IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Making a vertical pass-through version sounds great. I beleive that it easier to access when you want to press a button, an also it requires less clearance behind the computer or other device. The only problem would be to used the FujiNet device in the Lotharek sio splitter. 

Yes, the vertical design solves those issues of being easier to access the buttons and see LED status.

I imagine anyone with lotharek's splitter would have an extra SIO cable and could plug that into the FujiNet receptacle port. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

regarding display, I've seen nodemcu ESP8266 board with 0,96'' (128x64) oled display, connected to GPIOS 4&5 for 15EUR

https://www.gme.sk/nodemcu-esp8266-0-96-oled#product-detail

pctdetail.775-184.1.jpg.fa5cabd1421012a21e5f1aa6f41e0b5f.jpg

2nd idea: configuring/swapping disks on your primary fujinet over wifi  via web or from SECOND FUJINET EQUIPPED ATARI with same configuration tool ?

3rd idea: RTC (real time clock) device emulation, that gets real time from NTP server and then serve it as emulated RTC device.

4th idea: if the board disagn is passthru, probably there is an easy way (one GPIO and 2 transistors???) of cutting the signal(s) to physical D1: drive (receptacle) on demand, on boot we start the emulated d1 drive with loader, and then fujinet can reconfigure itself to D2 if needed and reenable the "passthru" function to the receptacle 

Edited by goldy/gmg aka lopez453
clean up
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Given that these fujinet devices will be very inexpensive, I don't see a solid use case for that.

-Thom

Ha, for some reason I just thought it would be cool, like somehow get MIDI maze going with two teams battling across the world, but I guess if you could just do it over the network. 

I really need to find the time to read through this thread...

16 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Seven of us playing MIDI-Maze at the H.A.T.Z. XIX:

HATZ%20XIX%20Midi%20Maze.JPG

(No, I'm not in the picture)

Sincerely

Mathy

Wouldn't that be sick to get a team deathmatch going across the internet?

Granted, I only have one MIDI box for my 8bits,  but I do have several 8bit computers myself.  Also STs, though I don't know if the game is compatible across the platforms.

3 hours ago, goldy/gmg aka lopez453 said:

3rd idea: RTC (real time clock) device emulation, that gets real time from NTP server and then serve it as emulated RTC device.

On the TODO list already ;) 

3 hours ago, goldy/gmg aka lopez453 said:

4th idea: if the board disagn is passthru, probably there is an easy way (one GPIO and 2 transistors???) of cutting the signal(s) to physical D1: drive (receptacle) on demand, on boot we start the emulated d1 drive with loader, and then fujinet can reconfigure itself to D2 if needed and reenable the "passthru" function to the receptacle 

Interesting idea. You would be cutting off everything else on the SIO bus connected through the receptacle, not just D1.

27 minutes ago, leech said:

Wouldn't that be sick to get a team deathmatch going across the internet?

Granted, I only have one MIDI box for my 8bits,  but I do have several 8bit computers myself.  Also STs, though I don't know if the game is compatible across the platforms.

The game does work between the ST and 8-Bit systems. With FujiNet, you won't need a MIDI Box to play with other 8-Bits. Maybe we could make a MIDI to wifi adapter for the ST so it could be a mixed platform online game :D

One thing I am noticing with BBS testing, is that NMAP port scans will literally send the wifi modem into a state of perpetual connection, because the WifiServer is always showing something connected. I had attempted to implement a bit of recovery logic by slamming the server socket shut and re-opening on ATZ, but I'm wondering if any of the other wifi modems have code to deal with phantom RING issues.

Anyone have an idea?

-Thom

My idea of connecting DTR from the CH340G to pin_CMD didn't seem to work.  Neither Atari++ nor atarixfer seem to recognize it's attached.   atarixfer with fujinet isn't a practical thing to do but atarixfer is the only other linux app I could find that might test a 1050-2-PC device.

-SteveS

5 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

@jeffpiep has successfully generated multi-page printed output from my test file in AtariWriter! (Lots of Lorem Ipsum)

lorem.pdf 33.41 kB · 2 downloads

Wait, are you saying that you are getting network printer support???  And I potentially just spend a ton of money so I could print on an Atari 8bit and watch my lights flicker when I turn that monochrome laser on?  :P

1 minute ago, leech said:

Wait, are you saying that you are getting network printer support???  And I potentially just spend a ton of money so I could print on an Atari 8bit and watch my lights flicker when I turn that monochrome laser on?  :P

The plan is to render emulated printing output to a PDF, which can either be directly fetched, or sent to IPP Everywhere or some form of cloud printing. 

Right now, Atari 1027 printing is being done, but we plan to support the rest of the Atari printers (820, 825, 1020, 1025), as well as Epson FX printing. Any help that can be provided there would be most welcome.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to test.  I've done one print on my 130XE with printshop using the FX one and it didn't quite fit on the page, but it did a better job than my Apple IIGS with the fancy mouse driven version of Printshop.  Though the 130XE took a really long while to process it, I need to try it again with the Rapidus enabled...

I have a colored HP Laserjet that is networked as well as the Samsung ML2571N that people have recommended for the Atari, which is also networkable. 

So I'm guessing some faster buffering would be nice, though I'm betting that's not within the scope of this project.

6 minutes ago, manterola said:

The ram of the module is pretty limited to hold the whole graphics mode page, probably directly drawing/writing to the spiffs line by line would make it...

I wonder if it's the buffering or just the processing of the print job that takes so long.  I'll have to test (may do that tonight, move the Apple IIGS off my test bench for a while, and hook the ICD + Atari 130XE back up).  Most modern printers have their own buffers.  I think most also just support PCL5 / PCL6.  Would be amazing to be able to print color graphics for sure. 

Ha, need something to connect in between to my PC running Linux, so I can tear apart commands or something...

Really looking forward to this.

17 minutes ago, manterola said:

The ram of the module is pretty limited to hold the whole graphics mode page, probably directly drawing/writing to the spiffs line by line would make it...

That is precisely the plan.

It also must be said that the ESP is not using any "libraries" or external programs, or helper web services etc to make this happen. The PDF is being rendered ON THE DEVICE.

Meaning, @jeffpiep and I literally had to learn how to make a PDF _FROM SCRATCH._

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

7 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

That is precisely the plan.

It also must be said that the ESP is not using any "libraries" or external programs, or helper web services etc to make this happen. The PDF is being rendered ON THE DEVICE.

Meaning, @jeffpiep and I literally had to learn how to make a PDF _FROM SCRATCH._

-Thom

But.. that is actually kind of cool that you now know how to do that!  Amazing job, I'd say! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

Ha, need something to connect in between to my PC running Linux, so I can tear apart commands or something...

Really looking forward to this.

I modified sio2linux.c to accept P: data from the Atari computer and store it in a file. There you can see the commands sent. The Print Shop is slow... to much data transmitted.

Details:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, manterola said:

I modified sio2linux.c to accept P: data from the Atari computer and store it in a file. There you can see the commands sent. The Print Shop is slow... to much data transmitted.

Details:

Awesome!  Ah, another reason I should learn to code, I should just make a new Printshop and modernize it... When I tested it before, it definitely was blinking the printer for quite a while before it started to actually print, but being a laser printer, it just printed in no time at all once it was done doing it's thing.