IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

1 hour ago, Dropcheck said:

Hi Mozzwald,

Just a couple more questions.  Sorry about being a pain.......

RN1:  What is the value?

SS12D00G5 and SJ1:  I having problems finding what they are.  Do you have a link to the part listing on Mouser or Digikey or .......

Also pin 1 on Jtag, I'm assuming that it powers the ESP32 during programming, but the printed connection is to VCC not to a specific pin on the ESP-32.  ?

RN1 is 470 resistor network.

SJ1 is a solder jumper, not an actual part but 2 pads that can be bridged with solder to bypass the need for the switch. SS12D00G5 is an on/off slide switch not available from Mouser or Digikey (that I'm aware of). G5 is the stem length (5mm) so if you remove that you may get more results when searching. The switch is available from the usual China sources like Ali Express; I got mine from Amazon.

Yes, JTAG pin 1 is for powering the the ESP32. VCC is the combination of SIO_5V, USB_5V and JTAG power inputs (thru diodes) and is what powers the 3V3 regulator. JTAG should supply 5V to FujiNet if you want to use it, or just use the MicroUSB. I am using the ESP-PROG JTAG debugger which can supply 5V or 3V3 based on a jumper setting. The JTAG connector on FujiNet matches the cable supplied with ESP-PROG. I've added a VCC NetPort to the regulator in the schematic so it's more clear:

fujinet-esp32_03.2.thumb.jpg.3b56ec612d31eb72cc92b8b6b134777d.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

looks good, I'd make another set of slats in the rear middle area for our friends in the Equatorial areas as well as deserts and Texas... Can get pretty toasty in those areas...

14 hours ago, StickJock said:

Instead of slots in the middle, how about a few vents in the bottom?  That way you should be able to get some convection cooling by drawing in cooler air from the bottom and exhausting the warmer air at the top.

FujiNet-Vertical-XE-Style-Case-Vents1.png.620343984267e4c6696db85825f06b37.png FujiNet-Vertical-XE-Style-Case-Vents2.png.1ed15a985cb2573e9513848457481b40.png

I will test print this today and make sure the holes come out ok.

12 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I vote for a 400/800 looking one.

I'm also going to want one that looks good behind a 1200XL as soon as I have time to get it set up.

:)

About what are these things gonna cost w/ case?\

The case debate is something that needs to be figured out. I will not be printing the cases myself for the first run, only for prototypes. My single crappy printer is not up to par for a job like that. Injection molded cases are a non option unless we make thousands of FujiNet ($1000++ setup cost per mold is too expensive). So that leaves 3D printing from a service and the cost of printing the current case (2 parts) and both SIO connectors is roughly $25. 3D printing material colors are limited so matching original Atari colors is difficult. I have thought about just making a generic case that doesn't match any Atari style and use it, otherwise UserXE and User400/800 will complain that UserXL got special treatment if we only make XL style cases. Then, if you want a styled case to match your unit, print your own or have someone print it for you.

I'm open to suggestions on this.

• Like 4

I have been thinking about creating alumin(i)um molds with a CNC machine. Either build/acquire one myself, or print a Dremel holder for my 3D printer or have it milled at a makerspace. I don't think one can mill their own mold, send it to China, and have that used for injection molding. But you can fill your own mold with resin! You won't be churning out several pieces a minute, but with proper care (i.e. hardness, cure time, etc.) you could make one piece in half an hour. That's a lot faster than 3D printing and more accurate than a sillicone mold. Oh, so many ideas.... :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ivop said:

I have been thinking about creating alumin(i)um molds with a CNC machine. Either build/acquire one myself, or print a Dremel holder for my 3D printer or have it milled at a makerspace. I don't think one can mill their own mold, send it to China, and have that used for injection molding. But you can fill your own mold with resin! You won't be churning out several pieces a minute, but with proper care (i.e. hardness, cure time, etc.) you could make one piece in half an hour. That's a lot faster than 3D printing and more accurate than a sillicone mold. Oh, so many ideas.... :)

That would be awesome.  There has to be a way at this point to do something like that. 

