IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Something to note:

Even though I am doing these tests with an R: device, and you can indeed run a BBS with the R: device on #Fujinet...

With the N: device, multiple connections can be supported, as you're dealing with data on a per-packet basis, so writing a BBS that can handle multiple callers at once, to run on an Atari, without an expensive custom MUX setup; only needing a #FujiNet, is actually a plausible reality.

This may be the impetus for somebody to write a better Atari BBS.

-Thom

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

This may be the impetus for somebody to write a better Atari BBS.

I hope this comes to pass.

I was also hoping for better MIDI applications to surface after making the hardware readily available once again at a much cheaper price, and with some cool new features as well (built-in wave table synth support for one). I haven't seen anything yet, but time will tell :) . Really looking forward to rocking out on my Atari using a more modern media player ? .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

I know the #fujinet devs are well past simply loading ATRs but doing this over wifi just makes me so happy!

Multilator-rev2, divisor 0 (~126 kbit/sec) with the help of MyPicoDos406

-SteveS

It makes me happy too. and at divisor 0 too, wow.

*bro-hug*

-Thom

• Like 2

nope.  never have.  been using divisor 0 with mypicodos and SDrive since 2009, and SIO2PC-USB (since 4 years ago?), on each XL and the one 800.  About 8 years ago (best guess) Hias introduced HISIO making divisor 0 possible (on XL/XE) with some DOSes.  Once in a while SIO2PC gets tempermental and I have to go with divisor 1.

-SteveS

p.s. In Multilator-rev2 I set the index to 0x00 and baud rate to 126000 (after trying 128K down to 123K).   I have not tried this on the 800. My rigged cables are a bit flimsy to move to the 800 =:O

[EDIT]

p.p.s. I guess this a good time to mention issues that I have.  I haven't seen anyone else mention them .

- I can't get double density images to work reliablebly  sometimes but mostly not.  Before Multilator-rev2 MyDOS and SpartaDOS DD images would boot most of the time.  Perhaps 80%.  With MyPicoDOS disks three sectors would be read and then just stop.

- with multilator-rev2 behavior changed.  DD MyDOS and SpartaDOS no longer boot.  MyPicoDOS doesn't boot either but I discovered something new.  If I boot a single density MyPicoDOS as D1 and mount DD disks as D2: thru whatever I can access them with some MyPicoDOS controls.

Selecting a drive never works.  I first have to force FORMAT='DD MyDOS' and usually have to disable HSIO. Once I first call up a disk's directory I can renable HSIO.  I can pick drives at will and/or load a file at high speed.  About 1 time in 20 the tail end of a subdirectory listing is scrambled.   that director will never be correct unless I start over, cycle power of the ESP8266 and then the Atari.  

- Something unique to my configuration I think.  It's been true from since the feature has been added.  When network debugging is enabled everything works better for me.  fewer (or no) pauses.  less lag in the host and drive config menus. If I disable debugger I get a lot of hangs, mostly the host gets lost.

That's about it. 

This took me longer to type than I thought it would.  I probably should have created a new post for it.

Edited by a8isa1

Hello guys

Would somebody be willing to tell me what you guys are doing exactly?  I don't seem to get it.  I see picture of a device that plugs into the Atari that has what looks like an antenna.  And I guess it has the chips (ESP) you are mentioning.  Is that all you are using and is this the device you are writing the software that's mentioned in this thread is all running on or is part of the software you guys are working on for a second device that is needed to get the network/internet to fool the Atari into thinking it is working with a 1050/850/1027/etc.?

Sincerely

Mathy

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Would somebody be willing to tell me what you guys are doing exactly?  I don't seem to get it.  I see picture of a device that plugs into the Atari that has what looks like an antenna.  And I guess it has the chips (ESP) you are mentioning.  Is that all you are using and is this the device you are writing the software that's mentioned in this thread is all running on or is part of the software you guys are working on for a second device that is needed to get the network/internet to fool the Atari into thinking it is working with a 1050/850/1027/etc.?

