IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

In between naps, I've managed to assemble one of the latest FujiNet boards over the past few days. Happy to report that the board works with one major caveat; the SIO ports are on the wrong sides of the PCB :( Stupid mistake on my part, I failed to change which side they belong on the PCB. So, I have made it a "FrankenFuji" board instead. The SIO Plug is removed completely and the Receptacle is on the opposite side of the board where the Plug is supposed to be. This modification at least makes it usable as a dev board.

IMG_20200413_160459679_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.41915607ba07e00c471c03e88e3b7e3e.jpg

IMG_20200413_160614260_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.12c392d4e14527c22507d21b8ec8818a.jpg

While this seems like a setback, it's not really a big deal (other than the wasted expense and time). With the addition of the Text To Speech Printing with SAM, we realized that more RAM is needed in addition to the extra storage we have with the new 16MB flash. The ESP-WROVER modules are equipped with extra PSRAM that shares the SPI bus with Flash. This should give us enough extra RAM needed to handle the current and future features. Cost increase is minimal still ($5 for 16MB Flash with 8MB PSRAM in single quantities from Mouser). I have begun fixing and modifying the vertical PCB design to use the WROVER module instead.

Thanks to everyone for finding, testing and fixing the AUDIO IN problem. I will incorporate a fix in the next PCB.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mathy said:

@mozzwald: What are you gonna use for the pins on the SIO connector?  (The one that has been removed for now)

Sincerely

Mathy

Nothing, the FrankenFuji will only have the receptacle. I could put the plug on the other side, but it's kinda pointless since the LEDs would be on the back side and the plug would be too far away from the console to make good contact with the SIO port. Besides, I probably won't assemble anymore of the 10 boards I have. The next revision will fix my mistake and will have both connectors. This one will be kept for 'historical' reasons ;)

Hello mozzwald

1 minute ago, mozzwald said:

Nothing, the FrankenFuji will only have the receptacle. (snip) The next revision will fix my mistake and will have both connectors.

Let me rephrase my question: What are you going to use on the next revision for the pins on the male SIO connector?

Sincerely

Mathy

:D

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Let me rephrase my question: What are you going to use on the next revision for the pins on the male SIO connector?

Instead of having 2 SIO Receptacles like all Atari Peripherals, FujiNet will have a Plug and Receptacle. The SIO Plug is intended to connect directly into the console and the Receptacle on the backside of FujiNet allows the SIO chain to continue on to other peripherals. Like this:

IMG_20200405_165243717_1.thumb.jpg.a5da2f5de88990291128dc686f790408.jpg

My previous post has more pictures. I hope this answers your question.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

awesome but beyond tinny compared to what I normally hear S.A.M. as, can the alien voice box fit in there as well?

could be the mic or the video or my laptop speakers or coupling cap filtering....

Audio distortion is due to Impedance mismatch that will be corrected in the next hardware revision.

All known Votrax emulation concatenates diphone samples. This takes a considerable amount of RAM and flash, which is why we didn't initially try for it, and opted for SAM instead, which synthesizes everything (two sine functions and a pulse width modulation function to simulate the needed formants and noise coefficients), if someone wants to take a crack at it, go ahead :)

-Thom

the next hardware revision will bump up the flash storage size and the amount of accessible RAM considerably for a negligible bump on the BOM cost., so it may be worth a revisit. The SAM implementation was serendipity: there was a C implementation I was aware of, and it was very clear how to bring it in and make it work, so @jeffpiep did it. :)

With that said, we're beefing up the h/w literally because this project is wide open and compulsively public. I am trying to produce as many demos and deep dives as I can, so that anyone could say, "maybe I could add something" and have the space and power to be able to do something we didn't even think of.

• Like 1

Hello mozzwald

17 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Instead of having 2 SIO Receptacles like all Atari Peripherals, FujiNet will have a Plug and Receptacle. The SIO Plug is intended to connect directly into the console and the Receptacle on the backside of FujiNet allows the SIO chain to continue on to other peripherals. Like this:

IMG_20200405_165243717_1.thumb.jpg.a5da2f5de88990291128dc686f790408.jpg

My previous post has more pictures. I hope this answers your question.

To be honest, this...

IMG_20200407_074257203_1.jpg

... is not gonna work.  Unless somebody just invented Wireless SIO.

So no, that didn't answer my question.

Sincerely

Mathy

@Mathy The previous Ice Cream Sandwich prototype was the same way, just oriented differently.. a male SIO port on one end, a female port on the other:

20200413_193243.thumb.jpg.2a69ec52c380b1dbf3f58fd9d64018e3.jpg

20200413_193310.thumb.jpg.ff8c877cdbce6a14e35b7425a1ffe6a9.jpg

20200413_193321.thumb.jpg.18943f15b7cbba353d868c2d24ed82fc.jpg

This has worked out very well in our setups, we just put fujinet right at the back of the system, and plug the rest through the pass-through. The next revision will be the same idea, in just a vertically oriented case.

-Thom

• Like 1