1 hour ago, ivop said:

That's definitely an option but does require some up front cost for equipment and time to learn the skill. You would definitely need a vacuum chamber to remove air from the resin. Getting a (near) perfect mold (and several) of them would be important. Not sure if I'm up for the task ;)

4 hours ago, mozzwald said:

I will test print this today and make sure the holes come out ok.

Quick test print of the XE style case turned out ok. It's printable :D

IMG_20200419_100149613_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.31354c0064ba6db3133626143ab2da5e.jpg IMG_20200419_100220804_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.c70583db3722b0bab87cb220d7e682d1.jpg

• Like 8

Got a MicroSD Card hooked up to my homemade FujiNet today. Thought this might be useful to guys also making a unit.

I used a Sparkfun Transflash microSD breakout board, but any cheap breakout board will do. 

Wired it up as per the FujiNet Esp32 wiring diagram and it works great.

I designed a spot in the lid of my case to put the board(just hot glued it in).

Just type "SD" into a TNFS slot to access the card.

IMG_20200419_133626.jpg

IMG_20200419_135121.jpg

• Like 1

Local TNFS server Help

I can't connect to my local TNFS server running on a Win10 PC

I set up TNFS and have running on PC with a ATR in the file folder

Opened UDP port 16384 in Win10 and have port fowarding set up for the UDP port in my router

But cant connect on the Atari, just times out. 

I can connect to all the TNFS websites just fine

Thanx

Doug   NJ

5 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Local TNFS server Help

I can't connect to my local TNFS server running on a Win10 PC

I set up TNFS and have running on PC with a ATR in the file folder

Opened UDP port 16384 in Win10 and have port fowarding set up for the UDP port in my router

But cant connect on the Atari, just times out. 

I can connect to all the TNFS websites just fine

Thanx

Doug   NJ

You shouldn't need port forwarding if pc and fujinet are connected to the same router. I think just opening the port in windows firewall would be enough

Not that this is the case, but some routers have wifi to wifi isolation and wifi to internal network isolation, make sure the equivalents in your router are not selected.

Win 10 changes over time, they removed homegroup on later versions even

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

The new boards arrived yesterday. After much pain and suffering I'm happy to report that it's working. I guess this is FrankenFuji Part 2 ?. The WROVER module uses GPIO 16 & 17 for the internal PSRAM chip and those pins are not connected on the module at pins 27 and 28 like the WROOM module. We have been using those 2 GPIO for the SIO UART TX/RX. What I've done is move the MOTOR and COMMAND lines to GPIO 36 & 39 which are input only, then use GPIO 21 & 33 for SIO UART (you can pinmux the UART to just about any GPIO you want). 

I have also removed capacitor C4 which is part of the audio output. It was causing a constant high pitched squeal and ticking noise. It sounds fine on my 800XL without it.

Bodge wires:

Bodgery

XE Style case on the 800XL:

XE Style Case on the 800XL

Look at the size of that heap:

IMG_20200421_150101483.thumb.jpg.46519e91755b688b380b656b53c2fa6d.jpg
Updated Schematic:

FujiNet Vertical 03.3 Schematic

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Dropcheck said:

I know it's been said before, but please save me from having to dig through 33 pages of posts.  What is the software that the firmware is being developed with.  Not the test programs, but the firmware itself.

Thanks  :)

We are using PlatformIO with VS Code

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi/wiki/Board-Bring-up-for-PLATFORM.IO-code

#FujiNet #Atari8bit For the N: device, it is critical that we use interrupts to prevent constant polling of the #FujiNet for network status. The designers of SIO left us two pins for this purpose, and I show how we are using them in a version of #PLATOTERM.

Other news: @jamm has been a huge help in working on the firmware! He has implemented TYPE 1 SIO polling for the R: device, so that the R: device is loaded now exactly like an 850 interface. Thanks to @phaeron for his permission to use the Altirra R: handler firmware. :)

• Like 4