IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

@everyone I tested cracked versions of EA software that were done by AtariAge members.

They only work if loaded from the local flash storage (SD or SPIFFS).

This is literally because while the copy protection code is partially bypassed, the code that determines sector timings isn't, and the load will fail if the sector timings aren't perfect.

The proper solution is to finally implement FETCH, which would grab the disk image across the network, copy it all to SPIFFS, and mount it there. Unmounts would cause the file to be deleted.

If anyone wants to help out before I get around to implementing this, the ticket is here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi/issues/177

is there enough ram to hold the disk images? internal flash or external sd's wear out so much these days... spi flash file system can be slow, ever expanding, and failure rates vary.... maybe there is some OTA angle to work with... if there is no alternative then I'd go with SD card save or dual sd one for almost never changing data, the other for almost always changing data..... the always changing data card can last a heck of a long time as it will map out cell death for quite some time before total failure... and for our small file purposes that can be a darn long time into the future. Just spit ballin' here, no heavy breathing on the way

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

we're working on that. we've decided that the final version of the hardware will probably have 16 megabytes of flash.

Right now, we're trying to do tests with our 4 megabyte hardware to see if we can partition memory to make everything fit well enough to handle our code, OTA, and image storage (we need to store two disk images, + whatever gets fetched for an active drive slot with FETCH bit enabled)

-Thom

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 3:50 PM, tschak909 said:

we're working on that. we've decided that the final version of the hardware will probably have 16 megabytes of flash.

Right now, we're trying to do tests with our 4 megabyte hardware to see if we can partition memory to make everything fit well enough to handle our code, OTA, and image storage (we need to store two disk images, + whatever gets fetched for an active drive slot with FETCH bit enabled)

-Thom

Inexperienced and possibly simple thought here, but is it possible to store any of that cache on the SD card? Assuming the SD slot stays in the final design. I'm sure accessing data on the card is a lot slower than from an external flash chip, though. 

Can somebody help with how to do this part of the Platformio setup? I cant figure it out. 

Create a new file under include/ called ssid.h

For some features, such as Network Debugging, we need to know the SSID and PASSWORD of the network ahead of time. For this, a file inside include/ called ssid.h must be created, containing the following content:

#define WIFI_SSID "YourNetworkSSID"
#define WIFI_PASS "YourNetworkPassword"

Save the file. It will not be checked into version control, as it has been explicitly excluded in git.

#FujiNet #Atari8bit Showing how the TCP listen/unlisten functionality was added to the #FujiNet firmware, so that BBS software works, and tools to use it. #FujiNet #Atari8bit Showing how the TCP listen/unlisten functionality was added to the #FujiNet firmware, so that BBS software works, and tools to use it.

• Like 4

ath0 ath1 and of course dtr to drop or pick up as part of the modem emulation should connect here.

one of the items that varied from console server and serial to lan devices that became irksome was that some could report busy, refused, not found etc... and others just returned error or no carrier...

success

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Now, this is, of course, for the R: part of the #FujiNet.

the N: device uses a VERY different API, that's more like a network card, and gives you access to a lot more connectivity options. I am working through re-implementing that device into the firmware right now. (It's _Very_ complex, as the goal is to literally expose nothing more than a simple character interface for TCP or UDP connections to the Atari, and handle just about every aspect of it from the ESP itself, this includes any encryption or complex protocol interaction, HTTP for example will be abstracted, as will FTP, and SSH)

(There are some small limitations, the # of simultaneous TCP connections is limited to 4. We can squeeze 8 with some hacks to the IDF. Of course, UDP is connection-less, so I hope it becomes the preferred way to do network comms for games)

For anyone who wants to see this, feel free to look here at the network* files:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi/tree/master/platformio/FujiNet/lib/sio

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

I've been meaning to ask you to boost you microphone for quite some time... I though it was my small laptops fault but now that I have repaired my big laptop, the volume is low on that as well. I crank all the widgets and still can't hear you unless in a quiet room...

or headphones...