Sincerely

Mathy

Post 1 of this thread should answer your question. The software we are working on runs on the ESP8266 or ESP32 chip and is emulating various SIO devices (and adding new ones). There's some more info in the wiki: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi/wiki

On 1/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, goldy/gmg aka lopez453 said:

3rd idea: RTC (real time clock) device emulation, that gets real time from NTP server and then serve it as emulated RTC device.

I added RTC support via the ApeTime utility in the multilator2modem sketch. Time/Date is downloaded from pool.ntp.org.

IMG_20200118_144030701_1.thumb.jpg.b3ef538590c3cd0fc92aad719a726852.jpg

• Like 5

Hello guys

OK, read your responses and the first message in this thread.  Let me recap, to check if I understood this correctly:

- The only hardware we need is the interface called the FujiNetWifi-adaptor.  It runs all the software you guys mention in this thread.

- The only other Non-Atari thing we need is the internet.  Software like ATR's, etc. don't have to be converted before they can be loaded from the internet.

- The only software we need to run will run on the Atari (terminal software) and on the Wifi interface (the stuff you guys are developing, testing and discussing here).  We do not need to run anything special serverside.

Sincerely

Mathy

19 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

OK, read your responses and the first message in this thread.  Let me recap, to check if I understood this correctly:

- The only hardware we need is the interface called the FujiNetWifi-adaptor.  It runs all the software you guys mention in this thread.

- The only other Non-Atari thing we need is the internet.  Software like ATR's, etc. don't have to be converted before they can be loaded from the internet.

- The only software we need to run will run on the Atari (terminal software) and on the Wifi interface (the stuff you guys are developing, testing and discussing here).  We do not need to run anything special serverside.

Sincerely

Mathy

The only hardware you will need is the FujiNet adapter. FujiNet adapter is running our custom software that emulates SIO devices (disk, modem, printer, etc).

ATR's do not need to be converted. ATR images are loaded from the internet or local network using the TNFS protocol. You will need a computer running TNFS server to read disk images from or use a publicly hosted server (ie, fujinet.online). There is also the option to load ATR's from MicroSD Card.

The FujiNet first loads a configuration program to the Atari where you can connect to wifi and choose which ATR's to mount as disk drives.

Edited by mozzwald
typos
  • Like 1

Hello guys

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

You will need a computer running TNFS server ...

How common are these servers?  As in: Does somebody have to set up a server with the TNFS server protocol on it or are existing servers (that hold stuff the common Atari 8 bit user might be interested in) "automatically" supporting TNFS?

Sincerely

Mathy

It's a technology I borrowed from the ZX Spectrum "SpectraNet" project. and the server can be gotten here:

http://spectrum.alioth.net/doc/index.php/TNFS_server

It's simple enough to set up, only parameter is the root path. It uses UDP port 16384.

Read-only fetching of files and images from HTTP and HTTPS is also planned, but I chose TNFS precisely because it is extremely lightweight and has the functionality needed for both disk-level and file-level sharing.

-Thom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mozzwald said:

I added RTC support via the ApeTime utility in the multilator2modem sketch. Time/Date is downloaded from pool.ntp.org.

That was more than fast. Thank You. Two NodeMCUESP boards are on the way to me. Can't wait to program them and maybe help testing too.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, tschak909 said:

@a8isa1 I made some changes in the latest revs of multilator-rev2, which may help, (I changed how acks/naks are processed). We're still working out SIO timing issues, as well, and will be doing this for some time. Be patient, it'll get better! :)

-Thom

The change has Commando (192K version) loading 3 seconds faster.  I'm now using divisor 0 and baud rate 124,000.

I performed a casual benchmark.  See below.  Quality is terrible. My scan converter and my monitor don't do the Atari any favors. I'm also terrible behind a camera (phone).

-SteveS

• Like 9

20 hours ago, a8isa1 said:

The change has Commando (192K version) loading 3 seconds faster.  I'm now using divisor 0 and baud rate 124,000.

I performed a casual benchmark.  See below.  Quality is terrible. My scan converter and my monitor don't do the Atari any favors. I'm also terrible behind a camera (phone).

-SteveS

The terrible quality of my 1200XL (I really need somebody to help put in the UAV I have in a box here) notwithstanding, I use the following capture device with OBS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y83DXRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Thom