IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

First of all THANK YOU to everyone working on this awesome project!

I built my own Fujinet using a ESP WROOM 32 board.

Everything works great on my 800XL, but on my 800 Everything works great EXCEPT I have VERY low volume, have to turn volume all the way up to hear the sio beeps and game sounds/music. Otherwise all is well. Any insight? 

Also I guess the fujinet has to be plugged in directly to the Atari. I tried hooking up to my Lothark SIO hub and it does not boot that way on either the 800 or 800xl.

Thanx Again!

Doug, NJ

IMG_20200408_174636.jpg

IMG_20200408_174457.jpg

IMG_20200408_174508.jpg

IMG_20200408_174636.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Everything works great on my 800XL, but on my 800 Everything works great EXCEPT I have VERY low volume, have to turn volume all the way up to hear the sio beeps and game sounds/music. Otherwise all is well. Any insight? 

Also I guess the fujinet has to be plugged in directly to the Atari. I tried hooking up to my Lothark SIO hub and it does not boot that way on either the 800 or 800xl.

Thanx Again!

Doug, NJ

IMG_20200408_174636.jpg

IMG_20200408_174457.jpg

IMG_20200408_174508.jpg

IMG_20200408_174636.jpg

Nice job!  You even made a case for it! 

As for the 800: I don't see how this would have anything to do with the volume your 800 is generating, especially with applications/games.  Is the volume different using other sources like a cartridge?

Another thing to try would be to unplug the FujiNet interface after the application/game loads.  If it's causing some kind of problem on the SIO interface, that would surely prove it.

Edited by jamm

8 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Thanx Again!

Doug, NJ

Maybe it's a power problem. Can you try powering the FujiNet from usb while it's attached to the atari? Measure the SIO 5V line voltage at the FujiNet.

18 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I'm curious if you have any other devices plugged in to the SIO hub when you test with the FJ. 

34 minutes ago, jamm said:

Nice job!  You even made a case for it! 

As for the 800: I don't see how this would have anything to do with the volume your 800 is generating, especially with applications/games.  Is the volume different using other sources like a cartridge?

Another thing to try would be to unplug the FujiNet interface after the application/game loads.  If it's causing some kind of problem on the SIO interface, that would surely prove it.

Sound comes back to normal when unplugging Fujinet after game loads.

This only happens on the 800, not the 800XL 

39 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Maybe it's a power problem. Can you try powering the FujiNet from usb while it's attached to the atari? Measure the SIO 5V line voltage at the FujiNet.

fujinet running from sio: 5.00 volts, lowest I saw was 4.96 when loading something. I cant seem to get it work using external usb power and throwing the switch to diable sio power. The ESP32 boots and get green wifi light, but no sio activity when I turn the atari on

double check you SIO cord wiring, make sure the 800 isn't feeding 5 and 12 to the wrong place and that your external power does not feed through... double check pokey etc. does your other devices like datacassette or alien audio device sound full strength?  if not clean and re seat sio interconnect on the power board and the same for all other chips /cards in the audio path including monitor jack cord cable...

9 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

fujinet running from sio: 5.00 volts, lowest I saw was 4.96 when loading something. I cant seem to get it work using external usb power and throwing the switch to diable sio power. The ESP32 boots and get green wifi light, but no sio activity when I turn the atari on

Strange stuff. What diodes are you using for sio 5v and data in?

On 3/10/2020 at 11:57 PM, jamm said:

I found a pretty cheap Micro SD PCB:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791255542.html

There are a bunch of cheap PCB's meant for Arduinos, but I imagine the extra resistors (?) they have would make them inapplicable for use with the ESP32?  Example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867572635.html

Hi @jamm 

Are these micro sd pcbs any good (the first ones you linked to, not the Arduino ones with the extra resistor)? I was planning to order a few, but thought I would ask if they were any good.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi @jamm 

Are these micro sd pcbs any good (the first ones you linked to, not the Arduino ones with the extra resistor)? I was planning to order a few, but thought I would ask if they were any good.

Thanks!

I decided to hold off on adding the SD card interface until I was sure I was able to get the rest of the FujiNet adapter working, so I don't know!  Putting together the FJ adapter on a breadboard turned out to be very easy, and it's working fine, but there's plenty to test just on the networking side, so I haven't been in a hurry to get one of the SD holders.  Let us know if you try one yourself!

Here's what my ugly breadboard looks like ?

breadboard.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, Fierodoug5 said:

This only happens on the 800, not the 800XL 

It's a power thing, kind of like the 800 will not power the SDrive-MAX good enough to boot to it without external power.  Power the FujiNet device via USB and try again, I have a feeling it will work correctly.  I have the same issue with SDrive's, they work fine on anything other than the original 800's. 

