IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

7 minutes ago, jamm said:

This is an open source project, both in terms of software and hardware, for a reason.  Given that this project has the potential to be a huge boon to the entire community, thinking of it as doing "your work" vs. "their work" is a curiously flawed way of looking at things.

Come on. Let me know when some 20-something Google Go guys start contributing 6502 binaries. Open Source is not a magic wand for a 40 year old platform, used almost exclusively by guys over 50. I bet in 50 years, there won’t be a single Atari 8-bit website left, we’ll all be dead by then. The hardware will all be in a landfill except for maybe a museum. Let’s not kid ourselves that there’s going to be some renaissance for the Atari.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Come on. Let me know when some 20-something Google Go guys start contributing 6502 binaries. Open Source is not a magic wand for a 40 year old platform, used almost exclusively by guys over 50. I bet in 50 years, there won’t be a single Atari 8-bit website left, we’ll all be dead by then. The hardware will all be in a landfill except for maybe a museum. Let’s not kid ourselves that there’s going to be some renaissance for the Atari.

I respectfully disagree. I have a good feeling that the best is yet to come.

:)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don't understand what "20-something Google Go guys" have to do with this.  Regardless of age, there are people in this community with a good amount of programming experience in C/C++ and assembler - certainly enough to be contributing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jamm said:

I don't understand what "20-something Google Go guys" have to do with this.  Regardless of age, there are people in this community with a good amount of programming experience in C/C++ and assembler - certainly enough to be contributing.

45 in 3 months, full-time coder as my day job.  Sadly, I have no time nor energy to do A8 coding after slogging through shit for work 50 or 60 hours a week.  There's VBXE stuff I am trying to learn, but when I do have some free time (and decent weather), I am working on my other hobbies - my cars.  Oh yeah - yard needs cut twice a week, that's 4 to 5 hours gone.  I'm an oddball that still enjoys spending time with the wife, and I also like to get a few hours of sleep per night.

Sad reality of getting old I guess - I always thought I'd have more free time the older I got, but that is farthest from true at the moment.  This forum and one or two BBS calls per month are the extent of my current Atari time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Sad reality of getting old I guess - I always thought I'd have more free time the older I got, but that is farthest from true at the moment.  This forum and one or two BBS calls per month are the extent of my current Atari time.

Well, this I can totally relate to.  I happen to be in a situation where I can devote time to the project right now, but obviously most people aren't so lucky.  Admittedly I'm trading in most any other "leisure" activities for this, but I'm enjoying it tremendously and learning a lot, so it's a fair trade-off.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Stop making sense, Alfred. People hate that. I know how Thom feels, though, having tried a similar thing myself. It is frustrating.

• Sad 1

It's open source for a number of reasons. The main ones being preservation, as well as lowering the bar for participation. A lot of knowledge in this community is in danger of being locked forever in people's heads, out of very selfish reasons.

-Thom

• Like 3

ever since 'Pixels' movie came out there has been a user renaissance... just not as big on the coding side... it's been nice seeing the machines back in use in any event.

What's worse is... it's not always for selfish reasons but rather cognitive issues due to age possibly combined with health and/or disease. I applaud you for working through your medical issue and getting this done, sadly some of us only remember very little of how to accomplish any part of coding an even engineering aspect of this fine series of machines/hardware. (to be honest I am looking at myself for that statement). One of the only reasons I am here is because of persons such as yourself doing what you do... allowing for some enjoyment in times such as these.

Thank you,

_T D__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Long term preservations are very interesting things to study from a purely anthropological view. The one thing to note, is that there are always people interested, and that those interests grow and wane in sporadic cycles triggered by a large number of externalities.

My own selfish hopes of present-participation aside...

The point being, if you don't preserve the knowledge for the crowd that will be interested tomorrow, then it's gone. This is what angers and frustrates me more than present-participation, and it is the very reason that everything I do is public.

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, danwinslow said:

Stop making sense, Alfred. People hate that. I know how Thom feels, though, having tried a similar thing myself. It is frustrating.

Alfred's point only makes sense if you equate making something open source with asking the entire pool of programmers of all interests worldwide to participate.  I assume that's why he referred to "20-something Google Go guys".  I didn't think it needed to be stated explicitly that there's no expectation whatsoever that anyone outside of the Atari 8-bit community with programming experience would have any interest in contributing to the project.

I was kind of joking, and referring to his statement that there's not going to be an Atari renaissance. That's true enough, but doing stuff like this is fun and who knows, it could keep going for quite a while. My grandson is kind of into it - he says that the graphics are weird but the games are fun. I am giving him a 130xe for his 10th birthday and teaching him to program in BASIC as kind of an introduction to computers. It's perfect for that...its kind of like giving your kid a lawnmower or a volkswagon beetle or something to learn engine repair on- it's simple enough that it's easy to learn but complex enough that you can really do some cool stuff. I think the community here is great and there have been some really amazingly good stuff done. It's definitely not pointless, but it is true that it's going to remain kind of a niche thing. And now, back to the thread topic...

