IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

in my humble opinion, absolutely none. It's a power suck, and given how utterly awkward the SDrive-Max is to use, I'm completely turned off on the idea.

-Thom

Oh, I just ordered it because it was 'neat'.  I can always order another one.  Need to find the rest of the parts anyhow, which I may or may not already have.  At least I can 3d print my own SIO connectors, and don't have to butcher an SIO cable...

I am very glad that people are going out and building these things. Build on! Build 'em for your friends!

We will release a completed product eventually, but it's more important to me that this thing get used and in the hands of those who can do neat things with it.

-Thom

• Like 2

@jeffpiep is checking in the now completed Atari 822 printing emulation, which now includes the 240 pixel wide graphics possible with this printer.

The secret? The Atari 822 firmware has an additional write command 'P' which accepts 240 pixels of graphic data per line, 1 bit per pixel, nicely mapping to a graphics 8 display, if flipped on its side, as seen in this test print.

• Like 2

Hi,

Would it be possible to overload the "Next ATR" button functionality, so that if you have defined disk slots, e.g. D1=AA.ATR, D2=AB.ATR, you cycle those ATRs, if you only have slot D1 defined, you cycle to next ATR file in the current directory. Personally I would put all ATRs from a multi disk product in the same directory (and only those ATR's), and only define one disk slot, which I would boot from.

Also, is there any progress on a public design for ESP32 boards that can be sent off and made up (ideally one that doesn't involve the word "eventually").

I agree that the SDrive Max touch screen can be a little fiddly, but I've just asked @kbr if he can replace it with a Next Atr button, and use the SDrive menu program on the Atari for everything else. I think it would be fairly straightforward, but I don't know the electronics to do it, and would need the electronics done before I could hack the SDrive firmware. 

Edited by E474

1 hour ago, E474 said:

Hi,

Would it be possible to overload the "Next ATR" button functionality, so that if you have defined disk slots, e.g. D1=AA.ATR, D2=AB.ATR, you cycle those ATRs, if you only have slot D1 defined, you cycle to next ATR file in the current directory. Personally I would put all ATRs from a multi disk product in the same directory (and only those ATR's), and only define one disk slot, which I would boot from.

Also, is there any progress on a public design for ESP32 boards that can be sent off and made up (ideally one that doesn't involve the word "eventually").

I agree that the SDrive Max touch screen can be a little fiddly, but I've just asked @kbr if he can replace it with a Next Atr button, and use the SDrive menu program on the Atari for everything else. I think it would be fairly straightforward, but I don't know the electronics to do it, and would need the electronics done before I could hack the SDrive firmware. 

It could be possible to overload the single button press, would be interesting for further investigation, as soon as I get some of the other bits of functionality dealt with, I still need to make CONFIG handle more than 16 files, and directories, etc.

As for the board: Paging @mozzwald :)

-Thom

16 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I created an SDRIVE, with no display and only one button, a reset. :)  it loads the menu and I use the keyboard to select a disk image on screen.  If I want to select a different disk image to boot from I reset the arduino so all 4 of my disk selections are dropped and I can reload them :) not sure if this is helpful, but it does seem to work ok :).   

Edited by Waltermixxx

Hi,

@kbr pointed out to me via PM that the micro sd card is on the screen. On the other hand there is a micro-USB connector on the Arduino that I currently use for power, not sure if I could use the barrel connector instead, and connect a USB memory stick using an OTG cable in the microUSB connector?

I think I would wire up 2 buttons:

- reset

- cycle ATR

If I could set everything else up via the 8-bit menu program, I think that would be all you need. You could probably get away with not having a reset button if you powered down each time, but I think there is a reset button on my Arduino anyway. 

Just out of curiosity @Waltermixxx, how do you store ATR images if you don't have a screen with a microSD card on it?

Also, sorry for (slightly) hijacking the fujinet thread.

A reminder, there are two buttons. Currently one is the RESET button, pressing it causes device to reset, which re-mounts CONFIG.

The other is the disk rotate button, which rotates each disk entry into the next contiguous slot, the edge of the rotation is the first found blank slot.

-Thom

2 hours ago, E474 said:

Just out of curiosity @Waltermixxx, how do you store ATR images if you don't have a screen with a microSD card on it?

the SDrive automatically loads the menu program, and the Atari boots to that,  i use the menu program to load all 4 disk drive slots, browsing through the files on the TV/monitor.   Then i press the reset and it boots from the image I selected for Drive 0.    I put the disk images on the SD card from my windows PC,  i load up the sd card, then put it in the headless Sdrive. :)  (I hope I understood the question correctly) Cheers. 

Just a thanks to the guys developing this,  another thing to keep us busy  Cheers guys.

A6F1C799-B29C-4967-B383-FE650FA067FF.jpeg

7C597CAD-1BD1-4B2D-B194-7ACF8EC9BAA7.jpeg

Edited by Waltermixxx
Add pics.

48 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

make that first found unoccupied slot :) empty or blank ATR's exist... it will trip someone up otherwise.. inevitably

*deep-breath* 

If you watch my vid on disk swapping, you can see the behavior. 

To fully articulate the feature's description:

The rotate's edge is the first unoccupied slot, some examples:

D1 DiskA.atr

D2 DiskB.atr

D3 DiskC.atr

Hit rotate, it becomes

D1 DiskB.atr

D2 DiskC.atr

D3 DiskA.atr

Hit rotate again, it becomes

D1 DiskC.atr

D2 DiskA.atr

D3 DiskB.atr

Hit rotate again, and we are back as we were

D1 DiskA.atr

D2 DiskB.atr

D3 DiskC.atr

If there are gaps, the first gap becomes the edge of the rotation, so e.g.

D1 DiskA.atr

D2 DiskB.atr

D3 DiskC.atr

D4 --- BLANK ---

D5 SomethingElse.atr

D6 AndAnotherThing.atr

Hit rotate, it becomes

D1 DiskB.atr

D2 DiskC.atr

D3 DiskA.atr

D4 -- BLANK ---

D5 SomethingElse.atr <-- still in same place

D6 AndAnotherThing.atr <-- still in same place

So as you can see, anything beyond the blank slot is unaffected. This was literally put in to handle games and programs that only support a single drive. e.g. games, or productivity software that expects you to swap out data disks.

-Thom