Edited by _The Doctor__

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I've been meaning to ask you to boost you microphone for quite some time... I though it was my small laptops fault but now that I have repaired my big laptop, the volume is low on that as well. I crank all the widgets and still can't hear you unless in a quiet room...

or headphones...

Ok, noted. I will turn up the gain on my mic, going forward.

-Thom

I've finished the next pcb revision of the FujiNet Hardware which has been ordered today (10pcs for prototyping). The 'vertical' design idea was taken from the SDrive2-PT recommended by @Mr Robot who also came up with the idea for the XL style case. This design allows FujiNet to be plugged directly into the Atari computer with quick access to the buttons while still allowing the the SIO chain to continue on through the receptacle port on the rear. Thanks to The Brewing Academy for printing a prototype case and test fitting it on these systems: 400/800/600Xl/800Xl/1200Xl/XEGS/130XE/65XE. The 1088XLD would only fit 1 of the 2 ports and it did not fit on the 1088XEL due to cables/ports in the way. 

Notable changes in this pcb (besides complete PCB redesign):

• 3 Buttons: RESET, FLASH (Disk Swap?), NEW: OTHER (BT on/off?)
  • 3 LED's: WiFi Connected, SIO Activity, NEW: BT Connected?
  • NEW ESP32 JTAG Port (Optional, unpopulated header port and diode required)
  • Larger SIO 5V Power Switch
  • Larger SMD Resistor Array

Vertical-Proto-1.png.ff2453be7e5459c26a366dce99bfd417.png

Vertical-Proto-2.png.6e24595727608330be7561ed5f1d16ac.png

Vertical-Proto-4.png.05f6206acda4389a6085f353a32e2880.png

Vertical-PCB-2.thumb.png.fbdb1f3ee7dc5e8573f669c26a553215.png

IMG_20200405_165243717_1.thumb.jpg.f63b141d6c7f32f5ebf08d1ae0b7cfb8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mathy said:

That is looking very nice, would be nice if somebody could find the right color to match the XL series.

Is there a chance that you would design an XE version?

Thanks! @Mr Robot found this Cream color filament that is pretty close to the original Atari XL color. I used it on the previous prototype:
IMG_20191212_234230079_1.thumb.jpg.4d31c1d78ff85d0d564020e4c5a88a84.jpg

In a medium sized batch run though, it is probably not possible to match the color.

Yes, I have thought about an XE version too. We'll see what I can come up with.

In other news, with some help I tested the SIO Audio line from FujiNet today. It's nothing to write home about, but at least shows that it 'works'. Using the ESP32 DAC we output a sine wave to the Atari. It makes for interesting SIO loading sounds :D:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kerobaros said:

Well, I had ordered a couple of NodeMCU 32 boards to try to breadboard one of these out, but it looks like the project might be progressing past that state, haha. Looking forward to purchasing one when they're available!

You can indeed use a NodeMCU (ESP32) board, if you wish, just follow the schematics. :)

-Thom

@jeffpiep continues his quest for perfect printer emulation. He has successfully embedded a custom font for the Atari 822 thermal printer, and we have successfully opened the file on multiple targets, and even printed the result on two different printers!

The PDF specimen can be retrieved here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Rfxq7Xj16PlJLvUhJqJZvv6h4YfLulu

And the printed results, courtesy of @mozzwald

IMG_20200405_202905256_1.jpg

And even from a thermal printer. :)

IMG_20200405_203542990.jpg

Seriously, between this and the progress on the N: device, and the progress @mozzwald has made on the next spin of the hardware, it has seriously made my week. :)

-Thom

• Like 8

On 4/5/2020 at 6:42 PM, mozzwald said:

I've finished the next pcb revision of the FujiNet Hardware which has been ordered today (10pcs for prototyping). The 'vertical' design idea was taken from the SDrive2-PT recommended by @Mr Robot who also came up with the idea for the XL style case. This design allows FujiNet to be plugged directly into the Atari computer with quick access to the buttons while still allowing the the SIO chain to continue on through the receptacle port on the rear. Thanks to The Brewing Academy for printing a prototype case and test fitting it on these systems: 400/800/600Xl/800Xl/1200Xl/XEGS/130XE/65XE. The 1088XLD would only fit 1 of the 2 ports and it did not fit on the 1088XEL due to cables/ports in the way. 