I haven't had any luck getting it to boot with USB power yet. The esp32 fires up, but no sio activity. Will try again tonight. I checked my interface board wiring again last night and checked out ok as per the schematics and no bridged connections. Anyone used their homemade fujinet on a 800, or 400?

6 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I haven't had any luck getting it to boot with USB power yet. The esp32 fires up, but no sio activity. Will try again tonight. I checked my interface board wiring again last night and checked out ok as per the schematics and no bridged connections. Anyone used their homemade fujinet on a 800, or 400?

I'll give my 800 a try over the weekend, but the fact that your setup isn't working when powered off USB (even with the otherwise working 800XL, if I understood correctly) suggests something fundamental isn't right.

Ok, did some Diag work on the fujinet tonight, here is where I am at

1) Fixed the issue with powering unit from usb cable(small power wiring issue on my interface board) now I can power from SIO or USB

2) Still Very low volume on atari 800, load a game from fujinet, unplug fujinet, sound comes back to normal level(does this on SIO and USB power)Note:Sound work fine on a Atari 800XL

3) Remove SIO pin "AUD IN" from sio connector, now have proper volume on atari 800, Fujinet seems to work fine(Both with SIO or USB power)

4) Use Lathorek SIO Hub(SIO from atari 800 or 800xl to SIO hub, Fujinet plugged into hub. Boot goes to basic(or memopad on 800) Fujinet does not boot(both with SIO and USB power)

5) Remove SIO hub, plug fujinet end of Sio chain(back of my atari 1010), Fujinet boots fine with USB power, Will NOT boot with SIO power

6) Add SIO hub back into the mix but Fujinet still in back of 1010, Fujinet will not boot with SIO or USB power

My current SIO chain is Atari 800-1050#1-1050#2-1010-SDriveMax(Fujinet was in the last spot for my test(Sdrive disconnected during test). I was hoping to use the Lothorek SIO Hub so I could still have the SDrive available.

The sound issue is only on the 800, sound was fine on the 800XL with the "Aud IN" pin installed

Everything on the Fujinet interface board is as per the ESP32 Fujinet Schematic

Thanx all the Help!

Doug    NJ

Everyone please send good vibes to @mozzwald, he has been in bed for the last couple of days showing symptoms. He says he's feeling better today.

Some good news, the latest revision of the board came back, and @mozzwald sent some pics. Note the vertical orientation:

IMG_20200410_150309279_1.jpg

IMG_20200410_151255515_1.jpg

Note the "other" button. :)

Here's to a healthy recovery for @mozzwald. He is the reason this project exists., and has turned out to be one of the most awesome individuals I've ever worked with.

-Thom

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Ok, did some Diag work on the fujinet tonight, here is where I am at

1) Fixed the issue with powering unit from usb cable(small power wiring issue on my interface board) now I can power from SIO or USB

2) Still Very low volume on atari 800, load a game from fujinet, unplug fujinet, sound comes back to normal level(does this on SIO and USB power)Note:Sound work fine on a Atari 800XL

3) Remove SIO pin "AUD IN" from sio connector, now have proper volume on atari 800, Fujinet seems to work fine(Both with SIO or USB power)

4) Use Lathorek SIO Hub(SIO from atari 800 or 800xl to SIO hub, Fujinet plugged into hub. Boot goes to basic(or memopad on 800) Fujinet does not boot(both with SIO and USB power)

5) Remove SIO hub, plug fujinet end of Sio chain(back of my atari 1010), Fujinet boots fine with USB power, Will NOT boot with SIO power

6) Add SIO hub back into the mix but Fujinet still in back of 1010, Fujinet will not boot with SIO or USB power

My current SIO chain is Atari 800-1050#1-1050#2-1010-SDriveMax(Fujinet was in the last spot for my test(Sdrive disconnected during test). I was hoping to use the Lothorek SIO Hub so I could still have the SDrive available.

The sound issue is only on the 800, sound was fine on the 800XL with the "Aud IN" pin installed

Everything on the Fujinet interface board is as per the ESP32 Fujinet Schematic

Thanx all the Help!

Doug    NJ

I just tested on my 800 and can confirm that the audio is significantly reduced while the FJ is plugged in.  Audio levels return to normal after unplugging it.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Tested with FN (I don't know why I keep wanting to write "FJ") plugged in to USB for power.  Tested voltage at SIO-side of R8 (AUDIN):

• Not plugged in to SIO: 0v
  • Plugged in to 800XL SIO while running audio self-test: multimeter reads ~1.5v, but slowly "drains" down and stays steady at 0.08v
  • Plugged in to 800 SIO sitting at SDX prompt: 3.75v