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 4

Try AtariWriter 80 /XEP, it does S: and E: so maybe something will be different....

Yeah, Later Sparta (s) want CON: so there's that....  it's been a peeve of mine the change to loosing letters to shortcutted A=D1 on up instead of DA: DB: DO:  so N: become drive 9 or whatever when grrrrr...

Edited by _The Doctor__

#Atari8bit #FujiNet I didn't expect to record TWO videos today, but I decided to fix #FujiNet so XDOS could boot, and in the process, tested the N: driver, and it works very well, just need to fix a couple of bugs.

Special thanks to @StefanD who helped me do the first pass of the assembler port many many months ago, which I used as a model to go forward.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Try AtariWriter 80 /XEP, it does S: and E: so maybe something will be different....

Yeah, Later Sparta (s) want CON: so there's that....  it's been a peeve of mine the change to loosing letters to shortcutted A=D1 on up instead of DA: DB: DO:  so N: become drive 9 or whatever when grrrrr...

I will need to implement a type 1 or type 3 poll for the N: device for AtariWriter Plus, as there is no opportunity to load my handler.

-Thom

Hi all,

So I grabbed a copy of NodeMCU ESP32 boards and I've got things hooked up right it seems as I can see the SIO traffic flying around but the config tool never seems to find the MAC address. I don't see any errors in the debugging log and I've tried both booting up and trying for the automatic load as well as using the U1MB+SIDE2 loader and loading the autorun.atr directly. Application loads up fine but never finds anything and the MAC is all zeroes.

Here's some output from the log and if I can provide anything else let me know or give me some suggestions about debugging the issues. Thanks in advance

FujiNet PlatformIO Started @ 41
Starting heap: 235500
[E][sd_diskio.cpp:739] sdcard_mount(): f_mount failed 0x(3)
SD Card Mount Failed
SD Card Type: NONE
fnConfig::load
fnConfig deleting configuration file and skipping SD check
disk MOUNT
mounting ATR to Disk: /autorun.atr
num_para: 5760
sectorSize: 128
num_sectors: 720
mounted.
NETWORK DEVICE 0x00 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x01 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x02 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x03 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x04 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x05 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x06 ADDED!
NETWORK DEVICE 0x07 ADDED!
MODEM ADDED!
using SPIFFS for printer storage
Printer output file (re)opened
~filePrinter
~printer_emu
Printer output file (re)opened
21 devices registered
SIO SETUP
SIO Voltage: 4733
Available heap: 177084
Setup complete @ 550 (509ms)
Starting web server on port 80
O_KEY: LONG PRESS
Index request handler
Opening file for parsing: '/www/index.html'
File_in_query request handler '/file?style.css'
File_in_query request handler '/file?selectedprinter.js'
File_in_query request handler '/file?logo.png'
File_in_query request handler '/file?printer.svg'

00:18.580 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
sioFuji::sio_process() called
ACK!
Fuji cmd: GET SSID
COMPLETE!

00:18.667 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:18.734 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:18.800 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:18.867 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:18.934 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.001 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.067 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.134 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.201 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.268 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.334 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.401 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.468 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.532 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
Fuji cmd: GET ADAPTER CONFIG
COMPLETE!

00:19.635 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.735 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.835 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:19.935 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.035 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.135 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.235 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.336 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.436 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:20.519 CF: 70 fd 00 00 6e
ACK!
Fuji cmd: SCAN NETWORKS
scanNetworks returned 1
COMPLETE!

00:26.139 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.227 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.294 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.360 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.427 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.494 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.561 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.627 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.694 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.761 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.828 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.894 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:26.961 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.028 CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.092 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.195 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.295 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.395 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.495 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.595 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.695 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.795 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.896 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:27.996 CF: 70 e8 00 00 59
ACK!
COMPLETE!

00:28.079 CF: 70 fd 00 00 6e
ACK!
Fuji cmd: SCAN NETWORKS
scanNetworks returned 2
COMPLETE!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jokker said:

Hi all,

So I grabbed a copy of NodeMCU ESP32 boards and I've got things hooked up right it seems as I can see the SIO traffic flying around but the config tool never seems to find the MAC address. I don't see any errors in the debugging log and I've tried both booting up and trying for the automatic load as well as using the U1MB+SIDE2 loader and loading the autorun.atr directly. Application loads up fine but never finds anything and the MAC is all zeroes.

Here's some output from the log and if I can provide anything else let me know or give me some suggestions about debugging the issues. Thanks in advance

Weird.  The web server is starting up and everything else looks relatively normal.  Can you send a screenshot of the FujiNet's web interface?  Looks like you succeeded in loading it since it served up the index page in "Opening file for parsing: '/www/index.html'"

Edited by jamm

13 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

OMG, edit those post and quotes and use code boxes/ spoilers!

I thought it was just the phone, but not,  it's turns out to be nearly as bad on a laptop or home computer!

Ha, as one who very recently had to dig through every Linux log imaginable to track down some weird issue, that blob of text looks pretty clean.  ?