Notable changes in this pcb (besides complete PCB redesign):

• 3 Buttons: RESET, FLASH (Disk Swap?), NEW: OTHER (BT on/off?)
  • 3 LED's: WiFi Connected, SIO Activity, NEW: BT Connected?
  • NEW ESP32 JTAG Port (Optional, unpopulated header port and diode required)
  • Larger SIO 5V Power Switch
  • Larger SMD Resistor Array

Vertical-Proto-1.png.ff2453be7e5459c26a366dce99bfd417.png

Vertical-Proto-2.png.6e24595727608330be7561ed5f1d16ac.png

Vertical-Proto-4.png.05f6206acda4389a6085f353a32e2880.png

Vertical-PCB-2.thumb.png.fbdb1f3ee7dc5e8573f669c26a553215.png

IMG_20200405_165243717_1.thumb.jpg.f63b141d6c7f32f5ebf08d1ae0b7cfb8.jpg

Very nice, but will it clear the monitor port on an 800? There is only about 3/4 inch (19mm) between SIO port and monitor port.

Edit: Also, the SIO port is recessed about 5/16 (8mm) or so on an 800. Could the SIO plug be moved left so it will plug in to the back of a 1050 and cover the drive select switch and clear the 1050's power port?

Edited by Kyle22

7 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Very nice, but will it clear the monitor port on an 800? There is only about 3/4 inch (19mm) between SIO port and monitor port.

Edit: Also, the SIO port is recessed about 5/16 (8mm) or so on an 800. Could the SIO plug be moved left so it will plug in to the back of a 1050 and cover the drive select switch and clear the 1050's power port?

I have it on good authority that it was physically tested on every model mentioned.

Don't know about the 1050, but any change you made would have to take into account how it would affect every other available A8 model.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

You would not want the fujinet behind your disk drive... you couldn't get to all the buttons and that big ole aluminum heat shield in there could reflect your wifi bye bye... It's great if it fits leaving all the floppy ports accessible as well but in practice the fujinet wants to be in the computers directly with everyone else plugged into it's pass thru sio chain while it's buttons remain at your fingertips

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I verified the case fit on my 400 which measures ~19mm from SIO port to Power switch and it fits. The SIO Plug is dead center on the FujiNet and is long enough to bottom out in the SIO port on all the systems tested. The recess is not a problem.

IMG_20200407_074257203_1.thumb.jpg.042d35f62c405e264412c1e9de45dcda.jpg IMG_20200406_203447603_1.thumb.jpg.29bb15edbb63882b7f616fb5c7442760.jpg

Also checked it on the 1050 drive. It would probably not fit well in the port next to the power input, but the other port is fine. Drive select switch is still accessible. 

IMG_20200407_075155626_1.thumb.jpg.1a680923c3e709c31c0d70a941304e5f.jpg

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You would not want the fujinet behind your disk drive... you couldn't get to all the buttons and that big ole aluminum heat shield in there could reflect your wifi bye bye... It's great if it fits leaving all the floppy ports accessible as well but in practice the fujinet wants to be in the computers directly with everyone else plugged into it's pass thru sio chain while it's buttons remain at your fingertips

You can get to the buttons ok, but LED's are hidden. The wifi antenna would be below the top of the drive case and probably behind the shield which could degrade the signal, but I expect it could work depending on distance to your router.

• Like 2