 11 downloads

Looks good !
Please finish it :)

We need more rpgs on atari.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Looks amazing! Btw, if you are curious how Dungeon Master maps and data structures are organized in original game, there is a lot on the DM fan page e.g. http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/217

Btw, the game.obx when executed shows wrongly rendered display for me.

Hi, can you please post screenshot of wrongly rendered screen and/or steps to reproduce? Thanks!

12 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Would it help if you had other contribute maps. Also, does the game have any sort of story?

Yes, there is this possibility but bit too early for that. Also, there is no story - still kinda trying out if i can get features planned done.

9 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

It looks like the players and missiles are available to render content items in addition to wall tiles.

Yep, just not sure how use them. I dont know much about atari hardware but presented width of 8 pixels makes them very limiting and unusable for me.

4 hours ago, ilmenit said:

image.thumb.png.e07ac80e9fd786935d1f7c37476861a5.png

This is how it looks like when executed in Altirra (different settings produce the same results).

Thank you, reproduced just fine. Looks like DLI timing issue, should be fixed in file on first post.

Edited by clth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Looks as a really good start for DM game! What language do you use? The drawing is fast for fluent move but slow enough to require a double buffering. I really like how you organized the graphics to fit the byte boundaries.

It is done in Mad Pascal but except DLI routine there is nothing written in assembler so i believe there is lot of room to improve and make scene drawing almost unnoticeable even without double buffering. What will be bit of a challenge is to get on screen at most 6(2x3) 4-directional enemy sprites.

Edited by clth

12 hours ago, clth said:

It is done in Mad Pascal but except DLI routine there is nothing written in assembler so i believe there is lot of room to improve and make scene drawing almost unnoticeable even without double buffering. What will be bit of a challenge is to get on screen at most 6(2x3) 4-directional enemy sprites.

Is it because of the 128 chars in font set? Don't you use different font sets in different lines, changed in DLI?

For speed up of drawing, if you use multiplication (*40 for screen pos) I recommend a lookup table. In my project written in C for drawing I use:

// mul_lookup40 for mul [0,23]
#define SetChar(x,y,a) video_ptr[(x)+mul_lookup40[(y)]]=(a);

unsigned mul_lookup40[] = {
    0, 40, 80, 120, 160,
    200, 240, 280, 320, 360,
    400, 440, 480, 520, 560,
    600, 640, 680, 720, 760,
    800, 840, 880, 920
};

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Is it because of the 128 chars in font set? Don't you use different font sets in different lines, changed in DLI?

For speed up of drawing, if you use multiplication (*40 for screen pos) I recommend a lookup table. In my project written in C for drawing I use:

// mul_lookup40 for mul [0,23]
#define SetChar(x,y,a) video_ptr[(x)+mul_lookup40[(y)]]=(a);

unsigned mul_lookup40[] = {
    0, 40, 80, 120, 160,
    200, 240, 280, 320, 360,
    400, 440, 480, 520, 560,
    600, 640, 680, 720, 760,
    800, 840, 880, 920
};

Yes, at this moment 7 charsets with varying height and all are already 40-50% full. With 4-directional  9*9 tiles big is impossible to have enemy sprites in charset more than few at once. Only option is to have reserved tiles in charset and and copy to them from normal memory as needed - which could be quite bottleneck. Having various premade tables is definitely way to go, already doing so alot.